Monolake
Silence

by Adash USER (43 Reviews)
August 31st, 2010 | 12 replies

Review Summary: Who ever thought silence would be good enough to eat?

Burial’s Untrue was the dark and melancholy soundtrack of cities filled with the living corpses of yesterdays lost life. It portrayed exactly what it was like to be human in a labyrinth of eight million and yet still feel utterly alone.
Silence, on the other hand, is a journey through entirely dead cities overgrown by vegetation, yet still bearing the hallmarks of human existence – abandoned yet functioning computers, scattered belongings, and echoes of voices emanating from the darkest corners. It is the book of sound dripping with both the dark ink of cities and the verdant sap of forests.

Both man and nature contribute to the chapters making up this work – synths splatter across thunderstorms like lightning whilst somnolent beats melt below; the heartbeat of a weary earth embracing the ethereal sky. What’s astonishing is the comfort that can be found in the emptiness. Far from being a soundtrack to desolation and loneliness, it is filled with exquisite warmth throughout. Drops of rainwater fall in myriad splashes onto sine waves that lap against shorelines and slowly erode the imprints of footsteps still echoing with maudlin menace. Soft synths drift like bubbles before bursting asunder, glimmering rainbows in the otherworldly darkness.

So it’s no surprise that, contrary to the name, Silence is all about sound in its infinite forms. Meticulously mapped out beats, fragmented voices overheard purely by chance and the gorgeously chaotic sounds of nature all combine to form a delicious musical banquet, a veritable feast for the ears. Paradoxically, it brings to mind a pitch black noiseless room in which one can see and hear perfectly, if only one listens.

But why waste words when a single breath will do;
It is in the depths of Silence that the most profound beauty lurks.

Autechre ExaiVladislav Delay Vantaa
Pinch and Shackleton Pinch and ShackletonOneohtrix Point Never Replica
Patten GLAQJO XAACSOMatthew Herbert One Pig

Ghosts

BigTuna
August 31st 2010

Great review man, but the last two lines are unfortunately cheesy. Other than that, it's VERY well-written and descriptive enough to preview the album while at the same time keeping its integrity. Good shit. Pos'd

BigTuna
August 31st 2010

By the way check out Concert Silence - 9.22.07. Similar to this, but not as polished...a bit more glitchy.

September 2nd 2010

cheers

: D i always get a bit carried away writing

will check out

geng
April 25th 2011

1986 Comments

Can't decide if this is album is really good or really shitty and pointless

April 26th 2011

This album is rejokulously good, trust. Whack it on some beast speakers or headphones and lose yo bad self

Zettel
May 16th 2011

Hahaha. I was counting on you to have a Monolake review, and here it is. I only have Cinemascope, but I am trying this next.

May 17th 2011

MassiveAttack
March 31st 2012

I love the sporadic nature of the guitar strums and synths that splash through repetitive hums of bass, drones and hisses.

April 1st 2012

Don't we all son. Don't we all

clercqie
April 1st 2012

^ Yep

Trifolium
September 21st 2018

Sooooo delicious. Infinite Snow is one of his best.

Trifolium
September 26th 2018

And Void... Superb record.