">

October Rust

by USER (1 Reviews)
July 31st, 2005 | 24 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

The Line up of Type O Negative at this time (they are still the same line up as of now) is:

Peter Steele:
Bass/Vocals
Keny Hickey:
Guitars/Backing Vocals
Josh Silver:
Keyboards/Backing Vocals
Johnny Kelly:
Drums

Bad Ground/Band Introduction-the album starts out with a droning electronic noise that carries on for about 30 seconds or so then it cuts to the band all laughing and thanking everyone for picking up their newest release.

Love You To Death-one out of the three singles off this album, "Love You To Death" is one of the most poetic love songs that Type O has ever written. With its beautiful piano/violin intro to Peter's distorted bass lines and passionate vocals, this is one of the stand outs of this album.

Be My Druidess-As the keys of "Death" fades out, the distorted bass of Peter Steele kicks in with a catchy bass line. The whole song itself is a very gothic style and the almost "rapping" style Peter has is fantastic.

Green Man-Not to sure where this song came from, but that doesn't mean it's a bad song. But IMO this song just seems a bit different from the rest of Type O Negative's songs, but it is definitely worth listening to.

Christmas Mourning (Red Water)-The first "depressing" song off this album. It starts off with an eerie piano line then Kenny's infamous guitar scratches that leads into a very dark and depressing song about losing your loved ones. This song was actually written about Peter's father who I believe passed away on Christmas morning (hence the name). Peter has also said he will never play this song live due to the subject matter.

My Girlfriend's Girlfriend-The second single off this album, "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" definitely has that poppy,radio-freindly feel to it, just with a total gothic root stuck right in the center. Peter definitely shows his more "deeper" sounding voice on this song.

Die With Me-This song is a pretty melancholy song but the music doesn't seem to sound too depressing. It's more of a feel you get when you know the *** was gonna hit the fan and you're just accepting the facts. In the song Peter is trying to convince his (I guess girlfriend?) not to get on the plane and leave him behind in search for her dreams. An excellant song.

Burnt Flowers Fallen-I have always heard that the intro of this song is compared to Pink Floyd but I could never find the similarities. Anyway, this song is has only one verse and one chorus. The verse being, "Yeah I think/know she's falling out of love." And then chorus being, "All of the flowers, all of the flowers I gave her. She burned them. Burned them." Though the song is repetitive, it is still one of my favorites off the album.

In Praise Of Bacchus-I've read information on websites saying that this song was a single off the album but I'm not too sure. This song is definitely one of the most gothic songs you'll hear off this album or any other album from Type O. In a way it reminds me a lot like their song "Nettie" which came out 7 years later on "Life Is Killing Me."

Cinnamon Girl-The last single off this album and actually it is a Neil Young Cover. They did such an excellant job at making this song their own, that I'm sure most people didn't even realize that it was a cover.

Liberation...-The only "joke song" off this album. It's actually more of an instrumental than it is of a joke song. Nothing real too special about it, though.

Wolf Moon-Definitely one of the best songs off this album. This song never seems to bore me every time I'm listening to it. Some people have taken this song for a horror story but in reality it's about eating a girl out while she is menstrating and this causing the man to turn into a wolf. A bit odd, but, hey, this is coming from Peter Steele.

Haunted-This song starts off with an eerie piano melody and once again the scratching brings the whole band together for 10 mintes of complete sadness (well atleast IMO). Half way through the song Peter has a spoken passage (also like in Bloody Kisses) and then the song kicks back into the slow, depressing sound of Type O Negative.

Peter's Thank You-Peter thanks everyone for listening to the album and how he hopes to see them on tour.

The whole album itself has a very Autmn feel to it and it makes you feel as if you were taking a trip through the woods and watching the leaves fall down. I hope this was helpful for anyone who reads this review.

4.2
BigHans (5)
A haunting, melodic, somber, gorgeous opus from a group that severely overachieved on this album....

Killtacular
July 31st 2005

I've been meaning to get into Type O Negative for a while, but this review doesn't really convince me. You need more detail all the way 'round.

Also, the reviewer doesn't show up.

Rusted Soul
September 10th 2005

This was a very well written review. to bad the reviewer is not shown. he/she did a very good job at explaing the feel for the individual songs as well as the whole album. Good Job.

omgwtfboogie
November 24th 2005

My personal favorite Type O album.

Nothing before or since has matched the beauty of this album.

Neoteric
November 24th 2005

Also, the reviewer doesn't show up.

Maybe the user was deleted?

Thinkerman
May 13th 2006

I loved this album. Why don't more ppl rate it?

ElitistPig
August 15th 2006

I really like these guys. How would someone classify them?

FortKnoxSucks
August 15th 2006

I don't like this band. Good review.

Thinkerman
November 28th 2006

Goth grunge

Inflames
November 30th 2006

sounds about right

rmgebhardt
February 15th 2007

This is easily Type O's best album. Just recently started listening to it again because I felt depressed and this is the soundtrack to depression, if you ask me.

February 18th 2007

After one listen, this really intrigues me. Hard to define the sound, really.

I'll keep listening though, as I quite like it so far.

October 15th 2007

Sorry about the elongated double post, but this album is officially terrific.

Needs a better review, however.

goneshootin22
December 1st 2007

Decent review, amazing album. My friend lended me this once and I was blown away by Love you to Death and my Girlfriends Girlfriend. Such ceative music.

hybridstigmata
June 22nd 2008

This is my favorite cd of all time.

Chikilicuatre
January 20th 2009

TON's masterpiece, and my all time fav, too.

I never get tired of listening to it. This is the only CD that's been inside my car's sound system since I bought it, that's 4 years ago now. It relaxes me in the middle of the traffic jams... :D

February 26th 2009

i was listening to this yesterday and couldn't believe how low i have it rated just now

*bumps to 4/5

moonbreed
December 5th 2009

My favorite Ton album.It is as much sophisticated Peter and co can get.

February 8th 2010

this album is rly good but i find bloody kisses better

XulOnerom

123 seconded

February 8th 2010

you must review it xulonerom!