Intervals
In Time

by crazybrennen USER (1 Reviews)
October 27th, 2012 | 6 replies

Review Summary: Intervals is a very talented instrumental progressive metal band (you could call them "djent" if you like). If you like Animals as Leaders or Periphery, check out their EP "In Time". It will not disappoint.

I am a total progressive metal junkie but I have never written an album review until now. When I saw The Human Abstract calling for writers to review what they called “a marvellous new metal album from one of our favourite bands”, I decided it was time for me to enter the world of writing. So I was enlisted to write this review for a band called Intervals. I had heard of Intervals before but I had never given them a thorough listening.

Intervals is an instrumental prog metal band who are releasing their second EP called “In Time” on October 30th, 2012. The lack of vocals is the main reason why I wasn’t instantly hooked when I first heard them. When I listen to “In Time”, I occasionally feel like the music is lacking vocals. However, the lack of vocals allows the listener to focus on the superb instrumentation.

Intervals seems to be following the “djent” movement. Their low and rhythmic guitar grooves provide a solid backbone and foundation for their songs. The guitarists in the band are incredibly talented! The drums and bass are also fantastic as they groove along to complex rhythms. All of the instruments are perfectly executed.
The lead guitars are very technical. If you like tapping riffs, check this EP out. There is a little bit of variety in their playing styles. They play some good harmonies and some good ambient stuff. I would like to hear them try a bit more experimentation with some other playing styles. I could imagine some acoustic, classical or jazz guitar sounding really nice.

In conclusion, I think Intervals is a very talented band that any fan of prog metal should check out. This EP flows very well and stays interesting from start to finish. If they find a bit more creativity and increase their originality, they have potential to go down in history as one of the best instrumental prog metal bands. As of now, they are still not on the same level as Animals as Leaders.

If you like Animals as Leaders and Periphery, check this EP out now! I will certainly be going to see Intervals live as soon as I get the chance. I will also be checking out their first EP “The Space Between” as soon as I get the chance.

• Thanatopsis (4)
    Intervals' second offering is a tasty, easy-to-swallow morsel that could whet the appetite...

zyglrob (4)
    A powerful, memorable and moving twenty or so minutes of fiery riffery interdispersed with...

jinkypoodle (3)
    A follow up to their successful debut EP by progressive instrumental metal band Intervals....

MelosMindStream (4.5)
    Although plagued by a few technical issues and an oversaturated scene, Intervals manage to...

• jmaas (4)
    In Time features the familiar sounds of catchy riffs and melodic undertones that can draw ...

JordanKTM (4)
    Sometimes you find yourself simply wanting to jam out to some metal that doesn’t have vo...

menawati
October 27th 2012

"All of the instruments are perfectly executed."

you cant execute instruments

Calc
October 27th 2012

"Intervals is an instrumental prog metal band"

"When I listen to “In Time”, I occasionally feel like the music is lacking vocals"

right...

Your grammar and formatting was actually good for a 1st review but the content is horrible. You need to actually review the release in depth and not spend 3 paragraphs talking about nothing and who the band sounds like.

Digging: Karas - Karas

FrozenVain
October 27th 2012

There is absolutely nothing in this review that describes the actually sound. You are basically just praising the members for their skill with instruments.
It's not a horrible review though. Keep working on them.

J0ckstrapsFTW
October 29th 2012

Im liking this a lot. I really dug their last release too. Dat solo in Mata Hari m/

ikarus
October 30th 2012

why on earth is there 7 reviews of this bloody thing, none of them are written terribly well

paradox1216
October 30th 2012

Amazing ep, bad review. You need to go more in depth and not just go "wow dese guitars r gewd".