Hopes Die Last
Six Years Home

by chambered89 USER (66 Reviews)
July 15th, 2010 | 11 replies

Review Summary: Six Years Home is undoubtably their best record, but that unfortunately doesn't say much as the album is commonplace within the genre and doesn't offer much originality in terms of hardcore songwriting and hooks.

Hopes Die Last is a hardcore band hailing from eastern Italy. Combining harsh screams with somewhat catchy vocal melodies, Hopes Die Lasts' dynamics hark back to Underoaths They're Only Chasing Safety days. Six Years Home is undoubtably their best record, but that unfortunately doesn't say much as the album is commonplace within the genre and doesn't offer much originality in terms of hardcore songwriting and hooks.

You could even stop at the album's very first track, "Some Like It Cold", and find out what Six Years Home is all about without stepping foot into the following tracks. It's a decent enough song, overflowing with riffs and screams that hits you with stupefaction at first, but after the inital come down all that is left is cookie-cutter ideas and not much zazz. The track does a nice job however of exploring Hopes Die Lasts full gathering of concepts, most of which are stemming from ideas that similar bands before them did better.

Sure, drones of hardcore teens looking for another "brutal" album will eat this *** up. It's no doubt catchy at times and there's just enough variation to keep the most ADD-ridden kid afloat for its entire running time. But that does not excuse the fact that this feels like a rehash of better albums before its time; not as well executed, the screams are very weak at times, and overall an average listen. This is a poor mans Underoath.

Women Public StrainHip Hatchet Coward's Luck
The Roots undunTwo Door Cinema Club Tourist History
Real Estate DaysJenny Hval Viscera

Trust No one

Nikkolae
July 15th 2010

this band still exists? good review btw, sounds horrible

Digging: Cosmic Church - Ylistys

PinkBlackberry
July 15th 2010

Pretty good review, I'd have to agree. Once you hear the first song, the whole CD is layed out before you.

But I won't lie every once and a while I'll throw on "Call me sick boy" and rock out a bit, pretty awesome song

July 15th 2010

This is a poor mans Underoath.

but you said it was hardcore? i'm confused

July 16th 2010

yeah that confused the shit out of me. haha you said it was along the lines of their only chasing safety but kept talking about it being hardcore

July 16th 2010

its alll goood :p otherwise it was totally written fine

LG
July 16th 2010

It really don't think this sounds much like underoath. If you put aside the harsh vocals of course. Still New Underoath album soon woohoo.

East Hastings
July 17th 2010

screams that hits you with stupefaction at first

Should be hit. Other than that, pretty good review. Just add commas where they need to be added :P pos'd

mechatanner
August 6th 2010

Yea this album was not as fun at all. You're face down just had more raw emotion coming through. I do like the vocals though, just because its something different. The italian accent really shows through, even in the screams.

They do sound a lot like underoath's "Their Only Chasing Safety". But id actually say they sound more like "Define The Great Line" seeing as they got heavier for that album.

Acanthus
September 29th 2010

The vocal's are nice, the songs normally catchy, yet somehow it just manages to make me loose interest after awhile.

xstaytrue18x
December 20th 2010

call me sick boy is a great song. i remember i used to listen to it all the time back in 08/

Hospital
February 15th 2012

I do agree this band reminds me a lot like underoath... more so like they aspire to be like underoath. I enjoy this band enough though to give them spins every now again.

I really enjoy

Some like it cold and call me sick boy... I believe their EP had better songs overall. I even like the older version of call me sick boy. more raw