Daniel Johnston
1990

by Anthonyhemberger USER (1 Reviews)
August 9th, 2012 | 15 replies

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A fantastic story teller doing what he does best with some stellar production and pacing.

Daniel johnston's mental illnesses overshadowed the art he made throughout his career. It is a real shame too, because "1990" is what i believe to be a fantastically well written and produced singer songwriter record. The pacing is top notch with lots of long meandering tracks that kind of have that hypnotizing quality about them as well as some short and sweet stuff. Theres some raw emotion on this record as well as some true transparency between the listener and Johnston which i found very endearing and added a lot of character to the record.

I being a huge fan of the older lo fi stuff Daniel did found this album to be a magnum opus of sorts, a true peak of Daniel's songwriting and music composition talents.

i recommend this record for anyone trying to get into Daniels music or anyone who enjoys somewhat psychedelic folk music.

Anthonyhemberger
August 8th 2012

i wrote i thoroughly enjoy listening to this at the end.

i meant i thoroughly encourage listening to this

August 9th 2012

That cover is going to give me nightmares

Digging: Julien Baker - Turn Out The Lights

insomniac15
August 9th 2012

While I do find Daniel Johnston really interesting, I wouldn't say this is the best album ever record by a singer songwriter. At the same time, I didn't listen to 1990, but still, I wouldn't go that far. Nice first review, try to stray from the track-by-track review and mention some highlights/downsides that you feel are the best/worst.

Anthonyhemberger
August 12th 2012

Thanks bruh

Spec
April 1st 2013

Careless Soul brings tears to ma eyes.

oltnabrick
August 21st 2014

"Don't Play Cards With Satan [Live]" isn't the best thing to listen to at 3 am OmG

SATAN

zakalwe
August 21st 2014

True love will find you in the end.
What a fuckin classic.

YakNips
September 12th 2014

careless soul is so fucking sad holy fuck

November 10th 2014

I remember not digging this too much originally but HOLLYYY FUCK does this sound amazing on second listen

Held the Hand rules

BMDrummer
November 19th 2014

watched a bit of the doc about daniel, inspiring stuff

November 19th 2014

never seen it, you heard this one?

FirstStrikeIsDeadly
September 28th 2015

Softly and Tenderly is the perfect ending for this album

doomjitsu
July 2nd 2016

are some of the songs supposed to be live recordings because 'don't play cards with satan' scared the living shit out of me

FirstStrikeIsDeadly
July 4th 2016

Tears Stupid Tears and Don't Play Cards With Satan were live at famed venue CBGB. Got to Get You into My Life is a home tape recording, like what was on his earlier releases. Careless Soul and Funeral Home were live in New Jersey. Softly and Tenderly is apparently him singing with a church choir.