Navicon Torture Technologies
The Gospels Of The Gash

by Meatplow USER (111 Reviews)
April 4th, 2009 | 9 replies

Review Summary: An excellent industrial noise album, and a fitting retirement for Navicon Torture Technologies in 2009.

The Gospels of The Gash is the final 2009 release from Navicon Torture Technologies, the main project of power electronics/industrial/noise artist Leech (otherwise known as Lee Bartow). The album is described as so on his official website -

Quote:
The final and definitive double CD release from NTT, The Gospels of the Gash chronicles one man's journey into a world devoid of light or hope. This is a place where the air is alive with the stink of pain and the beating of great black wings. The two discs compile material from a slew of limited releases from 2005-2007, as well as newer tracks recorded specifically for this release. As a result, Gospels of the Gash is unquestionably the most complete NTT recording to date and nothing short of a monumental achievement...a culmination of the best aspects of past releases combined into an epic odyssey of apocalyptic atmospheres, brutish frequencies, harrowing darkness, and razor sharp vocals.
The album is divided into two "books", Book I is labeled The Bridge of Ordeals and Book II is labeled The Space Between Death and Resurrection. As something of a loose concept album, there is a lot of music here to digest with a total of ten tracks each covering each "book", averaging at about eight minutes in length.

The overall feel of this album is that of an abstract nightmare. Most tracks are built around some kind of perpetually skipping noise frequency, building dynamics through repetition with layers of droning, swirling, piercing sounds which weave their way around masterfully. The affected vocals of Leech add their own disturbing imprint on these hissing, spitting soundscapes, whilst ambient noises and occasional samples of instrumentation provide a richness to the arrangements. The consistency of the quality of output on The Gospels of The Gash is remarkable, considering how dull a noise album can be when it doesn't work and that there are 20 lengthy tracks to deal with it holds up exceptionally well. If there is anything to flaw, perhaps the cliche, evil, satanic sounding, deep voiced monologue which finds its way into some sections could come off as rather cheesy. Despite that, the music is a raging, furious, angst ridden hellpit of abrasive frequencies you couldn't begin to climb to the top to see the light out of.

With a little bit of patience, NTT's final release is one that will reward you with satisfyingly dense, complex arrangements rich in sonic intensity. To quote the official website, The Gospels of The Gash is a fitting funerary rite for the project.

Moevot AbgzvoryathreKate Bush Hounds of Love
Zoviet France Just an IllusionSPK Machine Age Voodoo
7 From Life Sting of The Honey SpiderCromagnon Orgasm

April 4th 2009

I can't do the industrial noise thing. I've tired and it just doesn't work for me.

April 4th 2009

I've broken into it somewhat, it probably won't matter much but which artists did you listen to? I really like Brighter Death Now at the moment.

April 4th 2009

I don't know, actually. A friend of mine had a compilation disc, probably from Cleopatra records.

April 4th 2009

Interesting. If you were ever persuaded to try it again i'd check out Brighter Death Now - Obsessis, Sutcliffe J├╝gend - Death Mask, and Neutoter Der Plage - Let Your Flesh Writhe, For It Is Your Time.

April 4th 2009

I'll give this genre another shot this weekend.

Zippermouth

What an uplifting name.

rasputin
April 4th 2009

I'm sort of in the same boat as Willie, what I've heard from this genre hasn't interested me. I grabbed that album you put up on the weekly upload, it was called Neuntoter or something, didn't really like it.
Good review, though.

bastard
April 4th 2009

this doesn't sound like my type of music at all, but great review.

MEATPLOW FOR STAFF

April 4th 2009

I usually find I can only exclusively listen to noise through a decent pair of headphones, otherwise any subtle details gets lost as everything gels into a complete mess. Even then, i'm sure it wouldn't be to most peoples tastes but idk, personally, I really get hooked to this idea of using noise frequencies which most artists try to remove in their entirety from recordings as the focus itself. It depends how much you can tolerate dissonance.

this doesn't sound like my type of music at all, but great review.

MEATPLOW FOR STAFF

Thanks, I would probably have to write more often if I really had a chance lol