Intuition
Stories About Nothing

by amerikraut USER (3 Reviews)
July 22nd, 2008 | 3 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A true classic in every sense of the word, in that the album will appeal to fans of any genre. The immaculate sample selection and disgustingly impressive verbiage make for an enjoyable album with few to no flaws.

Every once in a while, I get ahold of an album that proceeds to shatter any pre-concieved notions I've had regarding what a particular genre should be. To be completely honest, I don't know dog*** about the history of hip hop, beyond what I've seen on VH1. I can't name any Tupac or Biggie songs, and I've even bought into the naive concept of Lil Wanye being the "best rapper alive." I grew up on Dylan (Bob) and Young (Neil) so perhaps some might say I'm out of my element; that I lack the frame of reference to throw words like "classic" around at any hip hop album. And frankly, maybe they're right.

But before I get into the actual rapping, I'd like to make a point about something. As a casual rap/hip hop fan, (i stress casual) it is important that the samples are enjoyable for me to like the song. If I can't get into the beat, chances are I wont give a *** about what the artist has to say before he even says it. So upon first listen, I went into this album a bit skeptical, not really expecting anything i hadn't heard before. The first track, "story to tell" immedietly grabbed my attention. A snap driven, jazzy little number, I was amazed at the audacity of the sample. Was that real guitar, bass, and he's not using a drum kit" Were those bongos" Surely not; not since People Under the Stairs, had i heard something so real and engaging. And from there, the album never lets up.

Tracks 2 & 3 are where Intuition starts to show the depth of his craft He truly is something of a word-smith; creating intricate and sympathetic characters in each of his songs. And I found myself actually caring about the characters because they often defined undesirable traits in people I knew, or even myself. The lyrical delivery is what really sets Intuition apart from the pack. There were only a few lines on the entire album that I found rythmically awkward in comparison to the flawless execution of it all. Flawless to the point I started to cling to each line, giving my undivided attention to what would be said next. But not in the way I do with alot of mainstream rap artists (you know...wonder what retarded *** is gonna come out of his mouth on each new track...i.e. lil wayne)

He touches on alot of issues, (a purpose driven life, a directionless life, a stuck in a rut with 4 kids life, etc.) without becoming too preachy on any of them. He says just enough to make you think. It really is pointless for me to go in depth for each track, because there is no bad track. What really pushes this album into "classic" status for me, on top of the proficient verbiage, and sample selection, is that each song stands on its own as an outstanding piece. Every individual track composes a different story, but each is equally engaging. If you listen to this album and dont find one track with lyrics you can relate to, you my friend, are a cold hearted piece of shit. I could honestly enjoy each and every sample on this album without the lyrics...of course not to the same extent. But I guess i should credit alot of that to Equalibrium.

www.myspace.com/intuition

Shoot Them
July 23rd 2008

This is a detailed review, however you need to do some simple things:

First grammar: Most/All of the time, you didn't even capitalize the letter "i". I or maybe some other user can help you with editing, but mostly that is the problem with this review.

Most would have a problem with the length of the review, but it really doesn't matter to me, as long as you get the important details in the review.

amerikraut
July 23rd 2008

Did i use the word "I" too much...im a bit drunk see.

SHOOTME
July 23rd 2008

Spell checker should help you...