The Roots
How I Got Over

by chambered89 USER (66 Reviews)
June 20th, 2010 | 96 replies

Review Summary: If you're heading to a chilled out party on the pier this summer, do yourself a favor and bring along How I Got Over.

The Roots have had an outstanding career. Beginning in 1993 with Organix, The Roots have expanded upon their eclectic style of hip-hop throughout the years, peaking at 1999's brilliant Things Fall Apart. 5 albums later after their opus, The Roots are still going strong in 2010 as they were a decade ago with another consistent release in How I Got Over. One of the best albums of the year so far, How I Got Over delivers with amazing persistence while being blessed with enchanting guest spots and vocals all the way through.

Whereas Rising Down was gritty, heavy, and somewhat abrasive, How I Got Over is totally lucid: sure, The Roots signature intelligent street-life lyrics are still very much in tact, however the music backing it is airy and contradictory. The effect is refreshing and pleasing; this might be the first Roots album where I actually smiled. In the title track where the catchy-as-f**k chorus comes in, yelling "out on the streets, where I grew up/first thing they teach is not to give a ***" one would expect heavy beats and a strong punishing message. Instead what we are given is almost a summer day jam; a glossy free-flowing pop song that is executed wonderfully. This is Roots for outdoor listening, exercising, or just hanging out with a couple of friends. There's no scathing criticism on social problems here, no fear of a cheating spouse; just The Roots knowing what they do well and having fun doing it.

As strong as the main band is on How I Got Over, something must be said about the outstanding guest performances. John Legend is in full form on "The Fire" as is Joanna Newsom's ethereal vocals on "Right On". Both tracks are catchy, memorable, and keep the album going at its luminous pace. Perhaps one of the stranger guest performances appears on "The Day" where vocalist Patty Crash creates one of the best melodies on the album. "When I wake up/I Look into the mirror/I can see a clearer vision/I should start living today/cause today is gonna be the day, is gonna be the day" she croons so delicately that it's hard to sit still through the duration of her stay. With backing music that sounds half Alice In Wonderland and half hip-hop, "The Day" is honest, beautiful, and one of the best songs on the album.

In the onslaught of good music coming out this year, it will be hard for some to remember How I Got Over. It's never epic, never astounding by any means. It doesn't provoke as much serious thought as previous Roots albums. However when push comes to shove, this is one of the most consistent albums of the year. It is a very distinct album in The Roots' celebrated discography and an oringial hip-hop gem. If you're heading to a chilled out party on the pier this summer, do yourself a favor and bring along How I Got Over.

Women Public StrainHip Hatchet Coward's Luck
The Roots undunTwo Door Cinema Club Tourist History
Real Estate DaysJenny Hval Viscera
kingsoby1 EMERITUS (3.5)
A different but worthy addition to the most consistent discography of all time....

SowingSeason STAFF (4)
A message of hope....

themtunes97 (4.5)
Bonafide classic, you feel me?...

Mclovin
June 20th 2010

I've been wanting to check out The Roots, pretty good review.
But, the conclusion's kinda weak bro. Make the conclusion draw your thoughts together a little better and I'll pos.

edit: Actually, just defend your points in the conclusion. You said why people may NOT think highly of it, but you never really gave opposing logic against that.

Yazz_Flute
June 20th 2010

Review read nicely but I agree, seemed a bit short.

I haven't listened to this one much yet.

hellomother

album rules

Yazz_Flute
June 20th 2010

I ranked Omni a few days ago ;)

On the contrary I reviewed an album yesterday, you should check that shit out.

eternium
June 20th 2010

Most consistent rap artists of all time, easily.

Great review. Pos'd.

ThePalestMexican
June 20th 2010

I need to listen to this

robin
June 20th 2010

this is just insanely addictive. i don't know what draws me to it at all.

Deviant.
June 20th 2010

Its a really good album, but being their last and all I kinda want it to be better

dcha
June 20th 2010

Summary of this review is the lamest thing I've ever read.

robin
June 20th 2010

yeah to be honest it fits the album in the simplest terms, and there's nothing wrong with that. i could definitely see where youre coming from in terms of tracks like 'right on'.

but yeah so lame and uncool (good review)

ebay
June 20th 2010

great review. still have to give this a solid listen.

SlyJak
June 20th 2010

Nice review Duke. I'm really looking forward to this album. But is this really their last?!?! Weeping is imminent....

Tupik
June 20th 2010

Good review, a I'm a big Roots stan, can't wait to listen to this.

farglesnuff
June 20th 2010

im pretty sure this album will be spinnin quite a bit this summer. nice review.

Romulus
June 20th 2010

This was pretty awesome on first listen. I need to check out their other stuff first though.

EVedder27
June 20th 2010

Oh damn, is chambered becoming a reviewer? Nice dude.

cfbassist

such a good album

cvlts

too many guest spots.

1MicLight

Gonna get this
However, what would you guys rank this album compared to their past discography?

cvlts
June 20th 2010

If you don't have Things Fall Apart then get that first.