">

Used & Abused...In Live We Trust

by AoR USER (1 Reviews)
February 27th, 2006 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

In Flames finally released a DVD. This DVD has 3 live shows (Hammersmith, Sticky Fingers, Soundtrack Tour). The live footage contains songs dating all the way back to Lunar Strain to the newer stuff (Reroute to Remain, Soundtrack To Your Escape). Used and Abused also has a second disc which includes Music Videos, Soundcheck Sessions, Backstage Interviews, etc. But the most important aspect...........Is it all any good? Read the rest to find out my opinion.

DISK 1:

Disk 1 features a live footage from Hammersmith, Sticky Fingers, and Soundtrack Tour. Hammersmith and Soundtrack Tour are played in larger venues, arenas if you will, while the Sticky Fingers show is played in a much smaller venue, probably seating no more than 200 fans. The Sticky Fingers show is intended to be the main feature of Disk 1 because it contains two full sets. Overall, a good presentation.

STEP BY STEP:{/B]

Hammersmith: This set was played at non other than London's Hammersmith. The set is short but sweet. The show starts off with Pinball Map.....an amazing performance at that. Two songs later you run into a tribute to the late and great Dimebag Derral as the band perform Pantera's F*cking Hostile which runs straight into Behind Space. So, a little something for everyone in this feature. Although the sound is a tad bit off, mainly with the vocals, it is an exceptional concert.
4/5

Sticky Fingers: This is the main feature of Used and Abused and it also is a two set show. The first set is all of the songs from 'Soundtrack to your Escape'. Now, although I was not a particular fan of 'Soundtrack', I do respect the fact that In Flames decided to do this. It shows that they know how to play all the songs more than once, and no matter what your thoughts were on 'Soundtrack' you cant deny how good they are live. A superb job.

The second set is basically all the classic In Flames songs we all know and love. All the songs date all the way back to Lunar Strain to Reroute to Remain. This wonderful set features the greats such as 'Pinball Map', 'Moonshield', 'Artifacts of the Black Rain', and pretty much all the stuff that got everyone started on In Flames.

Overall it was a good show. I am a little bothered by the fact that it is in such a small venue. There cant be more than 200 people packing the place, and the stage often looks too squeezed in but I think it was an acceptional job and the performance half way makes up for that.
4/5

Soundtrack Tour 2004: There isn't much to explain in this portion of the review. There is only two songs shown from this song and those are 'Only For The Weak' and 'Clayman' from the album "Clayman". Great live footage but it is only two songs. I am guessing because all of the songs were probably too similar to the other two sets that they decided not to show them, but I do not know for sure. Great stuff but not enough to fully pacify.
{B]2.5/5

DISK 2

This portion of the DVD features a little featurrette called 'Jester TV Universal Access' which consists of a hansom young asian man with multipled colored hair and facial hair. I thought that this segment was interesting but definatly loses your attention. I was hoping to see more backstage antics and silly horseplay but it is really nothing like that. Basically, it is this hansom asian man walking around backstage in different settings with a microphone asking the guys from In Flames questions. The interviews are decent but the featurrette is too long for what it is and you might find yourself losing interest. Some interesting facts and opinions from the guys, but nothing exciting.
2.5/5

There is also a section on Disk 2 where you may view all of the music videos from Soundtrack To Your Escape. Now, like I mentioned earlier, I am not a huge fan of Soundtrack and I know many others arent either, so if your not, this may not appeal to you. The production quality was acceptional but it just didn't appeal to me. I'll give this a 3/5 because it is only for a few people.

Last but not least, you get the soundchecks. This is basically a before-show rehearsal of 'Dial 595 - Escape' and 'Touch of Red' off of 'Soundtrack'. This is a pretty interesting little feature. Kind of shows what goes on during rehearsal. As In Flames lay down a mellow rehearsal, the sound and light crews work backstage. A nice touch.
3/5

Overall a decent DVD. The best to me was the live footage. I think In Flames are talented and a great live team despite what anyone thinks of their current efforts. They definatly show their experience and show that they love to put on a good show for their loyal fans. This DVD is getting a 4/5

AoR
February 28th 2006

Thanks for the Kudos, this was my first reviews and I apologize for some of the errors. Next time I'll try to be more careful about that kind of stuff.

Bfhurricane
February 28th 2006

This is a great DVD... in my opinion out of all "live concert DVDs" this comes in 2nd to Iron Maiden's "Rock in Rio." Yeah you cant deny there was a little too much STYE, but atleast they didnt only play that stuff like some bands who only play a lot of their newer material.

oh and i agree with the first response ^^pinball map is classic!

February 28th 2006

I was going to review this, but now I don't need to, great job. :thumb:

[quote=Jom]The thing that was most distracting about this DVD was the middle concert, where the band was packed in on that tiny stage... after seeing two humongous arenas filled to capacity, seeing them in a small little club was really odd.[/quote]123

Blackest_Eyes
June 19th 2006

nice review! Used And Abused is an EXCELLENT dvd. It has so much concert footage and has some extras too. Its definately worth the money.

wikuk
October 17th 2006

Does anybody know on which website I can find this one?

Drunken Viking
October 17th 2006

Try amazon.com, or I found it at Media Play.

carney3110
October 17th 2006

Bfhurricane's comment is about eight months old, but it's pretty ironic that he compares this to Maiden's Rock In Rio, then says he's glad IF doesn't play just new material, since that's almost exactly what Maiden is doing on their current tour. Not that the show I saw wasn't fricking amazing...

Altmer
February 23rd 2007

They didn't play that on RiR was his point, I guess.

OhMyGandhi
August 9th 2007

i In Flames' live show. I just think they shouldnt have played so much Soundtrack to your Escape crap. Everything else is great though.

i am the robots
October 1st 2007

its a two because anders sounds like hell

Aeksis8745
October 1st 2007

I love how they added a little extra to Behind Space on the second venue, Artifacts is amazing live as well.This Message Edited On 10.01.07

Sciroccu
January 19th 2008

The dvd is correct but wht did they make it on the "soundtrack to tour escape" album base ? It is one of their worth album. Yet the shows are great.

Poet
January 19th 2008

^Maybe because it was their newest album when it was taped.

I like the live version of Jotun more than the studio recorded version.

October 9th 2014

I want to watch this again.

November 11th 2015

Yet I still haven't watch this again.

October 13th 2021

I loved dvd this as a young teen. Very nostalgic just thinking about it. Fiend live and music video are some of my favorites.

InFlamesWeThrash666
October 13th 2021

Same here

Used to watch this every day

STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS // CONTACT US