Hey Monday
Hold On Tight

by Adam Amanse USER (14 Reviews)
May 12th, 2010 | 78 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Filled with catchy choruses and beautiful vocals, Hey Monday's "Hold On Tight" grabs you from the beginning and doesn't let go.

Hey Monday, the power-pop quintet out of Ft. Lauderdale Florida has made a very impressive debut with 2008's "Hold On Tight." While some would say that the riffs are cliche and tasteless, some others would say they are catchy and lively. I am one of the latter who believe, that although not technically perfect or impressive, they are filled with catchy hooks and simple but effective power chords. A prime example of this would be the opening song "Set Off." This song "sets" the tone for the album which is just plain fun. The riffs and instrumentals are all basically a catalyst for frontwoman Cassadee Pope's vocals, and you need to understand this while listening to the album.

As for the vocal performance in the album, some find her vocals too poppy but this IS a pop band. Some of the lyrics tend to be a bit corny, but others shine such as in the songs "Homecoming" and "Run Don't Walk." In fact, 20 year old Cassadee Pope herself is the main reason this band is gaining momentum like it is. Her infectious charm and beauty make it easy to forget about the music and focus on the image of the band. In fact, the album is much more enjoyable and infectious AFTER you see them live. The energy and charisma that they have on stage really adds to the album after you've seen a live performance by them. Songs you felt were mediocre before (Arizona) now seem much better.

Now to the song writing structure. This genre is not known for complex time signatures that BTBAM and CoCa are known for, nor for the extensive musicianship found in those two bands. This is power-pop and the whole point to power-pop is to be catchy, and they perfect this aspect. Songs like "How You Love Me Now" and "Run, Don't Walk" are perfect examples of the infectiousness that is Hey Monday. "Homecoming" would be added to this list of perfect examples, if it weren't raped by the ridiculously simple and out of place "solo". But all in all, this album tends to hook you and reel you in with parts you can bob your head side-to-side to, and can sing along with . What Hey Monday does best are songs that anybody will listen to, no matter what type of music listener they are. I mean even the ballads are catchy. Both "Candles" and "6 Months" make you feel Cassadee's heartache (although one wonders how much you can really be in "love" at age 18) and you can't help but sing along. All and all, this album by many will not be a classic, but by its genre's standards and expectations, it is definitely a classic.

Pros:
Cassadee Pope
VERY catchy
"Run, Don't Walk"

Cons:
the "solo" in "Homecoming"

Chicano Batman Freedom Is FreeNo Party For Cao Dong The Serville
Switchfoot Fading WestDir En Grey The Unraveling
Oh, Sleeper Children Of FireZao Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest
3.3
BallsToTheWall (3)
Sputnik's most brutal review from sputnik's most brutal reviewer. Sounds a like a poor mans Paramore...

Beneath It All

May 12th 2010

Bring on the neg's.....if you do, don't judge by the rating, but go by the structure please.

Digging: Ichiko Aoba - QP

May 12th 2010

"by its genre's standards and expectations, it is definitely a classic."

doesn't mean its a classic at all. and there's a million albums that are super-catchy (some good, some downright awful)... what separates this one?

Also, you may want to proofread a teensy bit more.

May 12th 2010

as far as what? just so I know and thanks

May 12th 2010

wow seriously, delete this review. i really don't want to have to rate this album.

This is power-pop and the whole point to power-pop is CATCHY.

infectiousness that is Hey Monday.

ahhhhhhh stop it im gonna hav 2 neg ahhhhhhh

A prime example of this would be the opening song "Set Off". This song "sets" the tone for

the albumwhich is mediocre,

wut?

but again, catchy guitar riffs that are written solely to give Cassadee's vocals that much

more "oomph".

id give her an 'oomph'

May 12th 2010

uh yes. and i might delete it and re-write it later, but regardless its going as a "5" and its going up tonight

May 12th 2010

actually not as much proofreading as just revision, mind if I make some suggestions?

first, take out the first sentence entirely.

am one of the latter who believe, that although not technically perfect or impressive, they are filled with catchy hooks and lively strumming.

you don't 'believe' this, they either are this or aren't... also, change your comma placement there to make it less awkward por favor

albumwhich

is that like a sandwich?

also, in general periods go inside quotes... like this."

And what "oomph" she has.

is a fragment

Cassaddee Pope herself

take out "herself" it's unnecessary and awkward

stuff like that... and you used "to" for "too" somewhere too... I'm sure there's more but there's some.

May 12th 2010

and yeah, academy nailed this better than I did when I wasn't looking.

May 12th 2010

well i am deleting and re-writing.....if i could figure out how to delete. but like i said, go ahead and neg. Just cause you don't agree with the album doesn't mean it deserves a neg

May 12th 2010

you can't be serious dude, we're not negging because we disagree with the rating. I haven't heard this, it's just that this review is bad, no offense... we're trying to help.

May 12th 2010

oh no problem dude, i understand lol thats why i'm deleting this. Thanks for the help

May 12th 2010

HINT: don't call this power pop. its not. its simple pop-punk. its blink 182 without being fun.

May 12th 2010

except how do you delete it?

May 12th 2010

but seriously, you may want to come up with better reasons of why this is a 5 other than it being catchy... because people are
going to be quick to neg (and rightly so) if that's it.

you ask in the Sputnik forum.

[img]http://assets.lolquiz.com/4a7d3e6ca823a.jpg[/img]

just edit it and delete shit.

i'm no gangsta i'm an average man.

its not an act this is fact this is how i programmed

May 12th 2010

alright thanks i'll do that later.

naaa do it now u dont want this to get out, ITS BLOOD IN THE WATER

AND THE SHARKS WILL COME

May 12th 2010

I can't, I'm in a net com class and we are leaving haha, oh well.

May 12th 2010

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHFUCK I'll try to fend them off for ya with pics of cassadee

[img]http://i29.tinypic.com/lfgc7.jpg[/img]

May 12th 2010

haha thanks man, and sorry for the shitty rushed review. I'll edit it as soon as I can

May 12th 2010

dood im listening to avenged sevenfold = super indie