The Presets
Pacifica

by Gabe25591 USER (12 Reviews)
September 9th, 2012 | 13 replies

Review Summary: The Presets' Pacifica, both frighteningly intense and unnervingly melodic, strikes that perfect middle ground that their electro-peers can only dream of.

These days it’s almost impossible what to make of The Presets. It’s never been easy; look at My People, their biggest hit to date. Under seemingly meaningless faux-crowdpleasing nonsense like ‘I’m here with all of My People!’ and ‘Let me hear you scream if you’re with me!’ was actually their take on Australia’s treatment of the ever-increasing number of lost souls from across the globe who seek asylum down under. The Presets were never one to shy away from making themselves look flippant, reckless or even foolish when it came to addressing major issues, which is why their current venture, Pacifica, slingshots them further into the black hole of indecipherability.

While tracks like Youth In Trouble are likely to please even the band’s most fervent purists, with smarmy vocals and a deeply entrenched sense of irony placed in Julian Hamilton and Kim Moyes’ wordplay, the release of second single Ghosts immediately forced a reassessment of their output. Be it randomers who chanced upon it due to its placement on the FIFA 13 soundtrack, critics, or most notably, the loyal fans, a major backlash to the song swamped Youtube comment sections, Twitter and even the band’s own Facebook posts. The reason" As far as we could tell from the early Pacifica teaser tracks, The Presets had mostly put aside their lavish hyperactivity, their war-cry vocals and sardonic silliness for a sincere, heartfelt and earnest parable of a reckless young soldier who is discharged from his military rotation after suffering a grave injury, confining him permanently to a wheelchair. To describe it as a ‘change of direction’ is to be disingenuous – it carries that same electro-eccentricity that made them a household name in Australia. One can concede that it strays from the predicted Presets path through its downbeat and po-faced take on the nature of regret, but this is only on paper; Ghosts, with its effortlessly assuaging synths and strikingly dignified use of autotune, is unfailingly, hauntingly beautiful, and the chasm spanned to get to this stage from the hedonistic days of Beams signified just what level of ‘different’ Pacifica was going to force us to endure.

In truth, it’s possible, if maybe a tad unfair, to call the album a mess – even if packed with extreme highs and some (not-so-low) lows, almost all 10 tracks grind against each other with a quite painful unease. Hamilton and Moyes seem to have had finally chosen which road they wanted the record to follow when the event horizon for that decision had long since passed. Smoother, more melodic tracks like the Pet Shop Boys pastiche Promises and the surprisingly throwaway bubblegum-fest Fall contrast somewhat awkwardly with the more challenging, boundary-pushing cuts; the uncompromising Push and the epic, beautifully sprawling Adults Only. The poppier choices from Pacifica are about as subtle as Tom Cruise in a Christian chapel and the more enigmatic portions often act like they have too much to hide for their own good – relentless minutes of building to a great climax and then…!

Nothing, save for some minimalist beats and a wobbling bass.

But while the structure of these new tracks often falter (some are baffling, others are immediately forgettable), it’s remarkably refreshing to see an electro outfit breaking out of their own cage. Sure, in time, we may be forced to look back on Pacifica as an overly-ambitious commercial failure, but at heart it’s a crowd-pleaser in the truest sense of the phrase, and that's no mean feat. It’s not pandering to the brainless druggies; all at once cute, poignant, thunderous and dark, it’s helplessly likeable. Without ever stooping to beg, it tries to be your friend - it's an album you can both scream down your corridors at home and shake your body to with 50,000 other fans at a festival. Unquestionable album highlight, the aforementioned Adults Only, also demonstrates that Hamilton and Moyes are aware they’ve created something they have every right to be be proud of. The song, chronicling the turbulent, often brutal history of the city of Sydney, is penned with great respect, sung with authority and executed with ounces of unashamed love. It doesn’t take long to note the whole album following the same lines – a record made by two men of the people, for the people. No more affected vocals, no more sleaze-infested songs, and no, this is no bad thing. It’s not a notable classic of the genre and in all probability it won’t go down in the history books, but with the band constantly evolving from album to album, Pacifica sits alongside Beams and Apocalypso as another dignified, intelligent and personable step forward.

Richard Thompson Mirror BlueEditors The Weight of Your Love
Sigur Ros KveikurZazen Boys Zazen Boys III
Tom Waits Big TimeScott Walker Bish Bosch
AtavanHalen (4.5)
Man, I'm worried sick for the youth in trouble......

TheColorBlindBlues (3.5)
"Little old ladies die afraid and alone"...

SCREAMorphine

Great review man, pos.

This is advertised everywhere lately.

Gabe25591
September 9th 2012

Thanks! Yeah, it's great to see such an underrated band get so much press

j1myz
September 9th 2012

Nothing like seeing a band follow-up well from a big previous album.

mindleviticus
September 9th 2012

listen to a bit of these guys and they were okay

September 9th 2012

I am adoring this at the moment, and Id have to take th opposite opinion of Michael. I actually think Youth in Trouble is the main letdown, and weird first single.

September 9th 2012

Album is really good; I wasn't expecting it to be.

Not quite as nasty as Apocolypso but this sounds much more polished and smooth.

Digging: Ultravox - Vienna

j1myz
September 9th 2012

Yeah I was disappointed they chose Youth In Trouble as the first single, it seems like a wasted opportunity to me. It isn't a bad song but it doesn't have the same broader appeal that some of the other songs have.

September 9th 2012

Also gabe....they're hardly underrated in Australia. Apocalypso won like every music award in the bloody country

Gabe25591
September 10th 2012

That's true, but I'm from the UK, and they've gotten a surprisingly large amount of press for a band that few people have heard of over here - then again, I imagine it'll be mostly Australians reading this!

September 10th 2012

Kinda surprised they never hit it bigger overseas. Hopefully this album does, but doesn't look like it atm haha. Interestingly I really love some of the songs you pulled out as too cheesy haha. But It's Cool would have to be my favourite.

Deviant.

Shite

Agreed he's an idiot

WhiteNoise
September 10th 2012

Hmm I've not really explored much electronic music apart from maybe New Order and stuff like that...I might have to pick this up for something different.