The Lawrence Arms
Buttsweat and Tears

by Trebor. STAFF
December 11th, 2012 | 11 replies

Review Summary: A new hope for a new album

Oh boy has it been a long time since Oh! Calcutta! came out. Six long years to be exact, and I think The Larry Arms knew it was going to take so long with their side projects and families and what not. I also think they felt bad, so in 2009 they released this little ditty, a sort of Sorry 4 Tha Wait Lil Wayne style. "Buttsweat and Tears" is a five song teaser of the new direction the band is heading in for their next record, showing off how the boys are more mature, better songwriters, and just better musicians in general. Songs like "Slowest Drink" and "Them Angles" have some of the band's most impressive guitar chops and catchy choruses. Don't worry though, the sense of humor is still there, I mean just look at the album title. From the Half Baked references in "Redness In The West," to the drunken tale of getting kicked out of a wedding on "Demons," the boys show they still got it even with kids and receding hair lines in tow. It's pretty amazing that a band this far into their career can still sound so inspired and be at the top of their game. It's a shame that it's been three years and we still don't have a new Lawrence Arms records in hand, but Buttsweat and Tears is certainly worth the wait and does a perfect job of getting fans stoked for a new record.