The Offspring
Greatest Hits

good

by Green Baron USER (159 Reviews)
December 24th, 2012 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Well, at least they nailed the popular songs.

In 2003, after releasing their seventh album Splinter to mixed reviews, The Offspring went on a hiatus. Two years later, they put out a Greatest Hits album. With a catalog of over 90 songs over 21 years, one would expect the album to chock-full of hard punk tunes spanning the duration of their careers, starting with their self-titled album and ending with Splinter. One would expect songs from their heavy, angst-filled Smash days to their poppier, mainstream tunes on albums like Conspiracy of One. One would expect The Offspring's Greatest Hits to be a journey from their underground days in the late 80s and early 90s to their renowned success in the 00s.

However, that is not the case. Out of the band's wide catalog of singles from their seven albums, The Offspring's Greatest Hits consists of fourteen songs. Fourteen songs out of the band's ninety-somewhat anthems that they made. I was hoping they would go the Green Day route and release every single that was ever made, but alas, that is not the case.

The album opens with "Can't Repeat", a new song that was recorded specifically for the album. I like the song a lot, although it is nothing groundbreaking. Just take The Offspring's signature "Whoa-ohs", Dexter's distinct vocals, a catchy hook, and there you have it. After the new song comes "Come Out and Play (Keep 'Em Separated)", the song that got The Offspring big back in 1994. Wait up a second. What happened to songs from their first two albums, The Offspring and Ignition" You just missed the singles "I'll Be Waiting/Blackball" and "Kick Him When He's Down", and fast-forwarded ten years into the band's career!

After "Come Out and Play", we get two other singles from Smash, "Self Esteem" (which I am a big fan of), and "Gotta Get Away", a mediocre song that has Dexter singing off-key. It seems like they forgot "Bad Habit", which was an airplay-only single, but still a single nonetheless, and one that is still fairly remembered today. "Gone Away" and "All I Want" are the representatives of Ixnay on the Hombre, and are the two most radio-friendly singles from the album. What happened to "I Choose", "The Meaning of Life" and "Cool to Hate"" They were great singles too, even if they weren't mainstream successes!

Three out of the four Americana singles are featured, leaving out "She's Got Issues", which was a decent song about an angsty girlfriend. "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" and "Why Don't You Get A Job"" are part of this section, the two joke songs that got The Offspring even more known, albeit with criticisms that they were selling out. The latter is the better of the two, with lyrics about mooching boy/girlfriends and a tune that is purposely similar to The Beatles' "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da". The last song from the Americana era is "The Kids Aren't Alright", one of my favorite Offspring songs. It's a fast tune about how kids grow up to drugged-up idiots with messed up lives.

After that comes two songs from Conspiracy of One, "Original Prankster" and "Want You Bad". The latter is a mediocre pop-punk tune about how Dexter wants his girl to be kinky, tattooed and bad. The former is also subpar, featuring Dexter rapping the verses and vocals by the rapper Redman in the chorus. Those two singles were some of the worst songs from Conspiracy, which portrays the album in a negative light when my favorite song on the album, "Million Miles Away", was excluded from the Greatest Hits despite being the third single.

After "Want You Bad", we get "Defy You" (one of my favorite Offspring songs), which was on the soundtrack to Orange County, and features a hint of 90s alternative grunge in the bridge. The Splinter section features "Hit That", a mess of a song about teenage pregnancy. With its synth-keyboards and annoying blippy beat, "Hit That" fails to prove that The Offspring can make great songs with ska. "(Can't Get My) Head Around You" has a nice guitar solo and a catchy chorus, but doesn't really end the album well. "Spare Me the Details" was overlooked, continuing the trend of leaving out the lesser known singles, which is a shame, because it's one of their best ska-influenced tunes.

It's really disappointing that out of The Offspring's 22 singles, only 13 were picked. They left out some of the better Offspring singles in favor of the mainstream ones. Don't get me wrong, the mainstream songs deserved to be there, but so did the other singles. In the end, this is a good introduction to The Offspring, with some truly spectacular tunes, but you'll have to dig deeper in The Offspring's discography to find their best songs.

Linkin Park One More LightIncubus (USA-CA) 8
Highly Suspect The Boy Who Died WolfFrom Ashes To New Day One
Frank Turner Mittens3 Doors Down Us and the Night
Electric City EMERITUS (3)

metallicaman8 (4)

Cormano

great username

ChopSuey
December 23rd 2012

greatest hits are only good for singles bands

December 23rd 2012

Agree with you on the lack of I Choose, Meaning of Life and Million Miles Away, especially I Choose. Million Miles Away is the only song I really remember being worth a damn from Conspiracy and the only song I liked off of Splinter was Race Against Myself (which wasn't a single so can't expect it to be here). I think they crapped out pretty hard after Americana.

Still can't get enough of Defy You, Gone Away and The Kids Aren't Alright. Absolutely love those songs.

Gwyn.

Kids Aren't Alright totally rules

December 23rd 2012

yeah this greatest hits compilation isn't anything special. i'll just stick with smash

Digging: Pistol Annies - Interstate Gospel

December 23rd 2012

Even though I have them rated the same, I would take Ixnay over Smash. Ixnay is their best album and Kids Aren't Alright is their best song, imo.

I've never heard their self titled. For the longest time, I thought Ignition was their first album.

December 23rd 2012

Ixnay rules too, but this is mostly their singles which aren't as good as their others songs.

December 23rd 2012

True. They have a fairly decent ratio of good non-singles to good singles though. The bad singles are just terrible tho, lol.

I enjoyed the review, btw. I have never really saw the point of reviewing GH albums, but this was actually a pretty good read.

DrGonzo1937
December 24th 2012

I always loved listening to these guys with just their albums anyway. But yeah, a poor choice of songs.

insomniac15
December 24th 2012

It sucks that they left out some great songs. Can't Repeat is a really great song however. Anyway, Greatest Hits compilations are rarely worth listening. The singles are often some of the weakest tracks of a band.

Digging: The Ocean - Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic

Minus.
December 24th 2012

I never really cared for greatest hits albums.

sublimefan1991
December 24th 2012

did you really gripe about them not including songs off their first two albums? you do realize that none of those songs received airplay, spawned legit singles or music videos, and nor did those albums sell even moderately well until after smash brought them fame, right?

Green Baron
December 24th 2012

That was a small gripe, but my main gripe is with the singles from their albums like Ixnay, Conspiracy, etc. Those were great songs, but they were overlooked because they weren't as popular.

Digging: mewithoutYou - [Untitled]

CutMan

1918 Comments

It's kind of an unrealistic gripe, too, it's a "greatest hits" album. If they're not "hits", let alone "greatest" ones, it shouldn't reeeaaallly be a gripe...

Songs overlooked weren't big enough for the album, I'd assume. *shrugs*

Green Baron
December 27th 2012

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Green Day, who gave us a 21-track singles collection on International Superhits.