Sleepingdog
Polar Life

by DiceMan USER (8 Reviews)
October 6th, 2010 | 21 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Just listen to Prophets. If you aren't captivated, go buy a new heart. The one you now possess is malfunctioning.

Life is beautiful. Sometimes if you wake up early enough you can see the sun’s face slowly peek over the horizon. Not when it’s warm or anything, but when it adds that sort of color to the world. A brilliant gold. And when those friendly tendrils stretch through that blanket of fog, illuminating, exposing little particles of nature you wouldn’t have noticed otherwise. That’s the feeling. Dew, spherical, chilly, biting your feet. Long grass reaching up to shake your hand. Too good to be true, although, you know it is. Flinching as you pinch yourself, you’re still there. The horrid part about life is that it eventually withers and dies. For sure you’d be the happiest person on earth if you could live in this moment among the wildlife. Life doesn’t work like that though. One day you will be nothing but fertilizer for everything you see before you, you fear it, it haunts you.

Like you’re stranded on an iceberg, floating, simply existing. Going nowhere. Blue-green water slops up at you, but you ignore it. The sky is black except for a sliver of the moon that sits on the water in front of you, taunting you. As far as you know there is nothing else, nobody to help you, nothing to comfort you. You don’t eat, you don’t sleep, you don’t love, you don’t feel. You just know. The darkness begs that you plunge into the water, breaking its mirror-like surface. Despite much struggle, the iceberg doesn’t let you go. It hasn’t ever let anything go. It hates that you’ve been somewhere other than this place, the Otherworld. It hates earth, all the joy, sorrow, pain, caring, and love that have been produced there. These feelings are not mutual.

Just like last night you awake with a fright. The bed has all the signs of a fragmented yet deep sleep. Drool on the snow-white pillowcase, blankets thrown in a heap at the foot of the bed, and the sheets have come undone and have skillfully wrapped themselves around an arm. It might be yours but it’s almost as alien as the iceberg. Dried salt is still crusted to your face, crying should probably be removed from your nightly ritual. If only forgetfulness were an option. Another day begins, another dollar to be made. Skipping work sounds like a good idea, but in the end slavery to orthodoxy prevails. Next week is vacation though, which means only one thing. Time to stop, watch the sunrise, and take time to think: Life is beautiful.

How to Dress Well Love RemainsJames Vincent McMorrow Early In The Morning
William Fitzsimmons GoodnightThe Snake The Cross The Crown Cotton Teeth
Sean Kingston TomorrowJordaan Mason and The Horse Museum Divorce Lawyers I Shaved My Head
Knott- EMERITUS (4.5)

SeaAnemone (4.5)
This is exactly what you want in your head as your eyelids begin to falter and your mind begins to d...

YouAreMySilence (5)
choose what you found here, sing your own song....

With Our Heads in the Clo
recommended by reviewer
Trespassers William Different Stars

October 7th 2010

Not even sure what this is but I felt like writing about this album and this is what it makes me think of.

October 7th 2010

Decent review. Album blows.

Digging: Autechre - SIGN

SeaAnemone
October 7th 2010

balls sounds like you need to get laid you've been pretty cranky

NeutralThunder12
October 7th 2010

good review bro, should check this out during my next indie phase

October 7th 2010

I have been cranky but feeling more at ease since yesterday. Just never got into this album which is odd because I should have.

SeaAnemone
October 7th 2010

yeah that's what I assumed...

soothing female vocals? BALLS INSTANT 4.5

Agreed, will try again.

Also listen to Lizz Durrett.

AlexTM510
October 7th 2010

Really nice review. A bit unorthodox but nonetheless creative

I don't listen to this enough, but yea reading this makes me want to now.

October 7th 2010

Surprised you don't like this man. Will give Lizz Durrett some attention sometime.

Neutral you'd like this I bet.

Thanks Alex.

crazyblinddude
October 7th 2010

Absolutely love this album. Might become a 5 for me one day. Cool review/concept.

October 7th 2010

Thank you sir. It's getting to be that season where you should just 5 it. Also check out Trespassers William if you like this.

AnotherBrick

pos

October 7th 2010

Danke. Btw do you want that cd back?

crazyblinddude
October 7th 2010

Probably soon. But thanks for reminding me. I needed to re-listen to that album. May as well do it tonight.

Photon
October 7th 2010

yeah everything about this is great

DoubtGin
October 7th 2010

is it Prophet (your summary) or Prophets (track listing)?

good concept for a review

Photon
October 7th 2010

the track listing is right .it is prophets

Piglet
October 7th 2010

I'm really digging these concept reviews. Definite pos

AnotherBrick
October 7th 2010

nah dude, i've already burned another one

BenedictVII
October 7th 2010

In your last paragraph "another dollar to be mad." I'm assuming you mean made.
Good review though.
I remember seeing this around a while back, but haven't gotten around to listening to this yet. Maybe it will happen now.