Los Campesinos!
Romance Is Boring

good

by Gerbilman USER (9 Reviews)
March 10th, 2010 | 7 replies

Review Summary: A must for fans, a maybe to everyone else.

Following the phenomenally well-received debut album (Hold On Now, Youngster) and the equally enjoyable Extended E.P. (We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed) expectations were always going to be high for Los Campesinos official second album "Romance Is Boring."

Immediately, Los Campesinos come across as a changed band - jumping into their opening song "In Medias Rias". It seems as though they have abandoned their twee indie pop roots and substituted them with darker, brooding indie rock. Is this a good thing? It would be unfair to judge the album as a whole just by the opening track. The slightly unnerving start is followed up by what Los Campesinos do best - glockenspiel-driven indie-pop. The delightful "Ba-Bas" keep the smiles coming, surely making "There Are Listed Buildings" the perfect summer anthem. The momentum continues throughout the title track, the entertaining "Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown #2" ("I've learnt more from toilet walls, than I've learnt from these words of yours!) and the abrasive "Plan A".

However, "Romance Is Boring" seamlessly goes off the rails for the next five songs or so. The witty humorous lyrics exhibited in earlier songs, such as the brilliant lyrical hook in "There Are Listed Buildings" - "I remember being naked to my waist... but not in which direction", are swapped for truly bizarre, and often vulgar lyrics. One track in particular "Who Fell Asleep In" oversteps the mark by exploring a passionate relationship with a nun. The lyric "We turned our backs on the church, with our trousers around our knees" prominently stayed in my mind for all the wrong reasons!

After what seems like an eternity, the eleventh song, "I Just Sighed, I Just Sighed, Just So You Know" sends the rollercoaster-ride of an album back on track with catchy ostinatos and vibrant instrumentation. The album finally peaks with the daunting crescendo of "The Sea Is A Good Place To Think Of The Future", which documents the events encountered by a suicidal girl.

The lyrics on this album are truly sublime to say the least, and are really the album's saving grace. However, the poor middle section of the album disappoints massively. To slate this album would be rather unfair really and that is why O a, giving the album 3 stars. Undoubtedly, whatever path Los Campesinos choose next will be exciting, and one thing will be guaranteed fantastic lyrics.

By Robin Joynson

PUP Morbid StuffAJJ The Bible 2
The Xcerts There Is Only YouElephant elephant
Lester J. Allen Deadly QuietManchester Orchestra Simple Math
Knott- EMERITUS (4)
I can't believe I chose the mountains every time you chose the sea is a good place to think we need ...

Slum

Good review, except

"To slate this album would be rather unfair really and that is why O a, giving the album 3 stars."

..What?

burnafterbreeding
March 11th 2010

band is so beyond irritating.

cool review

Knott-

how can you not like Straight In At 101

burnafterbreeding
March 11th 2010

lemme listen to it and i'll let you know

Thompsonhunt

cd rocks

Gerbilman
March 11th 2010

Haha, sorry about the mess up in the last paragraph! I did proof read it but not well enough. This is actually my first proper review I've written!

Steoandnoodles
March 19th 2010

Well actually I disgree with you. :P
I think it is the other way around. One for everyone else and sub-par for the Los Campesinos! fans.
As a fan myself; I feel Romance Is Boring is...well boring. It has great moments and dull, almost tiresome moments. Still, that is only in comparison to their own work.

Very well written review though.
Shame our opinions clash. Haha