Alice Cooper
Trash

good

by TommyT USER (5 Reviews)
July 11th, 2011 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Instant classics stop this album from being Trash, but lots of dross stop it from being Killer

After 1987s commercially disappointing 'Raise Your Fist and Yell', Alice Cooper wanted a hit, a hit that would properly mark his comeback. So he hired golden touch producer Desmond Child, the musical path traversed was MTV friendly Glam Metal and the result was the hit Cooper craved.

This album features a tonne of guest appearances, including Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, Steve Tyler and beefy ex Cooper axeman Kane Roberts. Alas the album does not quite live up to the Atmospheric level of the Cameos. Proceedings are kicked off with the instantly recognisable, and the goosebump inducing, 'Poison' - definitely of it's time and definitely Brilliant. Things continue at this pace with the awesome 'Spark in The Dark' - Sex laden (a running theme for this album, suprisingly...) but still top notch. The album stalls slightly with 'House of Fire' - a number originally penned for Bon Jovi and it definitely shows. 'Why Trust You' erases all memory of the previous song, being fast, moody and magnificent. 'Only My Heart Talking' brings back the decline being 1980s, Glam Metal, Mediocrity sounding heavily influenced by 'Pump' era Aerosmith and funnily enough starring Tyler in back up vocals. It's an 80s album, it has to have the obligatory ballad or two!

Proceedings are kicked back into gear in brilliantly dirty and hard rocking fashion with 'Bed of nails' - my favourite song of the album and it's music video contains sexy girls in leather to boot which is always good. The infectiously catchy 'This Maniac's in Love With You' ensues. Dissapointingly, the album tails off after this, becoming either quite grating ('I'm Your Gun' and 'Trash') or overly saccharine ('Hell is Living Without You')

So a few instant classics in an album which is good but is marred by a lazy finish. With it's downfall being the aim of the album - the search for that elusive comeback hit. His next album, 'Hey Stoopid', see's Alice produce amongst his finest albums and his best Glam Metal album.

ReturnToRock (4)
With Trash, despite the occasional stumble, Alice very definitely managed to get himself back in the...

WhiteNoise
July 11th 2011

First 3 songs are awesome fun! Can't wait to see him again at Soundwave Revolution.

TommyT
July 12th 2011

Yeah, annoyingly the only 80s song he plays live is 'Poison' - but you can't blame him when he has such an expansive back catalogue to choose from. I saw him in the UK on his Halloween of fear event, it was superb.

onyedili
August 2nd 2011

all songs classic.

TheNotrap
August 10th 2011

The record that put Alice in the spotlight again. In my opinion the next one is better but we can find very cool songs here like Poison (my favourite), Spark in the Dark, House of Fire or Hell Is Living Without You.

Digging: Desolate Shrine - Deliverance From The Godless Void

TommyT
August 22nd 2011

I agree with you there Notrap - Hey Stoopid is epic. Glam metal but with Alice Coopers twisted lyrics and sense humour thrown into the mix. And including star cameos from Slash and Ozzy.

TheNotrap
August 22nd 2011

Yeahh Hey Stoopid is very cool. I didn't call it glam metal...Let's say its a dam good metal record.

warlordfun
February 10th 2013

wow man very enjoyable album!!

Dessicatedcorpse
March 4th 2014

The only songs that save this album from me giving it a 1 are:

Poison

Spark In the Dark

House of Fire

Bed of Nails

Hell is Living Without You

For the most part, this album is nothing but a clump of juvenile lyrics and flat riffs. It just about completely turns me off, however Bed of Nails is one of my favourite songs by Alice Cooper which JUST saves this album from me giving it a 1.

BigPleb
July 26th 2015

YOUR LIPS ARE VENOMOUS POIIISOOOOOOONNNN

Titan
January 4th 2017

one of the best songs ever

Dewinged
August 16th 2017

" 'Bed of nails' - my favourite song of the album and it's music video contains sexy girls in leather to boot which is always good." I am cracking up hahaha

Servers are shit tonight so I am all about bumping hard rock threads.

YOUR POISAAAAAN!!

Digging: Motorpsycho - The Tower

foxblood
October 29th 2017

never heard alice cooper somehow but i'm going to start here because i've been curious about this album forever, although i assume it'd be better to start with welcome to my nightmare or something but i'm impatient.

Drifter