VNV Nation
Matter and Form

by pizzamachine USER (219 Reviews)
November 17th, 2010 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: don't mess with VNV Nation.

Hailing under the overlooked genre of futurepop, which they themselves created, VNV Nation has never failed in making great music. They were a veteran band from the start, and in their entire discography, there has never been a weak album. However, they sure have standout albums, and Matter + Form is one of them. The tense atmosphere that VNV Nation creates in Matter + Form seems like the soundtrack to a claustrophobic crawl through a suffocating cavern. Through cracks of massive boulders, rays of sunshine may occasionally poke through and hold the squinting man in warm embrace, but the pit is still dark – the darkness still smothers. Songs with straightforward melodies are barely visible in this body of music, so when the gorgeous ‘Perpetual’ ascends, it seems like a defining moment in one’s life. Everything at once vividly comes to life, and it is a beautiful feeling.

In the land where the music plays, it is immediately known from the ‘Intro’ that all is not well. Starting in a windy setting, ‘Chrome’ ignores the quiet storm and proceeds to blast the eardrums with an unforgiving beat and ominous synthesizers. Throughout all this, the lead singer sings depressive but encouraging lyrics, knowing the state the world is in, and responding with the call to rise. Then, as if in response, the joyful ‘Arena’ bursts in with infectious electronics, and the second best chorus of the album. Predictably, as soon as the joy of ‘Arena’ ends, the depression starts all over again. It starts off quietly with wonderfully minimal piano and strings (‘Colours of Rain), and then proceeds to shock with ‘Strata’, ‘Interceptor’, and ‘Entropy’. After these tracks, the album finally and completely breaks through its constant depression – the sun rises.

When ‘Endless Skies’ is reached, the soundscape becomes stunningly beautiful. Followed by ‘Homeward’, the moment of beauty increases in scale and magnitude to the point where tears are provoked. However, at the end of ‘Homeward’ the band seems to realize that they need to get the audience moving, and in response, they provide the danceable ‘Lightwave’. Finally, to conclude the music experience, VNV Nation ends with one of their best songs, ‘Perpetual’ – the perfect ending to a stunning album.

Recommended Songs:

Thanks btw.

Irving

Good review btw.

November 17th 2010

Thanks, btw I am here forth condemning the use of "btw".

November 17th 2010

Did I NOT tell you this album was beast?

Sweet review kintups as well.

Perpetual is one of my all time favourite songs.

Digging: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Organisation

Glad you showed up BLOC!

Damn good review.

November 17th 2010

Chrome should be with the recommended songs I'd say.

November 17th 2010

@ Gyroscope: I like your comment.

@ BLOC: Alright, but only for you.

Forgot to Pos, oops

Heh, I review in waves.

January 5th 2011

"Chrome" and "Perpetual" are amazing, love when DJ's give "Chrome" a spin.

June 19th 2011

Bumping this, North American tour dates to be announced in the coming weeks and hopefully I'll get to attend at least one show!

"Chrome" still rocks, it's got such a righteous anger feeling (to me at least). Still enjoy Judgement better as a whole though.

June 19th 2011

Did I already mention Perpetual is one of my favourite songs?

June 19th 2011

I consider it the perfect end to this album.

y87arrow
March 29th 2018

Next to "Only Human Remains" by Fractured this album was my first electronic album ever in early december 2005 and I still love almost all songs. Also all songs avoid the 3rd chorus which is always a good thing to me.

Both albums got me away from only listening to mainstream 80's (especially british songs), nu metal and "alternative" rock back then.

It was a complete coincidence that I discovered VNV Nation and Fractured in dec. 2005, I took a look at the German Alternative Charts and both albums were there, I was curious and discovered them.

I think in general I will always have a big heart for futurepop and EBM music.

Digging: Eyeless In Gaza - Song Of The Beautiful Wanton

oltnabrick
June 26th 2018

this has some really cool moments

Digging: Tomb Mold - Cerulean Salvation

November 7th 2018

Damn the new album Noire kicks ass. Opening track fuckin ownssss