Opeth
Lamentations

by Foodforthegods USER (35 Reviews)
October 10th, 2005 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

First Of All, Opeth is probably the most creative uncommercial band in the world. This Title give them a great reputation and that dvd is a good exemple. The DVD is basically the full live performence opeth did in 2003 at the Shepherd's Bush Empire. They played 2 sets. The Firt One was The totallity of their 2003 release 'Damnation'. This set is great. Some songs are pretty amazing to see. Windowpane opens the show and mikael's voice get you at the first note. Their's no mistake! The sound is awesome the video quality too. The other good point on this set is the extended version of closure. Wow!!!I was so amazed by this ending. This is pretty intense. The band Adds Harvest in the set. A pretty good version but I woould like to hear it with real acoustic guitars and not a fake sound from a Boss GT-6.

Goods= Windowpane,Closure, Hope Leaves, To Rid the dissease

Bads= Fake acoustic sound,

The second set is the heavy set. The Band Open with Master's Apprentices...and HO MY GOD!!!I remember when I listen to this...It was the first time I've heard opeth heavy side. I was so impressed.What a mighty sound. Perfect opening for an heavy set!!! The second song is the classic When Drapery Falls. Great Performance! Another songs that mikael's voice catch you. Then the heavy deliverance comes in. Wow This Song is amazing. Lepper Affinity follows. My favorite opeth song's. This is probably the most aggressive song of the shwo.The band closed with A Fair Jugement wich is pretty well done.

Goods= Mighty Sound,Master's Apprentices Lepper Affinity, A Fair Jugement

Bads= No song of the Before Blackwater Parks era.

The Documentary is really really interesting. One of the strong point of this dvd. You'll the fun and the hard part of making a record. You'll see different take from every member of the band. A explanation by mikael and the producer Steven Wilson.

This dvd would get a 5/5 if it was a regular opeth show. Demon Of The Fall is really a missing Part. I would Love To See The Moor,Godhead's lament, Advent, forest of october, To Bid You Farewell.

Dave Matthews Band Away From The WorldU2 360° at the Rose Bowl
Dave Matthews Band Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux KingNeal Morse Testimony
Dimension Zero Silent Night FeverNovembre The Blue

4.2
TojesDolan (4.5)
Opeth's first DVD release is, to say the least, fantastic. The production, the sound, the haunting v...

Ace_of_Bass2112
October 10th 2005

a bit short some detail would be nice but over all solid review

ive been looking around for this and i cant find it anywhere

Jawaharal

I saw it at a hot-topic

Toaster

Good review.

I didn't think this dvd represented Opeth well at all. They are more heavy than light, not vice versa. And they didn't play Demon of the Fall!! I was truly disappointed at that.

Serapheus
October 10th 2005

Perfect show. Opeth are grand, I luv the doco because of their funny accents and the scenes of Mikael screaming his head off.This Message Edited On 11.09.05

Dried Muffin Remnants
January 23rd 2006

Windowpane and Harvest were the only softer songs I liked by them... The heavy set was incredible, though.

4/5

Tyler
January 23rd 2006

Yeah, this DVD wasnt the easiest to find, but when I did it was only $20 Canadian. It was a STEAL.

niobium
February 11th 2006

Opeth didn't play anything from the first four albums because of the record label. Koch, I think it is. They could only play material from the last three releases (not counting Ghost Reveries) I think it's somewhere in the documentary.

Great performance though, I love Martin Mendez's side head bang. The songs could have been played a little more relaxed though, it seemed too tight.

Mr. Squeegee
April 19th 2006

The DVD is a good performance. My favorite part is the documentary. I don't think Opeth translates live all that well; don't get me wrong, I think they're the best currently recording band out there, it's just that their music doesn't seem to gain that much from the live atmosphere. Mikael's banter is pretty funny, the performances are all solid (you can tell they know what they're doing on their instruments), and the songs are still great, it's just they're played the exact same live and sound better coming out of a studio. Like niobium said, it's too tight (although I suppose that's just Opeth's nature and what makes them such a great studio band).
If you're an Opeth fan, you should get this anyway because it's Opeth - wouldn't recommend to someone who isn't familiar with the band though.

kurdt
May 31st 2006

correction mr. squeegee before i got this dvd i only knew them from damnation..the first par of the set was very very nice! they sure know how to play!
i was a bit excited when they hinted on playing heavier songs..when i saw the 2nd half of the set i was blown away! if you like sheer instrumantal prowess then pick this up!

M A D R I G A L
June 9th 2006

This DVD was great. I agree with an above poster that it didn't represent them too too well. It's my favorite band, so I'm not going to complain. I've actually shown this DVD to numerous people, all of which, turned into devout fans.

eug008
June 17th 2006

Looks good but i can't find it

Spoonful of Shame
July 5th 2006

You just found it.

Cygnus Inter Anates
July 5th 2006

Akerfeldt's growling could be better on "The Leper Affinity", but this basically rules anyway.

SynGates
May 3rd 2007

I saw a couple of vids of songs from this....they were played perfectly but it seems like their concerts would be a little boring. Then again I've been in the prescence of such talent before.