The Velvet Underground
The Velvet Underground & Nico

by Badmoon USER (65 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 41 replies

Release Date: 1967 | Tracklist

This album had been called various names. Such as genuis, poetic, strange, unique, and terrible. None the less this album and band are not about good reviews.

The Velvet Underground came along in the mid 1960's, where rock was ruled by mod bands, garage bands, and jam bands, untill a slight change in music took place. The change was forming in Northern California and New York City. The sound coming out was an odd and experimental sound. Later to be defined as "Psychedelia". This sound involved use of odd instruments, odd guitar tones, and usually, poetic lyrics. The band that defined this sound was none other than The Velvet Underground.

It was Lou Reed and John Cale that became good friends with "Pop art" artist Andy Warhol. Who was extremely popular at the time. Andy would go to see The V.U at local gigs in New York and would be highly impressed. Andy being a big star then decided that he will take them into the studio and produce a one of their albums. Andy also thought it would be smart to add the German sensation Nico to the album. The result was an amazing, sometimes overlooked album.

P.S. If you like some bands like Sonic Youth, there is a good chance that you would like this band. They are similiar in many ways. You can see how this band influenced bands like that.

1. Sunday Morning: This opening track really shows the beauty and softer side to The V.U.. It is based around some catchy Xylophone playing. The lyrics are very beautiful and peaceful. The guitar and viola mix into the song very well. 5/5

2. I'm Waiting for the Man: To go fromSunday Morning to this song is quite shocking, in a way. This song pretty heavy for The V.U., and the vocals stand out from any song on this album. The song is supposed to be about a man waiting for his drug dealer. 5/5

3. Femme Fatale: This song has Nico on vocals and kind of sounds like it should be played in an elevator. It sounds like it would go good as a theme for a 60's tv show. Not that exciting of a song. 2/5

4. Venus in Furs: A Psychedelic classic! Combining the sitar and viola gives off an unheard sound, especially back then. The lyrics sound drug indused and are very intelligently written. This song shows many emotions and feelings. The lyrics "Different colors, all made of tears" seem to add a nice touch to the song for me. The lyrics "Kiss the boot, of shiny shiny leather" and "A belt of thongs" also make the song interesting. This would be one of my favorite songs on the album. 5/5

5. Run Run Run: There is something about this song that I love, but I can't point it out. It isn't like any of the other songs on this album. The lyrics are kind of fun and interesting. The guitar playing fits in very nice, but the solo is terrible, but listening to this band gives off the idea that the loud screeches and feedback are intensional. 5/5

6. All Tomorrow's Parties: Another Nico song. The opening few seconds of this song sound similair to "The End" by the Doors. Soon after, the piano kicks in and makes the song interesting. The vocals are good, but the German accent is not appealing to me. Ok song 3/5

7. Heroin: This song is definatley one of The V.U.'s best and most amazing. It is obviously about the use of heroin. The song actually gives you a bit of a feel like you would have if you were on heroin, which would be by the pounding bass drum. The song get more intense ever second. The lyrics are genius and poetic in my opinion. The lyrics "Heroin...it's my wife, and it's my life haha" give a ver desciptive feeling to the song, especially the laugh at the end of the lyrics I just posted. By the end of the song you can barely hear Lou's voice because the screeching viola, and the screaming feedback from the amps. 5/5

8. There She goes Again: This song is unlike most V.U. songs. It is a lot more happier, yet dirty. I do really like the backing vocals. There is some offensive and kind of unkind lyrics in the song. 4/5

9. I'll be Your Mirror: Another Nico song. This is a slower song, like to dance to. The guitaring is okay. The backing vocals at the end are good. 2.5/5

10. The Black Angel's Death Song: This song has screeching viola playing through out the song. The Lyrics are extremley poetic and brilliant. The guitaring blends very well. At certain parts of this song there is this noise that sounds like a gas pipe cracked. 4/5

11. European Son: The begining of this song had a **** catchy bass line. soon after the guitar comes in and matches with the bass great. The lyrics are very odd. There are some outrageous sound affects added to this song. A very short amount of lyrics, yet great. 4/5

I give this album a 5/5 for how experimental it is.

I recomend this, greatly.

Johnny Cash American II: UnchainedBob Weir Ace
Sly and The Family Stone Stand!Peter Tosh Legalize It
Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders Live At the KeystoneNew Riders of the Purple Sage New Riders of the Purple Sage
4.4

Tomahawk
February 10th 2004

Nice review. I like the album, but I think Nico really hurts it.

The NPC
February 10th 2004

[QUOTE=Tomahawk]Nice review. I like the album, but I think Nico really hurts it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not big on Nico either, I didn't like how Worhal brought her in. Anyway, this album is a classic no matter how one precieves it. Like it or not, this group has put their mark on music. I'm a big VU fan and when I discovered VU early on in my musical exploration, I found a 'home' where I now knew that there was a musical medium for the music I wanted to create. I really recommend that you take a listen to, if you haven't already, White Light/ White Heat. That album changed everything for me.

Great Job!

BirdsOfFires
February 10th 2004

Possibly the most influentual and under-played album of all time. Absbolutely stunning. 5/5

February 11th 2004

one of the greatest albums from the 60s - to present 5/5

Luxor
February 11th 2004

This is an awesome album... "Heroin" and "I'm Waiting For The Man" are two of VU's best songs.

:thumb:

Hot Rats
March 7th 2004

This is a very under rated album, it deserves so much more recognition than it gets.

Now if only they could have ditched Nico.

manoulos
July 16th 2004

GREAT REVIEW!! SUPERB ALBUM!!
BUT what's bad with Nico? Her voice is deep as coming from the grave, adding a gloomy dimension to the songs she sang.
I love femme fatale, all tomorrow's parties and i'll be your mirror. In fact I love all the sounds in this record, from the xylohonic start to the unchained-noise end.(5/5)

July 16th 2004

^One, because she was put on there to make the album to better. And she was adding to what already was perfect, IMO.

bruise_pristine
July 16th 2004

One of my favorite albums, but I do prefer 'White Light/White Heat' over this one. It is still a classic & a must own. I love the review one of your best :thumb:

I hate it very much.

^Why?

July 16th 2004

Probably because I'm not stoned.

:rolleyes:

Dimes Make Dollars
July 18th 2004

Vietnow
July 19th 2004

[QUOTE=NachoChez]I respect this album more than I enjoy it. I find it damn near impossible to listen to. It just drags and drags, and the band sounds so lifeless. There's some great songs though; "There She Goes Again" especially.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean.. but i can listen through it, its an okay album.

clouds_are_cool
September 20th 2004

call me a **** idiot. but when i heard this album at first i was sorta turned off by VU. then i listened to loaded and fell in love with them. then i re-listened to this and fell deeper in love. ITS A TRAP

SubtleDagger
September 20th 2004

Come on, guys. Do something interesting.

September 20th 2004

Come on, guys. Do something interesting.

Like...making music completely different then the mainstream of the time.

Oh wait.

They did.

September 20th 2004

[QUOTE=SubtleDagger]VU having a song called "Heroin" is fitting. Matter of fact, that should essentially be their genre.

Come on, guys. Do something interesting.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me that I need to get a copy of the Watchmen trade paperback.

September 20th 2004

Zappa, you were better when you were black