Dance Gavin Dance
Downtown Battle Mountain II

by ZackeryDaley USER (1 Reviews)
June 25th, 2012 | 33 replies

Review Summary: The return of both original vocalists, Jon Mess and Jonny Craig, ignited Dance Gavin Dance into underground popularity again, staying original. This is by far the best record since "Downtown Battle Mountain", making "Downtown Battle Mountain II" a must o

When Jonny Craig left the band things didn't necassarily go downhill for Dance Gavin Dance, it just didn't really go uphill either. Kurt Travis is great, personally seen him live as well, but he just is no Jonny Craig who has been compared Michael Jackson and Aretha Franklin. Then came the self-titled album in 2008 with Kurt lead vocals and Jon Mess screaming vocals. Great album, the softest of DGD's works in my opinion with "Uneasy Hearts Weigh the Most" being the only song a mother would listen to. Then Jon Mess left as well leaving Garren, Travis, O-Sulliven, and Swan to line it up for "Happiness". Swan took over screaming duties and did a GREAT job. I saw a live show with Swan screaming and the place was so ghetto his mic was shorted out but I could still hear him he was so ***ing loud...however, he is the lead-guitarist and does most of the infamous shreds from Dance Gavin Dance. Meanwhile talks and rumors of talks between Jonny and the band were circulating and sure enough he was back along with Jonathen Mess to work on DTBM2.

Now that we have the back story out of the way, we can get into the actual details of the album. With Craig and Mess back they blew my expectations away. The very first track "Spooks" starts out soft, gets hardcore, then has a nice funky time with the bass-line. Its how sex should be imagined if performed live with instruments, they even throw a rapper in there just to show that their beats are fly enough to rhyme to. Other tracks like "Elder Goose", "Blue Dream", and "Heat Seeking Ghost of Sex" are easily describable as classic DGD. I also enjoyed "People you Knew" as a reprise from the 2008 album that did not include Jonny Craig. They also did another Robot With Human Hair, naming it part 2 1/2 because Kurt Travis did part 3.

Overall this album is amazing for the fans of DGD and experimental-hardcore. Please leave comments if you have a questions.

Zacky D.

danrawkz
June 25th 2012

Lol, 'classic'. Get out of here. Now.

Oh man.

Strider
June 25th 2012

are you f***ing serious?? your "description" paragraph is smaller than the "background"

And I had to re-read the last sentence from the 11st paragraph 2-3 times, punctuation goddamit

"experimental-hardcore"

Oh man.

Tyler.

The "rapper" is will swan

June 25th 2012

I think my neg was deleted? Why would someone do that when we have this review with classic lines such as:

"Its how sex should be imagined if performed live with instruments, they even throw a rapper in there just to show that their beats are fly enough to rhyme to."

dude

cool

FromDaHood
June 25th 2012

Try to talk more about the album in future. You have the right idea with the second paragraph, just make it a lot longer and more in-depth.

June 25th 2012

The screaming is waaaaay better on this nigga though.

ChuckyTruant

vicyitctyctiyo3tyu

poorzack

jonny craig blows

bleh

you should be

breakingthefragile
June 25th 2012

I refuse to take this review seriously.

TMobotron
June 25th 2012

Welcome to the community Zacky.

41945 Comments

thug city is fun but yeah eh

sniper

19075 Comments

dbm is better but this has its moments for sure.

has mess

sniper

19075 Comments

yeah he's on another level on these tracks