Genesis
Trespass

by Nagrarok USER (219 Reviews)
March 5th, 2012 | 18 replies

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A daring step into the progressive world.

Following the release of their largely unimpressive and overproduced debut, Genesis broke free from the restrictions of their original producer, taking creative matters into their own hands and moving beyond their initial pop songs rather quickly. Trespass is a crucial transitional album, taking a daring step into progressive territory; a step that would prove too large for guitarist Anthony Philips, who developed stage fright and had to quit the band. Despite this, his fondness of the acoustic remained an influence on their later compositions.

In line with genre tradition, Trespass features a smaller amount of longer-running tracks, indeed showing a lot of ambition for a young band that just released a record of three-minute pop songs. Genesis obviously meant business, but were still looking for the right manner of execution. There’s multiple song sections, tempo shifts and instrumental knowhow, here based more around folk melodies than symphonic elements.

Gabriel’s a cappella opening to Looking for Someone succeeds at introducing the band’s uniqueness straight off, his characteristic voice not yet at full confidence but already in place. Philips whips up some dominating electric leads during the opener, something that’s actually uncommon for this era of Genesis. Though his playing is not quite as defined as it is on later albums, Banks’ organ is never far off, already assuring its position as primary instrument. This is especially true for Visions of Angels, which perhaps comes closest to classic Genesis as far as the keyboards are concerned.

It’s a major leap from where they started out, but the album can feel barren at some points. Some sections don’t seem entirely fleshed out, and the music seems to become one-sided. Right up until the final track that is, because The Knife is something else, coming unexpectedly after the calm Dusk. A darker, angrier piece with a soaring organ, distorted guitars and frantic drums, it is an ideal closer that surpasses everything before it. Overall, Trespass may not be up to par with what the classic line-up created, but remains enjoyable in its own right.

Genesis Mark II:

Genesis Calling All StationsGenesis We Can't Dance
Genesis Invisible TouchGenesis Genesis
Genesis AbacabGenesis Duke
Jethro42 (4)
Trespass is an undisputed gem that states the birth of a prog hero of all times....

e210013 (4)
Perhaps the most beautiful and passionate Genesis’ album. A giant step from their debut and a land...

pulseczar (3.5)

sonictheplumber (3.5)
A sign of great things to come....

So far so good.

your reviews rule pos

ThroneOfAgony

NO WAY

March 6th 2012

^why didn't you do The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway?

March 6th 2012

dude you realize i did this

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks guys.

Divine
March 6th 2012

It amazes me how fast they improved on this, compared to their debut

March 6th 2012

Yeah, shows just how much they were held back.

March 7th 2012

Yeah ^ with From Genesis to Revelation, the band proved they were ready to enter the market at all cost. Then Trespass have showed their true adventurous, ambitious nature. Album is nearly perfect for me. I love its use of acoustic-electric rock dynamics. Album sets a strong foundation for later Genesis music. Band really shows power in terms of songwriting and performance. My only letdown have to be the somewhat overlong song ''Stagnation'' and the rather gross, passive playing of drummer John Mayhew. The man was clearly not in the same league as the other members. Proof; The band have continually decided for Mayhew about the drumming parts.

Excellent write up, Nag! Keep on progging. Keep the discog going!

March 7th 2012

Agreed, Stagnation is the weakest track on this one and Mayhew's drumming is easily the weakest link.

April 22nd 2013

This is pretty good. I might 4 it.

April 22nd 2013

I can't say I like "The Knife" as much as other people do. The first half of the album rules hard though.

:edit: I might change my mind about the track. It's actually quite good.

April 22nd 2013

BTW, I disagree about the drumming. I think it suits the music to a T.

April 22nd 2013

'This is pretty good. I might 4 it.'

That's what it is at a minimum to me.

April 22nd 2013

@dannyboy; Drummer is nothing too special on here, really. Too repetitive and restrained for my taste. At that stage they needed Phil Collins badly.

April 22nd 2013

Agreed, Collins was/is far more memorable. The drumming here is just ok.

danielcardoso
June 28th 2013

Great review; great album too

STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS // CONTACT US