The Who
A Quick One

good

by TheBrig USER (2 Reviews)
May 7th, 2009 | 18 replies

Release Date: 1966 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Quick One is like one of those water spraying fans you find at a flea market; it is entertaining, but when you take a close look, there's really not that much to it.

A Quick One is like one of those water spraying fans you find at a flea market; it is entertaining, but when you take a close look, there's really not that much to it. In one of The Who's early efforts, Pete Townsend, Roger Daultry, John Entwistle, and Keith Moon all give their shot at song-writing. Some end up fantastic, and others not so much. It is however, one of the most fun records they ever recorded.

The songs range from innovative to boring, and the bands ideas seem a little mixed up. In song's like Boris The Spider, The Who perform a fun creative effort. It is dark, but strangely bouncy. In fact, John Enstwistle's songs are some of the highlights of the album. In his piece Whiskey man, he brings the group to a new level of Psychedelic rock they had not previously achieved. Having trouble with "R"s, Entwistle overdubbed his vocal track saying "fliend", and "fwiend", hoping an "R" sound would be the result. It gives the vocals a very cool feel. Another interesting feel to the album comes from the instrumentation. Several tracks have some sort of brass instrument on them. Trombone, Tuba, and of course John Entwisltes French Horn, are all featured somewhere. When reading into it, John Entwistles contributions to the album had a much more positive affect than say... Keith Moon's.

Don't get me wrong, "Moon the Loon" is one of my favorite drummers. Drummers, not song-writers. His contributions of I Need You and Cobwebs and Strange are among the records worst tracks.I Need You is predictable, and the latter song is really just a mess of noise recorded for 2 and 1/2 minutes. It does keep the album from getting repetitive, but it also keeps it from being great. Roger's effort of See My Way is not much better, but it does feature a pretty decent chorus.

Pete's songwriting, as always, is really the highlight here. The album's two closing tracks are the strongest. So Sad About Us is one of the catchiest tracks save Happy Jack, and the title track is among one of The Who's all-time best. It is their first attempt at a "rock-opera", and the 9 minute epic of infidelity is pure entertainment from beginning to end. Each sequence is specifically written for the emotion that is trying to be portrayed. Pete shows for the first time that he is capable of more than just a single, and it is definitely our first preview of Tommy to come. My personal favorite part of the album comes when the band chants "Cello, Cello, Cello, Cello" at the end of the song. the story goes that the band wanted an actual Cello recorded there, but could not afford one. Instead, they did the part vocally, and it may have been the right way to go.

Overall, the album has extremely high and low points. A Quick One gave us two important things to remember, 1) The band has limitless potential when it comes to "rock-opera's", and 2) Pete Townsend and John Entwistle should be the only people allowed to write songs. In it's up's, the album is thought-out, and inventive. In it's down's it is to simplistic, and often times amateur, to be taken seriously. The Who's most inconsistent effort, but the album is worth a listen, and maybe even a buy.

Brendan Schroer (3.5)
More like a goddamn weird one....

shindip
July 30th 2009

BORIS THE SPIDER!!!

HenchmanOfSanta
July 13th 2010

1994 Comments

One comment and 256 views? That sucks, because this is mostly a good review.

"Daultry" is actually spelled "Daltrey." And you have some grammatical errors ("it's up's" shouldn't have apostrophes, for example). Otherwise good job.

NightProwler
January 12th 2011

I have unfortunately not heard this album yet - I just can't seem to find it in any music store (I'm from Denmark, so there's not a lot of options/places to find records like these), although I truly do enjoy some of the tracks I've heard (like on Live at Leeds, etc.)

Nice review, btw

Ire
October 27th 2012

41948 Comments

solid album ye

June 15th 2013

nobody has eeeeever seen him

October 17th 2013

underrated album

October 17th 2013

hard dude

January 4th 2014

heat wave!

January 4th 2014

the who sell out is more psych and better in every way check it dude

February 25th 2014

falalalalala

September 13th 2014

please talk to me agaaaaaaain

i need u

Hovse

kill dominating the thread :]

no1 else digs it dude gota jam on my jack jones

Hovse

only who out of first 6 didnt jam yet,will check

December 16th 2014

I need you kicks ass. I left KILL hanging cause my life got busy. Blind me Charlie

December 16th 2014

Who psychedelic stuff is so sublime

July 11th 2015

cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello

July 15th 2015