Welicoruss
Wintermoon Symphony

by gunxsword USER (3 Reviews)
October 21st, 2011 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A very complex and unique symphonic black metal album. Comparable to a slower, and more guitar focused version of Equilibrium's Sagas.

This band doesn’t even have a Wikipedia page! Well, story goes: there’s a Russian symphonic black/pagan band who’s looking for a label. So there you go! The band’s history. Now let’s focus on the album in review.

The album is very atmospheric and emotive. The majestic tone of the album are powerfully sentimental, and constantly evoking themes of a foreign and cold environment. What this band does, and does extremely well is their ability to use instruments especially solos to replace vocals and achieve melodic sympathy (feeling between the music and listener)

The band is able to evoke such poignant sentiments because every instrument play in perfection. Being a symphonic black metal band, the members employ a wide range of sound (electric keyboard) – from synth induced solos and flutes (sigh, the real thing sounds much better…), to some orchestral sounds that I cannot pinpoint. The layered instrumental melodies create complex, yet distinct melodies which can be heard and enjoyed in isolation. Don’t understand the (one of innumerable) solo that the lead guitar is playing? Focus on the rhythm guitar riffs (or even better, solo) or keyboard playing some random instrument. It’s this sort of musical layering that ensures there will always be something to enjoy at any given time even if one (or more) instrument fails to ‘connect’ with the listener.

The band also employs a wide range of musical variety – curled sound of string bending (finger vibrato), intense tremolo sweeping, furious solos and orchestral harmonies are just to name a few. The orchestral harmonies are simply epic, if not grandiose in sound and scale.

One warning beforehand though – this album may not be for everyone. The unique song composition (solo heavy, scarce vocals) and complex sound layering could be initially hard to digest. This album demands time and many repeated listens to fully understand. This is no Equilibrium’s Sagas, which is comparatively very easy to understand and enjoy due to protruding catchy melody hooks.

Recommended songs:
Glory for Russia
Fly
Slavonic Power

AngelofDeath
October 22nd 2011

Haven't heard this, but the album cover has "suck" written all over it.

pizzamachine
October 22nd 2011

I haven't listened to symphonic black metal in ages. Checking this out!!!

Yazz_Flute
October 22nd 2011

At a glance I read the band name as "Winterlicious".

Digging: Protest the Hero - Palimpsest

October 22nd 2011

this is actually pretty interesting, im actually digging it, ill have to run through this full album while blazed out and see how far it takes me

gunxsword
October 22nd 2011

The album art is pretty awesome to me, especially in the sense that it provides a visual stimulus to how the album will sound.

I'm already on my 10th playthrough in 3 days and I'm still discovering new riffs and melodies.

OllieS
October 23rd 2011

3. Glory of Russia
8. Slavonic Power

...definitely getting this

a decent album, not a 5 for me but there are some really good stuff here

i like use of synths, how ever the lead with all the solo's gets a little overdone for me and the tracks do not push what last one accomplished and became a little stagnant after a few listens. but ill def come back to this now and then and its poss this could get a 4 from me in the future

Hawks
October 24th 2011

I've pretty much grown out of symphonic black metal, other than the stuff I've heard already. Can't imagine this is anywhere near a 5.

Digging: Havukruunu - Uinuos Symein Sota

coneren

5 it anyway

DarkNoctus
October 24th 2011

I've pretty much grown out of symphonic black metal

>:[

Digging: ISON - Inner - Space

Hawks

5 it anyway

Maybe...
>:[

Let me rephrase...the "cheesy" symphonic black metal lol.

TzarChasm
October 24th 2011

I found this band/album here just last night and they're already storming my all-time favorites list. This album is nothing short of symphonic fucking Nirvana. I cannot possibly write enough good things about it. Good Lord!

October 24th 2011

its not as cheesy as most symph black bands but its def not a 5 either, far from classic, its all been done before but they have potential, ill be looking for their next release and if its not better than this, im out for good, cuz you can only go so far with this stuff

needs more variance, also some tracks hardly use any vocals as well which was kinda weird, its seemed like they took the instrumental route on most of it