Opiate for the Masses
The Spore

by DouglasClay USER (1 Reviews)
November 6th, 2009 | 3 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The band may have went their separate ways now, but that doesn't mean you still can't enjoy the music they put out in the past. A great band for anyone wanting to extend their musical senses.

A band I initially found by sheer accident(a D-list horror movie), Opiate for The Masses have risen up the ranks to become of one my favorite bands.

Their Tool and NIN influence is easily spotted from the intro track of the album. That gritty, insightful sound so many of us have come to love. Mix that with 14 tracks that leaving you hungry for more and you have an album any music fan could enjoy. Not a single song on the album is filler, which is an oddity for most bands nowadays. Each song on The Spore leaves its own signature in your mind. It's own vision and meaning for all to discover in their own ways.

And thats possibly why so many people can enjoy the music, for that very reason. The songs are open to interpretation, for everyone to dissect and figure out. Which is what we all want. We want songs we can listen to a hundred times and find new things, or new visions of with each listen. It's that theory that has bands like TOOL keeping their fans salivating for every new album and side-project.

This is not to say the album is flawless. You'd be hard-pressed to find many albums that are. Though the one critique for this one isn't really much to complain about, it's almost a positive. "The Spore" leaves you with a cliffhanger, the story of the album doesn't quite wrap up with the last track, "The End", that you would expect from the bands influences.

But all in all its an enjoyable album from a band that, for whatever reason, never reached the success that it was capable of.

recommended by reviewer

Dougie McDonald... Dougie Belfast... Dougie Eanes

what next?

greg84
November 7th 2009

This is seriously one of my absolute favorite industrial albums. Very cool indeed. The review is a bit short on describing the band's sound though.

Digging: Neneh Cherry - Broken Politics