Defeated Sanity
Psalms of the Moribund

by LysergicLollypops USER (4 Reviews)
July 27th, 2011 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is what our parents think death metal sounds like.

The second release by Defeated Sanity, Psalms of the Moribund is your archetypal brutal death metal album, dripping with well, brutality. For fans of the genre, this album will be sure to satisfy, as it mixes in competent technical aspects to the brutality. And for more casual listeners, it will be like pulling teeth to sit and listen without hitting the 'next song' button.

As the rating exemplifies, this album is just decent, and really nothing to behold. The only thing that makes this LP memorable is that you probably needed a hand full of Ritalin caplets just to be able to pay attention to it for the whole half hour run time.

The chief reason behind this lies in the vocals which are simply and 'g'utterly BORING after about two minutes . Jens Staschel (arguably their worst vocalist to date) rarely changed pitch or style on this album, and the only thing to be heard coming from him are incomprehensible gutturals, burps and squeals that even a professor of linguistics would likely be unable to decipher.

If you can tolerate the vocals, than you'll be pleased to hear the musicianship is actually stellar and technically competent, full of tempo changes and catchy riffs. The bass is clearly audible and probably the strongest part of the ensemble as it pulls out bass fills that sound like they're straight from an Atheist album. This LP blurs the line between technical and brutal death metal as one moment it's chugging and grinding and another it's throwing down technical and complex riffs reminiscent of the early death metal scene gods Death.

As good and the instrumentation is however, it does become stale and breakdown heavy after an extended listen. Although many bands use breakdowns as a staple to their sound, the great bands are able to use them consistently without them becoming less interesting than paint drying; something Defeated Sanity are unable to do in this album.

Defeated Sanity's second effort, Psalms of the Moribund pulls off some things well, however there is nothing here you haven't heard before (and done better). It's probably not worth your interest unless you're a brutal death metal music hoarder.

Pros:
Stellar mix of brutal death metal sound layered with technical instrumentation
Great (and audible bass) shines on this album

Cons:
Vocals are painfully one dimensional, not to mention incomprehensible
Very repetitive
Despite the technicality, it gets stale very quickly

lospokey (4)

July 27th 2011

fourth review. Wrote it in a hurry

HenchmanOfSanta
July 27th 2011

1994 Comments

One of the most awkward openings to a review I've ever seen. That paragraph should really be in the main body and not the beginning.

This is the one DS album I don't have, but based on how much I like the other two I doubt I'll agree with you when I get around to this one.

YetAnotherBrick
July 28th 2011

I made a track review for a song by these guys on YouTube, and I...didn't really fap all over it, and I got a shitstorm on me by all these elitists going "durrrrrrrr you just don't get all the time signature changes durrr" and "all you said was ummmm it's boring durrr" when I actually stated my opinion quite clearly. It was retarded lol

In short, yeah, I don't really get all the hype surrounding this band. Summary is great. haha

liledman
July 28th 2011

im a casual fan of bdm, and defeated sanity got me into it. strange. mainly chapters though, then i worked back to this.

my only gripe with this album is the vocals, thats where chapters has the upper hand i think.

July 28th 2011

the vocals were the worst part, they totally detract from the stellar musicianship

foxblood
July 30th 2011

i'm only just starting to give this a listen and i agree. boring vocals, really good bass, decent musicianship.

Anthracks
March 31st 2012

Moron. This is one of the most sophisticated death metal releases out there

Digging: Molested Divinity - Unearthing The Void

Shuyin
March 31st 2012

dont agree with this review, sorry

also this album rules, even Riff loves it

Digging: Twelve Tribes - Midwest Pandemic

couch
March 31st 2012

this album is a masterpiece how could u say such things man????? but "'g'utterly BORING" lol that was pretty good .

April 27th 2012

I might have to listen to this again now that my musical tastes have matured.

Confucius
May 17th 2014

This album needs a proper review. Pure filth.

BigPleb

This is at least a 4.

adr

12079 Comments

This is what our parents think death metal sounds like

fuck no band is boring

Confucius
May 17th 2014

"i mean i know most brutal death is but cmon.. none so vile? pierced from within-in-in?"

I love those albums and I also love this

May 17th 2014

the vocals are typical but yea not my thing, the music is just not interesting to me its just too ott stop start brickwall fuckery you know thats not my bag

and yea i guess its arguable but it def has traits of both brutal n tech death i reckon

brainmelter