Klaxons
Landmarks of Lunacy

by Tyrael USER (28 Reviews)
January 10th, 2011 | 27 replies

Review Summary: Klaxons get revenge on their record company.

Last year, Klaxons finished recording their second album Surfing The Void. They had to change a lot of the songs because the record company(Polydor) found them to be 'too experimental'. So, Klaxons threw out those experimental songs and recorded a new, more commercial record. At least that's what they said, because Surfing The Void still sounded quite special, which wasn't surprising considering the fact that they were drugged throughout the whole production process. The real experiments by the band were locked away. Until now. The band has decided to release the remaining five songs as a free EP called Landmarks Of Lunacy.

Where their previous release failed, this album succeeds. Klaxons sound like a band again. This is especially true on Silver Forest, a relaxing breath of fresh air compared to the noisy tracks found on Surfing The Void. Gone is the awkward use of keyboards and nonsensical sound effects found on their previous effort, which were only used to make the songs sound spacey. The exeption to this is Ivy Leaves, where they use a simple background sound effect to create a sense of evolution towards a climax, which ultimately never comes. This makes the song a lot more interesting to listen to. The best thing about this EP however is that it all fits in just nicely. While none of the songs boast excessive power, they don't drag on either. This album just oozes a certain kind of calm, which makes the album a very enjoyable and relaxing listen.

As said, Klaxons sound more like a band than ever before. The guitar and bass playing, while not extraordinary, actually have their place in the songs. The drums on this album are not bad, but they don't really stand out either. Overall the rhythmic section will do nicely for these kind of songs, because their individual role isn't that important. The lyrics are also better this time around, contributing to the overall feeling of calmness of the EP.

Landmarks Of Lunacy is a psychedelic journey through wonderland, Klaxons style. Everything that they did on Surfing The Void falls short when judged against this EP. If these songs were featured on Surfing The Void, it probably would have been a lot better. Shame on you Polydor.

Deathspell Omega DroughtMarina Electra Heart
Coeur de Pirate BlondedEUS Keep You Close
Cruachan Blood on the Black RobeAosoth III - Violence & Variation
3.2
good

January 10th 2011

Figured this needed a review. Album art isn't working for some reason.

iluvtweepop

its alright

good that its a free download

January 10th 2011

"good that its a free download"

Amen to that.

Knott-

surfing the void sucked

i nearly bothered with this but nah

January 10th 2011

It's a lot better than Surfing The Void imho.

iluvtweepop

i dislike surfing too

myths was great though

January 10th 2011

Solid review Tyraelxy. Have a pos. Your basics are in place; I'd honestly just recommend your working on improving the flow and transition between sentences. Try to expand your vocabulary a bit and use more interesting language (very vague advice, I know). Do look up staff/contrib reviews to get a better feel of how flair can be used; it's a skill worth having.

And finally, try talking to the mods to see what they can do about the album art. If I'm not mistaken, Deviant and Observer have album-art-fixing powers too.

January 10th 2011

English is only my fourth language so meh... I actually do read contrib/staff reviews constantly, but
when I try to write something like that it just comes out really boring and lame. I can't really seem
to get my reviews right... Thanks anyway man, you're actually the only one that is giving me advice to
improve my writing lol.

DoubtGin
January 10th 2011

they were pussies for making the company decide at first

January 10th 2011

Spot on, doubt. But since the record company financed the album I don't think they really had a
choice.

January 10th 2011

Nice review, but why are none of the album covers working? Can't get my Abe Vigoda review up

January 10th 2011

Thanks, and I have the same problem when I try to upload the cover for this album. Maybe check the forums...

why are none of the album covers working? Can't get my Abe Vigoda review up

If you upload the review AND information on the album at the same time the site doesn't like that, and spits it right back out at you until the mods can fix it.

Good God Tyraelxy - your fourth?! My third (French) is a LONG way away from the quality of writing you post up here. That being said, what are your other three languages?

January 10th 2011

Well my native language is dutch, second is french(thanks to school), third is german(we go on
vacations to Austria a lot, and also from school). English is really only from tv and the internet, we
had it at school but it was like 1 hour a week, didn't learn anything decent in that class =).
Here in Belgium they want us to know as many languages as possible lol.

January 10th 2011

Ah, I uploaded my review and then realised it had no tracklisting or album cover so then tried to add those... must be what messed it up and resulted in the review not being posted on the main page. Thanks Irving, guess I'll just have to wait.

Pretty sure everyone in the low countries knows at least two languages!

Low countries?

January 10th 2011

Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg. A bit of France and Germany I think too.

January 10th 2011

Dude you remind me of the user Vanderb0b; there's no end to that man's linguistic talents. He's also a really cool dude.

Anyway, if this is your fourth language then I tip my hat off to you sir. You'd be surprised how many English as-a-first-languagers can't write half as well as you can.

January 10th 2011

@city you mean the Benelux then?

@Irving Pfft I don't really view it as linguistic talent, since I was forced to learn them, but thanks
anyway xD

January 10th 2011

I've been learning French for two and a half years, and my eyes still glaze over each time someone starts speaking to me in la belle langue. I can appreciate how hard it can be to pick up a new language - whether you're forced to do it or not lol =)