Judas Priest
Demolition

1.5
very poor

by Nagrarok USER (219 Reviews)
August 2nd, 2009 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Too bland, too generic, too lengthy, too unoriginal, too boring.

Priest’s first studio album with Owens was poorly received, and so was their first live album with him. Hoping to make it right with their fans, the band assembled new ideas for their new studio album, while mixing them with older ones referencing to classic Priest. Something for everyone, was the idea. Most will know it didn’t turn out too good for the band. Demolition’s reception was even worse than Jugulator’s, but would luckily (for both the band and their fans) be Priest’s last studio album with Owens.

Demolition’s Judas Priest was:
- Timothy S. Owens ~ Vocals
- Kenneth Downing Jr. ~ Lead Guitar
- Glenn Raymond Tipton ~ Lead Guitar
- Ian Frank Hill ~ Bass Guitar
- Scott Travis ~ Drums

The basis for the album lies in Jugulator-esque thrash riffs, to which are added references to classic Priest (mostly in soloing) and, believe it or not, semi-rapping and industrial beats. This sure doesn’t sound very much like something Priest would do well, and that is also not the case.

Opener Machine Man is actually quite promising, and shows that the boys do know how to do a thrash riff right. Like the rest of the album, it sounds rather angry, something Owens voice highly contributes to. Though the solo still sounds rather average, it is already far better than most heard on Jugulator. Another great moment comes in the form of Bloodsuckers, which, while being a bit of a standard thrash metal song, sounds fresh compared to the rest of the album. Owens employs his excellent falsetto here, something he does too little on the album.

I am afraid to say that was it for the good moments, which are far and far outshined by the bad. The majority of the album is bland, generic and uninspired thrash that really fails to go anywhere. Tracks such as One on One and Metal Messiah employ the mentioned semi-rapping, and that doesn’t really do them any good. The industrial beats are annoying and don’t really contribute to anything either. As a change of pace, the album also features two ballads, Close to You and Lost and Found, both of which are rather average in the way Sin After Sin’s ballads were average. In Between even has Priest sounding like Linkin Park, as illogical as it sounds.

A major problem is also the length of the album, as well as its separate tracks. Only Jekyll and Hyde is under 4 minutes, but is pretty much boring thrashing with no real content all the way through, resulting in a filler track. The other songs lengths results in material failing to keep your attention after a few minutes. On top of that, the album has 13 songs, which creates a total listening time of 70 minutes. That wouldn’t be so bad if the material was all fantastic or great, but considering the amount of filler, Priest should have cut it down a whole bit.

As a last point: the lyrics, which are still as bad as they can get. Instead of explaining, rather it would be better to let them speak for themselves. Here is an example from Cyberface:

Quote:
He lies in wait
For one mistake
Morphing on your screen

Those who dare
Or the unaware
Download him for a scream

Don't access the site
Or beware his megabyte

No virus scan
Detects the man
Or the deadly tasks he plans

Drooling lips
His circuits lit
He crouches for attack

Spider like on the web
Alive and well
But you are dead
Iniquitous in every way
Now he's come out to play

Cyberface
Iron will
Programmed to corrupt and kill
Cyberface
No escape
He is interfaced to Hell
That surely must give you an impression of Demolition’s quality. Even worse than its predecessor, Priest’s 14th studio album is flawed by genericness, unoriginal and bland song writing, length, and really bad lyrics as has been usual since the late 80’s. Even collectors will want to avoid this.

Genesis Calling All StationsGenesis We Can't Dance
Genesis Invisible TouchGenesis Genesis
Genesis AbacabGenesis Duke
2.1
poor
Mikesn EMERITUS (1.5)

Chrispaks (4)

August 2nd 2009

...And still only 4 to go.

Metalstyles
August 2nd 2009

nice review as always. You are getting very close to your mark now man, don't let up!

August 2nd 2009

I still have Live in London ahead of me as last Owens-Priest entry, which is not going to be much better than this. Angel of Retribution is pretty great, and Nostradamus has its moments.

FadeToBlack
August 2nd 2009

The other songs’ length results in material failing to keep your attention after a few minutes
The apostrophe isn't needed here, add an s onto the end of 'length', and knock the s off the end of 'results'.
Here an example from Cyberface:
Need to put 'is' between the 'here' and 'an'.

Good work man, keep going

Fixed.

OllieS
August 2nd 2009

Good review. 'Subterfuge' genuinely makes me laugh, although it does rock a bit.

shindip
August 2nd 2009

I didnt mind this album.

Xenorazr
August 2nd 2009

I agree that Machine Man and Bloodsuckers are the best tracks on the album...they're the only songs on it that I listen to (lol). As for the album itself, I don't think it deserves to be called anything more than poor (first listen I thought it was an abomination, second listen it was better but still lousy).

Aids
August 2nd 2009

When are the postive reviews of Judas Priest going to show up? For someone committed to the band enough to reivew their entire discography, you sure dish out a lot of 1s and 1.5s.

Not to say anything of the actual quality of this or any Judas Priest record. I've never listened to them...nor do I feel the need to.

Wizard

20240 Comments

Finally we can agree on a Priest rating hahaha. Excellent review too.

FadeToBlack

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIINNNNKIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!!

August 2nd 2009

It's been only one 1 so far actually, and it will stay at that. I have to be honest with the ratings. They just had this period that everything they put out was rubbish (Turbo up till end of Owens-era, with the exception of Painkiller).

Wizard

20240 Comments

This is why I like you as a reviewer/ music fan Nagrarok. You don't let your own bias's get in the way.

Douchebag
August 3rd 2009

I didn't think this was a bad album but it was definitley crap by priest standards. I can't remember what I rated it, probably a 3.5 however songs Like Machine men, Hell Is Home, Jekll and Hyde, Subterfuge and Metal Messiah are all very great song. So 5 great songs compared to 1 great (at best) song on Jugulator makes this better in my opinion. However I agree, way too long, songs needed to be shortened and some songs could be removed entirely. Again the boys still seem to of forgotten how to solo and those annoying effects are EVERWHERE!!

Pos'd great review really looking foward to AOR as it's my very favourite.

gaslightanthem
August 3rd 2009

with all that negativity i struggle to believe you think this really justifies a good album

Douchebag
August 3rd 2009

I told you I rated this ages ago... although I might stick by a good because this album has it's moments.

BigHans
November 11th 2009

This is way better than Jugulator. Not that it takes much.

ViperAces
October 1st 2012

Good review, will be avoiding this.
Even though I think Here Comes The Tears is amazing.

mandan
March 10th 2013

Sucky album.

miketunneyiscool123
August 9th 2015

I like the bass guitar mixing on this album. It's got a couple decent tunes, but it's pretty meh.