NOFX
Self Entitled

by Atari STAFF
September 11th, 2012 | 89 replies

Review Summary: Self Entitled is NOFX's past, present, and future...

Twelve albums into their career, NOFX is a band that needs no introduction. They have been making music longer than most people on this site have been alive. What many people probably don’t know, however, is that Fat Mike recently got a divorce after a lengthy eighteen year marriage. He also faced the tragedy of losing both of his parents in 2006. The reason I’m telling you this is because it’s clear that these events have made a slight, yet noticeable difference in the bands music. They haven’t lost their sense of humor, but the lyrics on some songs suggest a newfound sense of maturity.

The first evidence the band was maturing was found on ‘My Orphan Year’ from the album "Coaster", in which Fat Mike sings of the loss of his parents. It was one of the best songs on the album, proving the band can still make great punk music using a more serious lyrical approach. They succeed in doing this again on Self Entitled’s eleventh track ‘Ive got one Jealous again, again’. The song is about what Mike was able to keep and what he lost to the divorce. The ballad is full of lyrics like “I parted with my Neurosis, but I kept the Lookouts, I got the record player but I didn't get the house”. What’s interesting about this song is it’s more of an ode to Mike’s love for music than it is a sappy song about divorce. It’s honesty and its clever lyrics make it one of the most impressive tracks.

The rest of the album is filled with the humorous, fast paced punk songs NOFX are generally known for. The opener ’72 Hookers’ starts with a catchy riff and stands out as one of the most hilarious songs on the album. I won’t give the lyrics away, but I’ll just say the song suggests the worlds oldest profession could help promote world peace or even prevent terrorism. It’s a fitting way to start the album and its sound is reminiscent of their work on "The War On Errorism" or "Pump Up The Valuum". The next two songs ‘I Believe in Goddess’ and ‘Ronnie and Mags’ are pretty much your typical NOFX songs, but that’s by no means a bad thing. The first of the two is an extremely catchy 90 second song where Mike pokes fun at religion. Another standout has to be ‘She didn’t Lose Her Baby’ which shows off the bands darker side as they sing about somebody’s drug addiction causing them to lose their child. Although it may not sound funny to some, NOFX is just pointing out flaws in our society which is something they’ve always done, but usually with a sense of humor.

When it comes down to it, Self Entitled is NOFX’s past, present, and future. Many of the jams on here will remind you of their older albums, while others will remind you of songs off of "Wolves in Wolves Clothing" or "Coaster". However, they also give us a sense of what’s to come in future releases with a welcome improvement in song-writing. There is also more consistency in the music here than the bands last two albums which also gives us an idea of what they have in store for us. If they continue down this path their thirteenth full length will likely be Fat Mike’s most personal record to date. Hopefully they won’t ever ditch their humor or controversial lyrics, but at least we know the band is willing to try something new.

Circuit Des Yeux Reaching For IndigoNadia Reid Preservation
Phoebe Bridgers Stranger in the AlpsSannhet So Numb
The Lurking Fear Out Of The Voiceless GraveNeun Welten The Sea I'm Diving In
3.2
good
NeoSpaz (3.5)
Another NOFX album but without the usual filler. Is change on the horizon?...

Solisis

this band kinda sucks

Satellite

decent album

band was young sat's favorite band

Digging: Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide To Earth

September 11th 2012

yeah I liked it better than their last 2 and I feel like it shows they still have potential.

Digging: Langhorne Slim - Lost At Last, Vol 1

Ire

41948 Comments

best band when i was 16

oh wait that wasn't too long ago

kris.
September 11th 2012

band rules hard can't wait to hear this

skoopy48
September 11th 2012

band rules, album is great and a good return from coaster

September 11th 2012

yeah I actualy liked 'My Orphan Year' from Coaster a lot though.

Voivod

Good review, pos.

I gotta get into this band some day.

Digging: Fleurety - The White Death

September 11th 2012

@voivoid, thanks man ya I'd start with their older stuff like Punk in Drublic or So Long and Thanks for all the shoes.

@andcas, have you listened to this album. It's better than their last two.

September 11th 2012

@voivoid, or maybe just start with the greatest songs ever written (by us). that has most their best songs on it.

Good review
I won't be listening to this

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

thanks haha fair enough.

September 11th 2012

I'm thinking of changing the summary and am looking for feedback. Should I keep it how it is or change it to something along the lines of this:

On Self Entitled NOFX recreate sounds from their past and give us an idea of what to expect from the band in the future.

September 11th 2012

Good review pos'd. First two songs are hella catchy. Ronnie & Mags I didn't really like at all. Gonna listen to the rest later.

September 11th 2012

Thanks man. Did you see my comment about whether I should change the summary?

September 11th 2012

I think the way it is fits, but the change you suggest also looks appropriate. Coin flip it, bro.

September 11th 2012

summary is good, catchy and simple

September 11th 2012

Thanks guys I decided I'm just gonna keep it how it is

September 11th 2012

Listened to the whole album. It was pretty good. Nothing spectacular, a few songs I didn't like and a few songs I liked a lot.

September 11th 2012

Nice. Ya, some of the songs I didn't like as much grew on me though.