Mutiny Within
Mutiny Within

by CutMan USER (4 Reviews)
February 20th, 2010 | 58 replies

Review Summary: A band with immense potential who could go on to do great things with their genre mixed sound.

What would happen if a power metal vocalist kidnapped all but the singer of Killswitch Engage and forced them to compose music with him? Personally, I think the results would be something remarkably like Mutiny Within. Now, whether or not you agree with my use of Killswitch Engage doesn't matter. Pick a band of the metalcore genre of your choice and pretend I used them. The point is that Mutiny Within are combining a harder edged metallic core with a soaring melodic coating of power metal, and the results are pretty solid.

The album kicks things off with lead single "Awake", the first song I heard by them, and it's a very good introduction to both the band, the album, and their style. The song swells up out of silence, piano dancing into the atmosphere, but this all only lasts long enough to create the mood, as the song kicks into gear very suddenly and blasts us with high-tempo drumming and riffing. The song never really lets up. It's in the verses that we're introduced to the inter-playing of singing and screaming/roaring that will be a big part of why this album is pretty unique. Unlike metalcore, the singing and screaming aren't restricted to a screamed verse and a sung chorus. The verses tend to be a mixture of screaming and singing. Though it is regrettable that there is not as much variation and interplay between the two in the choruses, which are almost entirely sung. Speaking of the chorus, it's a big one, and you're going to get a lot of those out of this album.

I wont spend too much time on that one song, but it really sums up what you can expect. "Images", the second track, pretty much cements the sound, as does "Falling Forever". And it's hard not to get excited about it, it's an exciting sound, it feels like something very big, and a good deal is going on. The keyboards often provide subtle ear candy, something of an atmosphere. By "Year of Affliction", I was pretty much swept away by it all.

But something happened to me around "Undone". I realized that, even though the tracks weren't all the same, they began to blur together. I began to take less note of the tracks ending and new tracks beginning, the formula was slightly too homogeneous. I blame this mostly on the use of an epic chorus for every track, and the fact that they had opted to leave roars and screams entirely out of some of the songs. Eventually, the same soaring choruses I praised were predictable, and though the instrumentation remained unique for the genre, some of the songs lacked the harsh vocals that accentuated it's presence. This is my biggest complaint about the album, they could use more variation. Admittedly, missing the harsh vocals is a purely personal opinion, but I thought it added to their charm, their sound. It's a good sound, and kudos to them for it. They just need to be careful not to repeat themselves, or drift too far one way or another.

This is a band with immense potential, and it will be exciting to see where they go with this sound of theirs. Is it perfectly original? No, many will point out that bands like Threshold and Adagio have already thrown some roars into the mix. But they stayed more firmly power metal, and their mixture involved more traditional metal, not metalcore. Therefor, I separate their genre mixing achievements as different sounds. This stands out, even if not all the tracks stand out from each other.

Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
Newcomers to the metal genre Mutiny Within show great amounts of potential mixed with great technica...

Brosephmk2 (3)
I give this album a fair three out of five in the long run. If the band had different ideas in compa...

MarkedFortune (4)
This is my first attempt at a review, so play nice. Something new, but not so different. Roadrunn...

February 20th 2010

Good review, have not heard the whole thing yet, but the band sounds very original and pretty great from what I've heard. Will have to give it a full listen. good first review, not the best in terms of sophistication in writing style, but very descriptive and easy to follow. Good job.

February 20th 2010

Wow, I really like this. It truly is a 3.5 overall, but because of my guitar playing, I have to love the solos. The main problem are the highly cliche song structures, I agree with you completely. However, what's truly awesome is how original the sound is, a metalcore/power mix. I also think that the solo work is highly original and some of the scales used are not so common. Really like these guys.

CutMan

1926 Comments

Neutral: I know, this is one of those bands/releases that actually got me excited as I listened to it. It's really good to see a band trying something new in terms of sound. And I'm a guitar guy, too- which may have not been obvious, I think I stayed away from describing the music too specifically a bit too much in my review- but I very much admire their playing. Thanks very much. I hope to refine my writing style, do you have any specific suggestions on things I could improve upon?

February 21st 2010

More sophisticated vocabulary (people go crazy for that on this site), but you explained your reasoning well. And I'm still listening, and while I really think it's a 3.5-4, I agree with you that the song structures are way too similar, but I think by their 2nd or 3rd release there will be more variety. Anyway, great first review, and great band.

TheSpirit

lol noobs and noobs

Digging: Liturgy - H.A.Q.Q.

February 21st 2010

lol TheSpirit has a bad taste in music lol

jesusjuice1179
February 26th 2010

heard their song on the GOW ep and it sounded pretty good, gonna have to check these guys out soon

good review btw

Nifkin
March 1st 2010

Hate to break it to you but these guys are much better musicians than KSE. Some of the solos can practically go on a Dragonforce album (despite the lack of stupid pacman sounds.) I agree with a lot of what the review said but I still feel it deserves a 4/5.

CutMan
March 2nd 2010

1926 Comments

Oh, I'm not even really a fan of KSE- though I do enjoy some of their work. I just never seem to be able to get into them... But that's beside the point. I just thought it a good comparison, musically.

thecheatisnotdead
March 3rd 2010

Good review. I like the one song of theirs I've heard, but this album sounds promising.

StormTheForts
March 4th 2010

I've heard the god of war song and liked it, is this album similar to that sound or is this a death metal band as classifed.

buddhaabdi
March 15th 2010

Thank hell, someone young and upcoming AND TALENTED!

tripleb2k
March 21st 2010

like jesusjuice1179, I heard their song on the GOW EP.

I've only heard the first 5 songs and like them so far. good review and a pretty good album.

March 27th 2010

why is this labeled as death metal?

Fun album though.

April 3rd 2010

I think i'm gonna keep this at a 4 for now, I agree with the review 100 percent though, i'll pos. With the exception of "Suffocate" (can't stand it, it epitomizes cliche metal) this is a really entertaining listen, especially the first four songs.

InFiction
April 9th 2010

I just listened to the God Of War III EP and these guys caught my attention. They kind of sound like August Burns Red with the vocalist from Scar Symmetry. In any case, I quite like them.

April 9th 2010

It's a really fun listen. Only listened to the album 2 or 3 times in full but it gets stuck in my head quite often.

They remind me of Into Eternity a little, minus the excessive wanking.

IRAI
April 12th 2010

they were pretty good live.

the vocalists mic would cut out when he tried to growl, but other than that they had the crowd go from relatively not knowing/caring who they were to having everyone putting their horns in the air and cheering.

April 12th 2010

who were they supporting?

IRAI