Monster Machismo
Aye Aye Porcupine

by shankeh USER (1 Reviews)
September 9th, 2012 | 17 replies

Review Summary: An acid trip serenade from an angel with a throat infection

Never has the word schizophrenic been more relevant to describe a musical piece. Some may see this as off putting, however, I and the sparse community of Monster Machismo fans agree that their eclectic, bizarre and occasionally senseless 5-track offering is a musical masterpiece for a new generation.

Everything from the cover art to the track listing to the album name should add up to create something horrendous. But it doesn't, miraculously. This album is best described as a musical diamond coated in dog ***.

'Moonshine Mashbomb', the first track, is Monster Machismo's best known song. Warping guitars, raspy vocals, nonsensical lyrics, incredible guitar work and complex time signatures. The basic recipe of Monster Machismo demonstrated in a reasonably accessible track for new listeners. I recommend 4:20-5:10 for some of the catchiest lyrics singer Dan Drake croaks on the whole album. 4.5/5

'Terrific Whistler' is a shorter, interlude-style song demonstrating Drake's singing ability. This track sets up nicely for the next with what I can only describe as a demonic sounding merry-go-round sample. 4/5

'Time Portal Fiasco' is up next. My personal favourite from the entire Monster Machismo catalogue. Just incredible in every way. After a strong double handed tapping session the song switches gears down into a mellow serenade from Drake, then just as quickly accelerates back into a beautiful set of riffs and an insanely good drumming showcase. 5/5

'Kiss Kiss Pessimist' shows off all 3 of MM's members musical ability more than any other song. The most polished sounding track on the album's highlight has to be the blinding guitar solo it ends with. 5/5

'Tisk Tisk' is the joker in the pack. Starting with Hey Arnold samples and ending with more of the same, it still manages to be beautiful with simple riffs and Drake's signature style of vocals and lyricism. 4.5/5

4.3

Saturday
September 8th 2012

Yes!!! I'm soooo glad someone reviewed this. I added this to the database expecting this to never get any attention. This is my favorite EP of all time I wish Dan Drake would record more music.

AFalseWinter

November 18th 2016

bump

hogan900
December 6th 2016

Album needs more love agreed

December 6th 2016

Hard

Digging: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony Is a Dead Scene

Ok I'm pretty confident I'll 5 this

This album is bad lol

Fuck u

If I don't 5 it, it's most certainly a 4.5

July 21st 2017

Ok not as bad as I remembered but not great either

fuck outta here boii

Hey at least I raised it a whole 1 point

So I came back to this

It's a 5

conesmoke

Ooo

July 4th 2018

Has it really been a year since I listened to this?

Hmmmm

July 4th 2018

You should really try it again man

Possibly