The Weakerthans
Reconstruction Site

by beeeeeeees USER (1 Reviews)
September 12th, 2009 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A thoughtful album.

What makes John K. Samson so fascinating"

In the foreground, he’s always a lyricist, in a way both traditional and backwards. On a personal level, one of my favourite things about him and his very own Reconstruction Site is that he puts down unspoken thoughts - and that may not be the grandest statement on paper, but it’s really the way they’re put down that gets me thinking. Death’s inevitability is blurted through the eyes of a child in a family car’s backseat in “Reconstruction Site”, “One Great City!” has Samson singing one thing (I hate Winnipeg) but thinking the opposite, and “A Plea From A Cat Named Virtue” puts more sophistication in felines than people. Each and everything relies on Samson’s sense of place: he’s not only setting the scene, but placing characters and coupling satirical perspectives, be it a love/hate relationship with his hometown or making mankind as awkward as can-be.

His band’s music, meanwhile, is suitably romantic. Its passion is channelled through a fresh array of genres and such is how “The Reasons” is played through a punk’s amplifier but comes out a folksy dream, and the lyrics make the mood all the merrier – quite simply, “I know you might roll your eyes at this/but I’m so glad that you exist”. If you trace their album through its alt-country, folk rock, punk and all, you’ll see Samson and co. have a knack for exploration: “(Manifest)” alone is part of a three-song reprise, each with the exact same musical patterns, and yet never more estranged in tone. “(Hospital Vespers)” is sort of the song’s dark and evil clone, drenched in ambience – and “(Past-Due)” should be nothing like it is, waving goodbye to the album in the exact same way it waved hello.

Whether the album is fast or slow - a brimming rocker (“Our Retired Explorer”) or an acoustic (“One Great City”) - every piece that puts it together produces a sound rooted in a community’s tradition (one all the more interesting if, like me, you can’t quite grasp at it) and yet one intriguingly critical of its every pattern. In such, Samson makes his music fascinating in the same way as Sufjan Stevens wants to do with 50 states but does so most valiantly when at home with Michigan – writing about homeland and hometowns, whether growing up or all grown up. How the Weakerthans’ opus Reconstruction Site one-ups that formula, however, is by thinking the same thing as anyone anywhere and actually saying it.

4.3
robin EMERITUS (5)
I MUST SAY THAT IN THE RIGHT LIGHT YOU LOOK LIKE SHACKLETON [steps into the light]...

Walt (5)
If I met John K. Samson......

SeaAnemone (5)
He thought about how everyone dies someday, and when tomorrow gets here where will yesterday be, and...

Zesty Mordant (4.5)

MassiveAttack
September 13th 2009

Very good first review man, I've heard of this band, but I always seem to forget about them.

Kiran
September 13th 2009

loved the review. this and left and leaving are taking turns being my favourite weakerthans album.

MentalityOfA

A thoughtful album.

Doesn't really give me a good reason to read your review. It's strangely humorous.

Kiran
September 13th 2009

who cares about the summary, read the review

beeeeeeees
September 13th 2009

I like left and leaving too. Never given it as big a chance as this though. Thanks.

tom79
September 13th 2009

I think Samson is incapable of writing a bad song. I can't wait to see them on Tuesday.

Digging: Nap Eyes - Thought Rock Fish Scale

EasternLight
September 13th 2009

youve convinced me to get this album you sexy mynx

Knott-

so fucking good

the reasons is just incredible

SeaAnemone
September 13th 2009

I always thought I was like the only who liked this. that made me feel kinda cool but I was sooo wrong.

a5thdiad
September 13th 2009

five stars? awesome! perfect power pop.

Electric City
September 13th 2009

is your name an ac reference?

September 14th 2009

i think it's probably a reference to the insect although i heard most bees are actually pretty big animal collective fans so maybe indirectly

Electric City
September 14th 2009

theres an animal collective song called bees where they go beeeeeeeeees

Knott-

THEBEEESEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

September 14th 2009

well yeah i know but like it's probably more likely that it's something to do with bees

wait no not really idk shut up

September 14th 2009

fucking worst song on feels too btw

STOP SHOUTING!
September 14th 2009

Band 's good. Want to get this.