Darkest Hour
Undoing Ruin

by encmetalhead USER (48 Reviews)
September 14th, 2005 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Here is a quick history of how I found out about Darkest Hour. I had just started looking over victory records bands when I got an email that said I could look over part 1 of a trailer for a new CD. I was intrigued and I went and saw it. I have to say, it was a great trailer and the song in the background was awesome.

The Album was pretty interesting for me since I hadn’t heard much from them. The first song, “With a Thousand Words to Say But One”, had me wanting more for the first 45 seconds then they hit you with the drums and the shredding. I really don’t know how they chose that with the lyrics but the lyrics are great and it takes like 5 to 6 listen throughs to finally start to understand the lyrics without reading them. The second song and first single from the CD is “Convalescence.” This song is the most “mainstream” song on the CD, but that’s not a bad thing in this case. This was a great change in pace and it sounded awesome.

“This Will Outlive Us” and “Sound the Surrender” were decent, they seemed to be missing something. I think they should had added an extra bass guitar or something to give it a little more texture. “Pathos” is the first instrumental and it added an acoustic guitar to the mix and it was mellow. It was a nice break from the intense shredding from the first 4 songs. So far the vocals from John Henry are great and I can easily say that Metal is my kind of music.

“Low” is next and it was missing something that I can't put my finger on. I was hoping another song like “Convalescence” was coming up after Low but I get another instrumental in “Ethos.” The best song from the middle line up is up next in the form of “District Divided.” This drops a lyrical bomb with “we know your plans don‘t include us/that‘s why we‘ve made our own destroyers.”

The bottom of the lineup has to show a little more promise then the middle, don’t get me wrong the middle was great but it was missing something. The bottom line-up delivers a near knockout punch with “These Fevered Times” and “Paradise” then delivered the finisher with a Seven minute long finale in “Tranquil.”

I will have to give this four and a half out of five.

Onward To Olympas This World Is Not My HomeGreeley Estates No Rain, No Rainbow
brokeNCYDE I'm Not a Fan, but the Kids Like It!Decyfer Down Crash
The Sleeping What It TakesArise And Ruin Night Storms Hailfire

Apathy
September 14th 2005

Decent review for your first. It was too short, and you did not give a bio of the band. If you are going to do a track-by-track, try and go into more detail with each track, and set it up correctly. And is this CD similar to Lamb of God's As the Palaces Burn?

Shattered_Future
September 14th 2005

Ok review...just more information first. It makes the review a lot better.

Also, spacing issues could be resolved too...make each track a paragraph or so.

I think this is closer in vein to traditional metalcore, with a melodic death metal edge. The music was decent, but the vocals completely killed this release for me.

Thor
September 14th 2005

Yeah, this isn't the best review but your a newb as of right now and that's ok. Keep going and you'll have some good reviews later on.

Digging: The Ocean - Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic

Storm In A Teacup
September 14th 2005

I was going to reveiw this tomorrow. Still might though.

.HowTheWestWasWon.
September 23rd 2005

I've liked John's vocals since 'Mark of the Judas', and they just continue to progress. The review was a bit shaky, I wish you'd have been more specific about what these songs were "missing", because the solo at the beginning of "This Will Outlive Us" is insane, along with the doubled solo/bridges in "Sound the Surrender". The only problem I had with this album was the length (or lack thereof). 'Hidden Hands...' was a straight hour long, at only 10 tracks. (I'm speaking of the re-issue, with the remixed version of "For The Soul of The Saviour", off of MotJ). 'Undoing Ruin', however, was eleven tracks and only 38 minutes. I agree, this is definitely a metalcore album, with death melody in the mix solidly throughout the album. Also, another consensus, more background bio. They have three other albums before this. Talk about them. Otherwise, yeah. Not too bad.

encmetalhead