Review Summary: The Makings of a great album cut short by some repetition, but doesnt damper the album much overall
Killswitch was the first ever Metal Band I got in too. This basically set the path to what I would be listening to now, which is basically all metalcore which I'm not ashamed to say.
Though I prefer this album to predecessors, my favourite KSE song is the title track "The End of Heartache". If only that song were on here I would have given this album a 4.5 for that song alone, just kidding....kind of.
1) Daylight Dies- Starts off with some heavy bass with a slow intro. The drums start to kick into gear and Howard speaks cryptically of the human race, which soon breaks into an intense chugging riff as he screams "This Place Is Evil!" The Chorus is sung cleanly which is very Killswitch-esque. Overall the heaviest song on the album and one of the great ones....4.5/5
2) This Is Absolution- Some of the Fastest Drumming on the album in here, but still not much to hold my attention here. The Chorus once again Cleanly sung, but Adam.D's singing is very good here. Not one of the best here....2.5/5
3) The Arms Of Sorrow- The Only Song on the CD with all clean vocals, and one of the top tracks on the album. Starts off with a small melody and soon bursts into Howard singing "Imprisoned, Inside this Mind, Hiding behind the Empty Smiles" with rhythmic drums and guitars in the background. Soon a Riff that’s one of the top of the album for me comes in right before the chorus which brings the song up another notch, and the chorus itself makes the song. After the second chorus there is more melodic guitar with vocals being the centre of attention as Howard sings his heart out. Magnificent....5/5
4) Unbroken- Starts with a Bang as we here a low pitched scream and chugging guitars begin. The verses are ordinary but the Chorus is almost epic-like as he sings " Through Adversity, there is redemption, with passion, fighting, I am Unbroken!" I would only recommend this song for the Chorus's....3/5
5) My Curse- Once again starts with harmonized guitars and soon after breaks into a nice galloping riff, almost reminiscent of metallica. The main line of the song is very catchy as Adam D shrieks "THIS..IS..MY..CURSE!" multiple times and Howard breaks into emotional singing "There is love, burning to find you, will you wait for me?!" A Breakdown after the 2nd chorus and a fade away ending. Not bad.....4/5
6) For You- One of the tracks that barely get any play time from me. The chorus isn’t terrible but it has a Deja Vu feeling to it. "The line is drawn, I Pledge my devotion" are part of the lyrics. Some catchy riffs Riffs and some rare double pedal which make it passable....2.5/5
7) Still Beats Your Name- starts out with a insanely fast drums beat then breaks into a chug verse of screaming, blast drumming and guitar shredding. Clean Passages seem to come out of nowhere which is a pleasant surprise and Howard’s voice is a joy to hear. I swear if they ever lost him Killswitch would be screwed.....3.5/5
8) Eye of the Storm- Starts out with yet more guitar shredding. But this time the Riffs are excellent in place of good. The Guitars actually know when to slow down or just stop playing here. The Break down consists of one of the few times you can here the bass playing and its very solid. Then Soon after it breaks into an awesome riff which you can nicely head bang too. Back to the chorus once again, then it drags us back to the same awesome riff, but slightly slowed down which makes it sound fresh. It dies off and you feel like you were treated to something great...4/5
9) Break the Silence- Starts off with a somewhat complicated riff, then breaks into a less complicated, but no worse, chugging verse. Soon it becomes the Chorus which is, of course, sung cleanly, but its one of the better chorus's here. After the second chorus it dies off and we get treated to a nice melodic guitar sequence. Guitars and drums come back a-blazing, and we get the best breakdown of the album and Howard sings "With all I Am!" Song dies out with "Break the Silence, We are Alive!" Great song....5/5
10) Desperate Times- One of the more slow and Plodding songs. A complete Riff fest here and its to slow to really get into. The Lyrics seem to talk about Jesus Christ in a way." Though I Feel Forgotten, You've carved my Name in Stone, In These Desperate Times, This I Plead. When All Else Fails, Remember Me." A pretty catchy breakdown after the second chorus but it does not save the song for me....2/5
11) Reject Yourself- Starts with a very technical Riff which right off the bat is my favourite from the album., The Verse is standard but still not terrible, but the Chorus and lead to chorus is very good as he sings "Tear down the veil, that bars your heart, from feeling this, dedicate yourself, give yourself to, compassion. With open arms, embrace this heart, with open eyes, behold the truth, embrace this..life!" The catchiest chorus and simply reading the lyrics doesn’t do it justice. After the 2nd chorus it dies off to very melodic guitar and very soon after goes into the Fastest drumming of the album as Justin Blasts those drums like never before. Ends with a Fade away melody and a fitting end to a great song and album.
-Arms of Sorrow
-Break The Silence
There You Have it, my 2nd Review in the bag. I have no idea if I got worse or better, so let me know and it would be greatly appreciated