Derek Lerch
Mellifluous Melodies

2.0
poor

by pizzamachine USER (220 Reviews)
June 13th, 2011 | 14 replies

Review Summary: ow, my ears.

Oh dear, this isn’t very good. It’s not that Derek Lerch has no idea what he is doing, but his music could easily convince me otherwise. You see, Mellifluous Melodies is, regrettably, the complete opposite of mellifluous. It isn’t smooth, it doesn’t flow well, and it certainly doesn’t sound sweet to the ears. The album is a collection of harsh, grating music that sounds like the perfect soundtrack for an early morning game of Runescape. The most irritating synthesizers are at work here, the loud, obnoxious, and pointlessly cheesy kind. If you can’t picture this, imagine any of Beethoven’s greatest works, but instead of them being played normally, imagine someone butchering them by playing them in only staccato – it just doesn’t work.

Derek Lerch put no effort into making the music easy on the ears. What we have here are disjointed melodies, looking for a place to run to, that end up floundering around the map, lost and confused. Melodies seem beyond him, actually, as synthesizers jump around aimlessly looking for a place to land, but just can’t. Sometimes it even seems like he is intentionally making them clash, because he has no idea how to land a simple melody. It honestly sounds like, when recording the album, he just decided to go for broke and randomly hit notes with no direction, and with no keyboard experience. The only acceptably melodic, and sensible song on the album is the last song, 'Scoobed', but by then, the damage has already been done. If any thought was given to the album sounding mellifluous, it sure doesn’t sound like it. One decent song cannot make up for the entire rest of the album, which is devoid of good melodies, and therefore completely forgettable, and also difficult to listen to.

Ultimately, Mellifluous Melodies is an amateurish effort from a newbie musician (if you can even call him a musician). Keyboard sounds have no variation at all, and are the most irritating types possible. For an album that is completely dependent on the keyboard, you’d think that the keyboard wouldn’t be played so awfully. It isn’t fun to listen to, and it isn’t even quirky in the fun way, so what’s the point" All musicians have to start somewhere, but that is no excuse for such a poor job.

Within Temptation The Silent ForceBreaking Benjamin Ember
Animals As Leaders The Madness of ManySevendust All I See Is War
Draconian A Rose For The ApocalypseDraconian Turning Season Within
poor

Tyrael
June 13th 2011

I'm sorry to say this, but this review seems a bit rushed... Sorry pizza :/

June 13th 2011

Oh well. Pedroia55 requested this review, so I really needed to get it done.

Voivod
June 13th 2011

well written, have a pos.

Perhaps you should listen to Iannis Xenakis, his work is a milestone in the respect presented in this review.

Digging: Norman Shores - De L'Ombre Surgit La Lumire

Blindsided
June 13th 2011

It's a decent review but it does seem rushed. Add more substance to it, longer reviews aren't always a bad thing either. It really reads like a long soundoff.
Mentioning the song titles, like which ones were really bad or if one was decent might help add to it.

@ pedroia55: bwahha so I guess I didn't need to review this then XD

@ Voivod: Thanks, I'll check that out!

@ Blindsided: edit: I added two long sentences to the second paragraph.

Irving
June 13th 2011

On the other hand, I think that this review was just fine. Not too long, not too short, and does its job. I think Pizza has more than managed to uphold his fine standards.

Pos.

Irving
June 13th 2011

It was quite brave of Pizza to be so brutally honest, I must say.

June 13th 2011

Well then, you're welcome! : )

Tyrael
June 13th 2011

I added two long sentences to the second paragraph.

Oh yeah, much better. Pos'd.

Blindsided

Better.
Pos'd

Acanthus
June 13th 2011

Pizza always has shorter reviews that get the job done just fine imo

Pos'd