Monomate
Grand Battle

by wachooo USER (1 Reviews)
June 19th, 2010 | 13 replies

Review Summary: Monomate's debut album is fresh, original, and a great listen.

Monomate comes to the scene with an album titled (i)Grand Battle(/I)

The album opens with a eye opening song starting with the sound of a Game Boy, right then you know that the use of nintendocore is in the entire album. The whole album is sadly done with MIDI instruments and any nintendo samples Monomate could find. Since the Nintendo 8-but noises make this album so great, Monomate decided it would be nice to add in fake instruments, bad idea. Though it is tolerable real recorded instruments would have made this album possibly a classic and if one of the very few errors in this album.

As boring as you might think an entire album of nothing but Nintendo practically would get, Monomate makes sure to keep every song fresh, and on some songs, change the whole genre within the genre of Nintendocore.

The main downfall in this album is the lyrics. If any one was a fan of any of the popular Nintendo games you will realize that they are about Nintendo games, which is pretty cool and they go well with the music, and to think about it, Nintendo lyrics is the best decision, but, some of them are just down right awful and could have easily been fine lyrics.

Cussing is something you should keep very very subtle, or you will just sound stupid, which happens in a few songs, causing them to sound a little stupid but for only a few moments.

If Monomate makes sure to not to cuss unnecessarily and record real instruments, it would definitely be a classic.

Monomate is definitely in the boat alone with his music and very original(besides Horse the band, but still, they sound completely different).

overall rating 4/5

best tracks(all are very enjoyable though):

1. The Surfing Song
2.Big Fish, Small Pond
8.Neurosis III
12.Grand Battle

Xenophanes STAFF (3.5)
A guilty pleasure, fit for the nerd in all of us....

Whatsgood (4)
Thinking mans popcore....

Yazz_Flute
June 20th 2010

Not a great review, lacks substance. It is your first though. I'm too tired to give real advice.

This looks interesting to say the least.

June 20th 2010

yeah i was up at about three in the morning with nothing to do, so i saw no review for this, and i said "why not?"

thanks for your input.

Yazz_Flute
June 20th 2010

Wow i'm actually really enjoying this so far. It's not as gimmicky as I would have expected. The fact that real instruments aren't used detracts from the quality, but it's very well composed on the other hand.

June 21st 2010

yeah I listen to frequently, but yeah as i said, this would be so much better if real instruments were used.

elephantREVOLUTION
June 23rd 2010

Nice try, but this review is pretty bad. I tried to write a review for this when it first came out, but I only got the intro done

June 24th 2010

oh man

July 16th 2010

I know this review is short, but anything was better than my first review of this album.

Yet, I still know that this will most likely get just as much shit as the first one.

Feel free to criticize but, be mature.

July 16th 2010

Thank you for the input. Check out the band the rendering btw, I wanna see if everyone thinks they are as bad as I do. I was gonna review it, but no one knows about them, not that big.

DinoX
September 1st 2010

Lol @ Nintendocore in general

September 2nd 2010

Coming from someone digging a band that lip sings live.

Leatherneck
October 3rd 2010

dude the review reads like a 2 rating at best but you gave it a 4.
i mean half the review is pointing out bad things and the other half are poorly
writted opinions

October 7th 2010

1st review, I know it sucks.

br00talsamitch