Edguy
Tinnitus Sanctus

by BludgeonySteve USER (17 Reviews)
November 16th, 2008 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Art? Entertainment? Religion? Edguy!

Music comes in many forms. You have your serious artists with stern expressions on their faces, daring the listener to comprehend the genius that is their musical catharsis. Then you have your mindless idiot noise that makes a movie with Ben Stiller look like a Mensa meeting. And then you have bands like Edguy who balance effortlessly right in the middle of the high wire, and do ***ing back-flips while they’re at it. Tinnitus Sanctus is modern hard rock/heavy metal at its finest. It picks up where their previous album Rocket Ride leaves off but greatly improves upon it. It is simultaneously an honest artistic expression and nonstop rock and roll party. Stamp collectors, religious folk, and accountants, the exit is at the top right of this screen, you have exactly one space between this paragraph and the next to get out.

On Tinnitus Sanctus you will hear the old over-the-top Edguy that have risen to international fame, but tastefully confined and limited and within a completely new sound. Of course there are the blazing, screaming, unrestrained power metal moments that we expect, but they are few and far between; there is a very noticeable hard rock element to the music. The songs are generally slower than on previous Edguy albums with less constant double bass drumming; there is much more room for the listener to breathe. The music is complex and less predictable than the straightforward vocally driven power metal of a less mature Edguy. Songs like Ministry of Saints, Nine Lives and Sex Fire Religion are dark and powerful with chugging riffs and glorious choruses, nothing ground-breakingly new here but they are well written and hint at the innovation to come. Aren’t You A Little Pervert Too is a hilarious country-flavored jest at the expense of masochistic American hillbillies; I hope Tobias Sammet knows just who he’s messing with. Dead or Rock is the obligatory 80s hard rock anthem and although it won’t melt your face as much as Lavatory Love Machine or F'ing With Fire, it leaves the new AC/DC album crushed and smoldering in a ditch.

Edguy appease fans of their earlier material with songs like Speedhoven, Wake Up Dreaming Black and The Pride of Creation. But these aren’t true power metal songs. They are a unique mix of metal and rock with a more creative and dynamic structure that is completely unique. Songs like Dragonfly and 929 are the result of a band that has been around for a long time, and while they still use the mannerisms of the hard rock and heavy metal genres, they do it in a completely original way. The lyrics, as always are well written and range from dark (Ministry of Saints) to meaningful and uplifting (929) to funny (Aren’t You A Little Pervert Too). Thorn Without A Rose is the power ballad on the album and is beautiful and shows the heartfelt, sensitive side of the band; it wouldn’t sound out of place at a Def Leppard concert, take that however you wish. I’ll take it with one fist in the air and one clenching a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Tinnitus Sanctus has something to suit every mood, every temperament, and every open-minded music fan. It lacks the overdone power metal clichés of Mandrake and Hellfire Club but does so without compromising quality. Art" Entertainment" Religion" Edguy.

Favorite songs:

Black Majesty In Your HonorFalconer Grime vs Granduer
3.2
good
Zippermouth (4)
It's ridiculous, rude, crazy, and probably some of the best power metal out there....

Altmer (2.5)
The good is really good. The bad is really bad. The mediocre is really mediocre....

Nosferatwo (3.5)
Edguy continues to grow, leaving pure power metal in the past....

Hawks
November 16th 2008

Pretty good review, but what I've heard from this band really blows.

Digging: Cara Neir - Part III / Part IV

November 16th 2008

Edguy is good. Nice review, will acquire this.

Digging: ABBA - Voulez-Vous

BludgeonySteve
November 16th 2008

I want to see some reviews of this from people who didn't like their other work.This Message Edited On 11.16.08

handoman
November 16th 2008

sweet, didn't know about this. I actually like edguy, so i'll be getting this.

combustion07
November 16th 2008

I've only heard Hellfire Club and it was badass, I'll have to check this one out.

Shattered_Future
November 16th 2008

Album is not this good. There's nothing TECHNICALLY wrong with the songs, but they're really not as memorable as the rest of Edguy's discography. 9-2-9 is good, the chorus of Dragonfly that rips off Dream Evil's Chosen Twice is great, and Dead or Rock almost makes the whole album worth it, and The Ministry Of Saints is pretty decent, but everything else is just kinda...stagnant. It doesn't catch my ear.

BludgeonySteve
November 17th 2008

Edguy is only gay if you're digging Death Magnetic.

It's been so long since we've had good 80s style hard rock with great vocals. And When Edguy do it with a modern metal twist that doesn't sound like anybody else, I give them the props.This Message Edited On 11.16.08

rasputin

edguy is pretty lame

Altmer
November 17th 2008

Oh, when I have listened to this enough I will give this a review.

Zippermouth
November 18th 2008

Ya know what, YOUR PRETTY LAME RASPUTIN!

Edguy is awesome, Out of Control is possibly my favorite song of all time.

leppardized
November 20th 2008

Well I am a huge fan of the band, and I think this album is totally amazing. I've had it since Thursday of last week and have been listening to it none stop. Personally I think if your giving bad reviews then you are not a fan or you haven't even listened to it yet!!! Give it a good listen and pay close to attention to the lyrics.....this is Edguy!!!

rasputin
November 20th 2008

Ya know what, YOUR PRETTY LAME RASPUTIN!

Not as lame as not knowing the difference between your and you're. Yeah, so Edguy are pretty lame. And shit.

Altmer
November 20th 2008

i have listened to it, i like the band, and i don't like this album

where does your logic go wrong

Zippermouth