Limp Bizkit
Three Dollar Bill Y'all

by SatelliteYears USER (11 Reviews)
December 23rd, 2010 | 28 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A raw, energetic performance by Limp Bizkit at their best. May not have the commercial appeal of SO and Hot Dog, but $3 Dollar Bill is an explosive, frenetic, sometimes experimental performance.

I get it: it's cool and fashionable to hate Limp Bizkit. Corey Taylor of Slipknot has said that singer Fred Durst "is a great businessman, but not as a musician." And I understand that. Fred Durst does things to raise eyebrows, whether it's the "Ladies Night in Cambodia" promotion he created over a decade ago, or public feuds with Slipknot and other bands.

But that's not what this album is about. $3 Dollar Bill was about a band, who at the time, was trying to establish themselves as legitimate musicians in the industry. Say what you want about Fred Durst, but the musicians behind him are very, very good for a rapcore band. Despite the hate LB gets, people at least respect the guitar playing (and hilarious stage costumes) of Wes Borland. And Sam Rivers (bass) is also pretty solid. Oftentimes, the bass guitar is inaudible (nonexistent) and Rivers definitely adds the funk-rock to this band.

$3 Dollar Bill, Ya'll is definitely remembered for the frenetic energy LB brought to the table. All you have to do is look up the Woodstock 1999 or Family Values 1998 tours to get a glimpse of it.

Let's start with Durst. If the details about his personal life are to be believed, the guy's been through a lot. (prior to this album) He's not a great singer-a bit too whiny sometimes. But he can definitely scream, as evidenced on songs like "Pollution" and "Stuck". And that's one of the good things about the Bizkit-not many other nu-metal bands of this era have a vocalist that can scream as well as Fred.

Let's face it-you probably don't listen to Limp Bizkit to hear them play slow songs (like the ones on Results May Vary.) And that's a huge relief, because on $3 Dollar Bill, there is nothing really "slow", with the exception of the 16-minute album closer, "Everything". Durst, Borland, and Co. are best when they emulate the raw energy of this album and their live performances.

The album itself is quite good. Songs like "Counterfeit" and a fun cover of George Michael's "Faith" are probably the two best songs on here, but "Pollution" is my favorite song on here. It contains a seriously infectious guitar riff by Wes Borland, and it displays Fred's penchant for screaming. (clearly!)

"Sour" is a pretty good song, too. I like the opening line "Mellow out! Bitch". And it's one of the many songs that displays LB's use of smooth, funky hip-hop with a solid bassline backing him up. A side note-bass player Sam Rivers isn't the savior of the band by any means, but he makes Fred's raps more memorable, for sure.

"Bring that ******* beat back!
FRED SHUT THE **** UP!
And we're done."
(from the end of Pollution.)

I'd be lying if there wasn't some filler here, though. "Nobody Loves Me" comes off as whiny and insecure, "Everything" is a 16-minute instrumental track (I doubt LB's fans are buying this record for instrumental songs) and Indigo Flow is the requisite "shout-out" song, though the end of it is pretty explosive.

Epilogue-Even people who hate Limp Bizkit seem to be okay with this album. And why not" It's equal parts hip-hop, metal, rap, and funk. If it wasn't for the fact that every song on here is explosive and fast, I'd probably rate it lower. But it's pure testosterone and emotion here. And the best part is, $3 Dollar Bill is a solid album without being explicitly made for commercial acceptance.

I'm giving $3 Dollar Bill a 4/5.

Important songs: Faith, Pollution, Counterfeit, Sour, Stink Finger.
Songs to skip: Nobody Loves Me

Of Mice and Men The FloodSaosin Translating the Name
Dead Letter Circus This Is The WarningFalling Up Your Sparkling Death Cometh
Funeral for a Friend Welcome Home ArmageddonThis Is Hell Misfortunes
good
Unitcircle (4)
An unpolished, edgy look of one of the late 90s most polarizing bands....

Nytro (3.5)
It's.....actually.....not....bad!...

DirEnRefused (2.5)
An overly revisionised album which isn't horrible, it's just mediocre....

random (4.5)
Excellent and heavy album? Check!...

December 23rd 2010

I like this review better than my first, based on the fact that Limp Bizkit was a huge part of my youth, and I know more about them. As always, feedback is appreciated.

Hope you enjoyed the history lesson.

December 23rd 2010

nobody loves me is prime, it's supposed to be over the top n shit. Indigo Flow is prime too. Everything is prime as fuck too cmon bro 5 it.

it's Three Dolla Bill Ya'll$, also.

cmon bro

einlazer

great review!

December 23rd 2010

I actually like Indigo Flow...for a "shout out" track it has a solid vibe to it.

Honestly my problem with Nobody Loves Me is just that-the topic at hand. Songs like that, wallowing in self-pity and such, tend to get on my nerves, especially since I listen to a lot of nu-metal, and that's all anyone seems to talk about. But I digress.

December 23rd 2010

But nu-metal was just that.

Over dramatic, whiny bullshit.

embrace it brah.

NOBODY LOVES MEEEEE

NOBODY CARES

Urinetrouble

not a bad album

December 23rd 2010

"But nu-metal was just that.

Over dramatic, whiny bullshit.

embrace it brah.

NOBODY LOVES MEEEEE

NOBODY CARES"

And that's why I don't like that track too much. That's not to say I never listen to it, though. Even at my age, there are times where I need a song like that. Especially back 8 years ago when I discovered the Bizkit. Honestly I've grown up a bit from my "nu-metal" years but this album is still great.

Deviant.
December 23rd 2010

You could try not listening to nu metal then

hahaha dev.

oh and Results May Vary rules too.

come at me bro.

Satellite

who is this clown?

Deviant.

somberlain

haha! good one Dev!

Agnosticbybirth
December 23rd 2010

Dear God why would you review something like this?

Butkuiss
December 23rd 2010

This album gets a lot more hate than it deserves. We get that Fred's a douche. Doesn't mean all his work has to be. But definitely their best work.

SO WHERE'S MY GOLD COBRA!?

December 23rd 2010

'Dear God why would you review something like this?'

Because I wanted to. I was going through a list of bands I know a lot about, and LB was one of them. And I don't think the world needed another Metallica review.

ShadowRemains

the satellites are multiplying

boilingboyy
December 24th 2010

Limp Bizkit is one of the bands you know best? That's the best idea you can come up with for a good album? This is like that recent Insane Clown Posse review: Completely irrelevant review of one of the shittiest bands ever. How abut a review of Bush, or Collective Soul?

Jakeitwasaghost