Gucci Mane
The State vs. Radric Davis

by Bulldog USER (114 Reviews)
December 9th, 2009 | 120 replies

Review Summary: Gucci Mane at his best, rap at its finest.

After attaining much mainstream attention, garnering thousands and thousands more fans and releasing several radio singles, I bet you thought Gucci Mane was going to become one of the pop-rappers he once denounced. HAHA. Yea, right. Gucci is back with a revamped flow, and his voice sounds really good. All the while Gucci still retains the variety of epic beats and the ever-clever, cartel kingpin lyrics he’s always had.

Always the highlight of a Gucci Mane album, the production on this album is dazzlingly impeccable. La Flare pulls it off yet again, and manages to assemble astounding production into one piece of discography, as The State vs. Radric Davis is a candidate for best production on a rap album ever. The variety of beats is refreshing, ranging from the uptempo, elevated piano sample on Lemonade to the epic Nintendo battle-sounding on All About Money to the crunk track with alien synths on Heavy to the orchestra/rap instrumental on Classical (Intro) and everything in between (club tracks, R&B tracks, crunk tracks, etc.) Every beat on this album is perfectly executed and fits Gucci’s flow and vocals perfectly.

Before, Gucci was lazy and unenergetic on the mic, and slurred his words with a heavy buffalo accent all the while slowly rapping great lyrics. But, no longer. Over the last couple of months, Gucci has GREATLY improved his flow – as evidenced in Lemonade and Stupid Wild – and his voice sounds really good on this album. Previously, he rapped as if he were high on dope, now he raps as if he’s high on crack. He still possesses the ebonic speaking style a little bit, but that’s to be expected, but it’s not nearly as bad as it used to be. Gucci Mane should be commended for his efforts on revamping his flow and making his voice interesting.

To top it all, Gucci Mane is still his humorous, snowy self. He has the ability to deliver a punchline referencing pop culture all the while keeping his thug mentality – “Run up on the kid I’ll have ya mourning like Alonzo.” – and just being downright hilarious – “I like them Georgia peaches but you look more like a lemon/These sour apple bitter bitches, I ain’t f*ckin’ wit em” – Gucci Mane combines a good sense of humor with good writing and the product is the fantastic lyrics he spits. But, Gucci switches it up from time to time. On Bad Bad Bad he talks about relationships and on My Own Worst Enemy, he reflects upon his life and career as a rapper. The perfect lyrical balance of humor and seriousness that can be found in this album is a rejuvenating trait that most albums cannot claim.

Gucci Mane has truly compiled a classic album, and while this is not a pure 5/5 – it’s more like a 4.9/5 – it’s only because of an average club song (Spotlight) and a bad verse from Trina. This album belongs with other classic rap albums like Paid In Full, The Chronic, The 36 Chambers, and others. The State vs. Radric Davis is an epic album, and with it Gucci achieves rap transcendence.

Young L DOMO-KUNRaekwon Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
Lupe Fiasco LasersSaigon The Greatest Story Never Told
MF DOOM Operation: DoomsdayLil B Angels Exodus
3.3
hydeyomoney (4)
The State Vs. Radric Davis made me cum....

hydeyomoney
December 9th 2009

nice review, although i disagree with the 5, this is about a 4.4 to me.

December 9th 2009

This stuff is just dope. Still mad my hardcopy didn't come today.

kingsoby1
December 9th 2009

i dont know if i'll even listen to this.

December 9th 2009

Kingsoby1, lighten up. I have a bunch of friends that used to think I was stupid for liking Gucci. And while I still stand by his older days (even though he slurred like a southerner like no other and flowed so lazily) people are making the switch to Gucci because he's improved his flow greatly and he doesn't slur as much anymore. Just give it a try. If you think Murder Was the Case was a 2.5-3.0, you might actually like this. Because Murder Was the Case was a 2.0 in my opinion.

December 9th 2009

good review. the filler keeps the album from being a classic for me, although it deserves repeated listens.

kingsoby et al: this album really deserves your attention. gucci mane is one of the most original rappers out there, as far as i'm concerned. like i said in my Burrprint review, you can't judge him by the standards you'd judge a Nas album (and by Nas i'm really more referring to the Nas template). gucci mane is about the weird, stoned, goofy use of words and playing with them, and really just having fun.

kingsoby1
December 9th 2009

i guess i'm not in a hiphop mood this month. the back to back felt and sole reviews took their tole. been listening to a lot of metal lately.

i'll come back to this eventually.

December 9th 2009

That's good. Because this album really does deserve a listen. I'm not gonna say it's perfect, but it's pretty damn close.

December 9th 2009

It really changed the way I think about hip-hop.

qwe3
December 10th 2009

never got into gucci mane but hey its a 5 and you know hip hop so i'll check it out

somethinboutdolphins
December 10th 2009

gucci is awful. Listen to your boy bangs!

quality first post ever

Tits McGee
December 10th 2009

ugh, I really don't like gucci, but I'll give this a shot at some point

December 10th 2009

Wish, like Illmitch said, you can't judge it by the standards of an east coast album or anything like that. Gucci is a rap pioneer.

December 10th 2009

i might write a review for this myself tbh

hydeyomoney
December 10th 2009

hmmm its on illmitch! lol

GnarlyShillelagh
December 12th 2009

Review convinced me to at least listen to it, although I hate Gucci so I won't be expecting a helluvalot.

Also, serious question, and I mean no offense to anyone who might take it. Is "ebonics" derived from "ebony"?

December 12th 2009

It's a portmanteau of "ebony" and "phonics", I believe.

Casablanca
December 23rd 2009

Rating it as a 5, is putting it on the same pedestal as other classics, such as Nas' Illmatic, Biggie's Ready to Die, Raekwon's OB4CL, Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt etc. So yea...change your rating plz

and Gucci is NOT a pioneer! if anything, he completely jacked Young Jeezy's flow

I liked your review, and can see why you might have reached that conclusion. But upon listening to it myself and hearing no evidence, whatsoever, that might defend Gucci's "greatness" I can safely say that this album will be forgotten within the next 2-3 years, just like T-Pain's relevance

December 23rd 2009

Casablanca, I don't agree that this is a 5 either. But here's the thing...music taste is subjective. So it's pretty arrogant for you to demand somebody to "change [their] rating".

Anyway, what's pioneering about Gucci isn't his flow (which, btw, definitely doesn't sound like Young Jeezy at all...I don't see how you can draw comparisons between the two when Gucci is pulling off multisyllabic rhymes and Jeezy is doing the same stuff he did on The Inspiration). The thing about Gucci is his wordplay, the way he describes stuff. It's not what he talks about, but the way he talks about it.

Arpie
December 23rd 2009

well written but strongly disagree with that score.