Alva Noto
Univrs

by pizzamachine USER (219 Reviews)
November 20th, 2011 | 6 replies

Review Summary: boom, bang, bop.

Describe your experience with this album with whatever metaphors that aggregate, but only one word strikes me. “Intensity” is the word, and the album is choked with it. The background is dark ambient music, and in this room are machines. The music isn’t so much music as it is noise, and that noise is the death of all things screaming in your ears. Yet this isn’t a completely terrifying experience, for in the demonic clatter are incredibly catchy beats. Sometimes the beats are comprised of slightly unsettling sounds, bumps in the dark. Other times they break the doors down with blunt force. In both scenarios, it makes for an intensely fun electronic experience that can wear on a person’s ears, but is ever so satisfying.

Univrs isn’t perfect, no matter how excellent it is. Alva Noto certainly knows how to create chilling music, but repetition is a problem. With the constant intensity, it feels as though the sounds should be progressing somewhere, but lo and behold, the same beats in songs continue to play like a dying horse that won’t die. In an album so bent on bending the listener’s mind, a change of scenery would have proved useful. Thankfully, this is the only real issue with the album (although it renders the music more ordinary than necessary). It is still a compelling electronic album despite its blatant shortcoming. It is still uncomfortable enough to grip attention, and it’s even fairly catchy! Ultimately, it may not be as disturbing as intended, but it’s still a foot stomper of an album, perfect for the easily distracted electronic music lover.