Inspectah Deck
The Manifesto

good

by hydeyomoney USER (73 Reviews)
March 23rd, 2010 | 23 replies

Review Summary: The first really GOOD record this man has ever put out, let's give him a hand.

Inspectah Deck comes back for his first official studio album release in seven years (the absurdly awful The Resident Patient was a mixtape, thank god), and on The Manifesto, he sounds better than he has in a long time. While, like most Wu-Tangers not named Ghostface, GZA, or Raekwon, he barely has enough own personality in his actual rapping, rather ripping the beat to shreds with internal rhymes and quick flows rather than making you think about anything. His rapping, while un-charismatic and generally unconvincing, is precise and murderous, like the Wu-Tang Clan rappers should.

The Manifesto wants to be Only Built For Cuban Linx II, and while the production does have a certain theatric touch that makes Deck’s rapping all the more entertaining, it’s a bit more odd and not quite as quality as the record mentioned. When Deck’s production choices take a short break for grand imitation, sometimes the highlights show themselves, like “The Big Game”, which at first sounds like a weak attempt at radio play, but sizzling synthesizers and click clack drums create a fizzling backdrop for Raekwon and Inspectah to spit some gloriously over-the-top cash talk.

Overall, the chances The Manifesto takes makes it sound as if it should be awful, and it’s imitating is no laughing matter, but somehow, this seems to have made Inspectah Deck his own mini-mafioso classic. While nowhere near as good as Rae’s or even Ghost’s latest albums, this is clearly the best Inspectah Deck record out there, and the production is far beyond that of what is usually put on his records. At this point, I guess it’s good to say that every Wu-Tang member has put out a good album or two now.

Rick Ross Teflon DonKrallice Dimensional Bleedthrough
Method Man and Redman Blackout!Pharrell Williams In My Mind
Freddie Gibbs The Miseducation Of Freddie GibbsE-40 Revenue Retrievin': Night Shift
2.9
good

Uncontrolled Substance

hydeyomoney
March 23rd 2010

Everything else this guy has released generally sucks. Glad he finally did something right. Even U-God got right before Inspectah did though :-(

Urinetrouble
March 23rd 2010

so your saying even the wu tang clan albums suck? and he has some good solo stuff.

SHAME ON A NIGGA

good review.

wu is good but way overrated.

March 23rd 2010

When I listen to this album I feel like just about every song can be considered at least "good", but it's really really forgettable. Glad you reviewed this though. Always been really disappointing that INS hasn't ever released and album to be ranked among Liquid Swords, OBFCL, and Supreme Clientele, guy tears it up when he does guest appearances.

I have this at a 3 because it is good, but I don't see ever liking it more than that.

March 23rd 2010

hmm, checking this right now.

illmitch
March 23rd 2010

this describes sooooooo many wu-tang clan side projects its not even funny

March 23rd 2010

if it weren't for cappadonna, it would probably describe all of them.

illmitch

lol

describes most jay rock albums too come to think of it

C.S.B.

March 24th 2010

Yeah I wouldn't know I've hit just about every acclaimed solo album from the wu, but this was probably the first release that wasn't that I really gave a good listen to.

Urinetrouble
March 24th 2010

just heard it. album is average. i like GZA's stuff more

March 24th 2010

Needs more "Poisonous paragraphs, smash ya phonograph in half, it be the Inspectah Deck on the warpath"

totally meh album.

March 24th 2010

It's interesting how that works.

If someone who isn't Inspectah Deck released this, it would totally be cool to check out to see the potential.

But not only is this so obviously below his potential, it's also filled with the same mediocrity all his other albums (or so I hear) are filled with.

Then there's also the fact that it's gonna be standing in the shadow of OBFCL2, and the fact that pretty much any Wu fan would be more excited for Wu-Massacre than this.

And last but not least he's talking up his next album The Rebellion to be his last one, so if there was any interest in checking out an INS album, it would make the most sense to just check that one out when it drops anyways.

Poor guy. He should just try to do more guest spots. Be the Ghostface to someone's Raekwon maybe.

March 28th 2010

So sympathetic. :D

September 20th 2010

this is pretty good, but I like Uncontrolled Substance more

HalfManHalfAmazing
November 6th 2010

1968 Comments

Horrible album. At least Resident Patient had a few highlights like "A Lil Story" and "Sound of the Slums" that are far better than anything on this shitfest.

November 6th 2010

what do find so horrible about it?

HalfManHalfAmazing
November 24th 2010

1968 Comments

The beats man, they're like wtf horrible. INS didn't fare so well either.

November 24th 2010

I think some of the beats are pretty catchy, but they do sound low-budget, like they were made in Acid Music or something lol