Tony Sly
12 Song Program

by Atari STAFF
October 17th, 2012 | 21 replies

Review Summary: Armed with an acoustic guitar, this is Tony Sly at his very best.

We surely lost one of the true greats a few months ago with the untimely death of musician Tony Sly. For those who don’t know, he was the force behind the punk turned pop punk band No Use For A Name. Throughout his career he had proven to be a dedicated and talented musician. His band released nearly ten full lengths (the last being in 2008) and he was actively doing acoustic shows with Joey Cape of Lagwagon. Before he passed, we were fortunate enough to get two acoustic solo albums from the punk pioneer. The first of the two, 12 Song Program is the perfect example of his talent as a singer/songwriter.

It’s rather difficult to pinpoint a specific genre on Sly’s first acoustic album. Don’t go into it expecting just a bunch of acoustic pop punk songs because that presumption couldn’t be further from the truth. This was Sly’s chance to be creative outside of his band and he wasn’t afraid to toy with different sounds. ‘Amends’ has a definite country influence to it, but it’s very upbeat and features guest vocals from none other than Joey Cape. Both singers compliment each other very well, but they never sound better than when they are flawlessly harmonizing together. Sly’s vocals are also impressive on ’Keira’ and the guitar picking seems to be inspired by folk. Other songs such as the standout ‘Capo, 4th Fret’ lean towards more of a straight up acoustic rock sound and are highlighted by Sly’s beautiful singing. He certainly has a lower voice than most singers and it helps add to the emotion of the album. Rather than sounding high pitched or whiny, his voice fits every song rather nicely.

Accompanying Sly’s unique singing voice are honest and heartfelt lyrics that are likely to hit home with many people. In the more somber songs, he sings lines such as “The sound of ice in a bottomless glass tells me that all is fine” or “The sun is coming out, but only on one side of this one-sided town”. Those still curious of the mood of the album should look no further than the album cover of a man sitting alone at a bar. That’s not to say there aren’t some upbeat songs, but for the most part it is a gloomy record that captures the undeniable talent of the late Tony Sly.

For those who haven’t had a chance to hear No Use For A Name or Sly’s acoustic material, 12 Song Program is a great place to start. It’s likely to please almost anyone with its influences of folk, country, and rock, but those who enjoy acoustic guitars are in for a real treat. The album is one of Tony Sly’s greatest accomplishments that will hopefully be remembered for years to come. RIP TONY.

Circuit Des Yeux Reaching For IndigoNadia Reid Preservation
Phoebe Bridgers Stranger in the AlpsSannhet So Numb
The Lurking Fear Out Of The Voiceless GraveNeun Welten The Sea I'm Diving In

October 16th 2012

Didn't write a review today oops

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

October 16th 2012

Haha sall good this is a short one.

Digging: Langhorne Slim - Lost At Last, Vol 1

SgtPepper
October 16th 2012

Good review. I think I've heard of this guy, but I've never listened to his music. May check him out though. POS'd.

October 16th 2012

thanks man. Here's a link of the song featuring Joey Cape of lagwagon if anyone wants to check it out.

October 16th 2012

I kind of forgot about No Use for a Name. I haven't heard them in years.

October 16th 2012

Nufan were sooo good they never made a bad album

October 16th 2012

I had Hard Rock Bottom when I was in high school. I remember really liking it, but I lost it when I was younger and still have yet to find it after all these years.

October 16th 2012

Lol hard rock bottom was the first review I ever did for this site and it sucked hehe

Ha ha. Oh, the memories.

That's too bad about him passing away. Did they say what happened to cause his death?

October 16th 2012

I'm not sure the cause was unknown but maybe they found something out? I'll have 2 research it more

October 17th 2012

Not sure what that means haha but thanks man

Nice, short review

Digging: Brand New - Science Fiction

Lambda
October 17th 2012

I added this album to the database yayayayay and good review too

October 17th 2012

Thanks guys yeah it makes me sad this only has 3 ratings!

October 17th 2012

yeah RIP hard. still need to listen to his second acoustic album as well as his splits with Joey Cape.

menawati
October 17th 2012

"Don’t go into it expecting just a bunch of acoustic pop punk songs because that presumption couldn’t be further from the truth. "

This sentence makes me want to listen. Nice review pos.

Digging: Motorpsycho - The Tower

October 17th 2012

Ha thanks for checking out the review and yeah you might like it especially if you like acoustic guitars.

menawati
October 17th 2012

song you linked is good, will explore more

October 17th 2012

Nice yeah that one definitely has a country vibe to it IMO.

You're the man menawati. it's cool that we can get enjoyment out of each others reviews even though we have different musical taste.

sonic have you even heard Tony Sly or NUFAN? Lol