Ghostface Killah
Bulletproof Wallets

2.0
poor

by somberlain USER (64 Reviews)
March 22nd, 2010 | 27 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The first chink in Ironman’s armor.

After the relative dry spell in Wu solo albums following Wu-Tang Forever, the Wu’s superhero Ironman saved the day with Supreme Clientele which was a return to form for the Clan and seemed like a rebirth for the once can’t-miss crew. Unfortunately, Bulletproof Wallets is not on par with either of Ghost’s first two albums and because of sample clearance issues and troubles with his record label (once again screwing up the track listing) this album is a major drop-off in the quality that we had come to expect from Ghostface.

Even with his trusty clansmate Raekwon riding shotgun for Bulletproof Wallets it still doesn’t make this a good album especially with Raekwon’s uninspired lyricism. “Maxine” starts off the album with Ghost spinning a violent drug tale over some horns provided by RZA with Raekwon spitting a verse that ends with “James jumped on Moon, poked him with a screw driver, broke the TV niggas watching Knight Rider,” what""" Then on the corny first single “Never Be the Same Again” he drops this line: “You think that I'm the biggest bird in America, catch me on TV, I'm come back, never the…” Thankfully his appearance on “The Hilton” is much better, backed by a Jackson 5 sample courtesy of outstanding yet extremely underrated producer Carlos "6 July" Broady.

Too much time is given to ancillary Wu-Tang rappers Superb, Trife and Killa Sin who simply are not on the level of the actual Clan members and hit-or-miss RZA disciple, producer Mathematics. “Strawberry” is one of the “hits” from Mathematics with it’s subtle horns and vocal samples but “Theodore” is a major miss with its cheap sounding keyboard twinkles that is further ruined by Ghost’s awful hook, no to mention verses by Trife and Twiz. Although Ghost deserves some credit for the imaginative “The Forest,” a drug story with cartoon characters, it’s just not very good with weak beat by the Alchemist who also provides an underwhelming backdrop for “The Juks” where Ghost seems like the guest alongside Superb and Trife. RZA’s contributions are very good if unspectacular but his production shines on “Walking Through the Darkness” a mid-tempo beat accented by Tekitha’s soft, beautiful vocals.

There are several bad tracks on Bulletproof Wallets (as well as some awful skits) but the biggest problem is what’s NOT on this album, namely “The Sun” feat. RZA, Raekwon and Slick Rick! It IS on the track listing but due to sample clearances it didn’t make the album which is a shame because it would’ve been the best track on here. Also not making the cut were “The Watch” and “Good Times” once again due to sample clearances, Ghost accused his record label of not wanting to come up with the cash to clear those samples and subsequently this was his last album for Epic.

Maybe because I expected so much from Ghostface after Supreme Clientele I was thoroughly disappointed by Bulletproof Wallets but even after repeated listening it left me out in the cold and his sex tales on “Strawberry” are flat-out boring. If Supreme Clientele made me think that the Wu was back, Bulletproof Wallets took me back to the days after Wu-Tang Forever where solo albums by Wu members became increasingly irrelevant.

Recommended tracks:

Roadrunner United Roadrunner United The Concert (DVD)AZ Doe or Die
3.1
good

March 22nd 2010

Hate to do this because I love Ghost but this was such a letdown

hydeyomoney
March 22nd 2010

I disagree with you this is good, but it does have some duds.

So much better than the trash that is The Pretty Toney Album.

Good review, bro.

Inveigh
March 22nd 2010

hey look, another somberlain review I agree with 100%. also, very well written. have a pos homie

March 22nd 2010

that last paragraph really sums up my feelings, I LOVED 'Supreme Clientele' and this was an incredible letdown, 'Pretty Toney' isn't much better

Deviant.
March 22nd 2010

Ghost's worse album by far

hydeyomoney
March 22nd 2010

i'm pretty sure none of you have heard The Pretty Toney Album lol.

Deviant.

Rated that about a 3, this is worse

illmitch
March 22nd 2010

havent listened to this but noz says its good so ima have to check it out sometime

March 22nd 2010

I've never been a Wu-fan.

OBFCL was the shit though

March 22nd 2010

never been a wu fan lolwut? wssup man. hey bull you ever check out that twin perils thing i reviewed?

Inveigh
March 22nd 2010

I think Pretty Toney is noticeabely worse, and far from his best material.

March 22nd 2010

never been a wu fan lolwut? wssup man. hey bull you ever check out that twin perils thing i reviewed.

yea i did. sadly, i did not like it. i should probably sound off on that right now. basically, the lyrics were great. but the production
and vocals didn't mesh at all. it made me a die inside a bit.

March 22nd 2010

ah okay. i wasnt a fan of the production and yes they clashed but someone told me this. "is everything supposed to match?"

March 22nd 2010

lolwut? and its not that the production was atrocious in and of itself, but the rapping and the beats clashed so annoyingly.

March 22nd 2010

ah.............. i dunno i just hate june marxs production. lord gammas was much better on burnt sector

MassiveAttack
March 23rd 2010

There's alot of chinks in this man's armor. Especially more recently...he can't seem to create an album without a fuckload of filler.

March 23rd 2010

Wu has almost all of their members over 40, in six to eight years, they're going to be pretty much gone.

March 24th 2010

"There's alot of chinks in this man's armor. Especially more recently"

that's why I said this was the FIRST chink in his armor since his first 2 albums were great

March 24th 2010