Most people wrote off Catch 22 after 3 members left to Streetlight Manifesto(One being Thomas Guitarist/Vocals). However, Catch 22 came out with this album in an attempt to return to the ska scene. This album has more of a "poppy" sound to it than any of the previous Catch and alot more horn sound then in the other albums. This album pales in comparison to Keasbey Nights and Alone in a Crowd, but is still worth a good listen.
1. Rocky: Hard driving guitars incorporate most of the song. Very "in-you-face" sound. Nice lyrics and horns. Song about hatred and wanting to be left alone. Great intro to album and one of the better songs on the album.
2. Beguile the Time: Great song. Very mild compared to Rocky, great horn and vocal parts. About sending innocent men into war just to die. Great songwrting.
3. Wine Stained Lips: Probably the most poppy sound of all the songs. Most popular song(Showed up on Fuse and VH1). I'm not a big fan of the song. Pretty catchy horn and guitar riffs. Very catchy chorus.
4. Motown Cinderella: Very nice, relaxing song. Catchy chorus, song you can listen to alot and still be happy. Nice lyrics. Good horn riff at end. Song about a girl rejecting a guy, and the "mesenger" not wanting to break the news. OK song.
5. Chin Up: Song about couple getting in a fight, and how they want to make it up. Traditional ska guitar for most of song. Good lyrics. Backup vocals used well.
6. Dreams of Venus: Good lyrics, not much horns except in-between verses. Doesn't really sound like ska very much. Kinda catchy, kind of song you would exercise to.
7. Dripping Faucet: Nice, catchy horn parts. Hard-driving guitar sound. Lot of bass guitar and drum. Song is about being young and the troubles associated with it.
8. Good Times: Nice ska guitar. Very nice happy mood. About a guys screwed-up life, but how he looks at all the good things he still has. Good message through lyrics. Catchy guitar and vocals, that will have you sing along. Nice clapping of hands effect towards end. Album Starts getting back on the track with this song.
9. So Cold: Instromental that leads up to Regression, technically, they should be one song. Very relaxing.
NR - Not really a song.
10. Regression: One of best songs on album. Great chorus and guitar/horn parts. Song is about a man wondering why another has gotten so serious over the years and needs to lighten up. Message passed through song has alot in common with Good Times. Great Lyrics.
11. Chasing the Moon: Nice horn intro. Techno sounding guitar in beggining. Fast paced song. Song about how to drink all your problems away. Not a very good song.
12. Lamont's Lament: Same message as Chasing the Moon. Very nice song. Kind of country sounding guitar in intro. Back-up "Heys!" are used well.
*13* Hidden track. Just a plain instromental. Very nice however, great horn parts. Nice guitar riff is covered with a booming horn line.
9/10 ( I rated that according to instromentals, not compared to rest of song.)
Overall, I think this album has its up and downs. More of a pop sound than ska, which would make some not like it. Great songwriting in most songs. Kind of album that has to grow on you. Overall rating of this album would probably be a 7/10, good but not great.