My Disco
Paradise

by br3ad_man EMERITUS
July 7th, 2008 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: My Disco fully realise their minimalist ideas on their second full length.

For My Disco fans, Cancer was ultimately a pretty polarising release. With heavily repetitious passages, a sparse presence of vocals and ultimately an entirely different approach to songwriting, Cancer marked the band's foray into the world of minimalism. While Cancer inevitably lost My Disco some fans and gained them quite a few new ones, next Paradise it feels tame and almost obsolete. Certainly on its release, Cancer felt like a pretty developed effort from a band deciding to adopt a new approach to their music, but Paradise feels like the fully realised presence of that vision.

My Disco only had about 18 months between Cancer and Paradise but its quite clear that they made good use of that time. The now standard My Disco formula of simple but dancey drums, simple, throbbing basslines and guitar used to add colour through dissonant squeals and strange rhythms is still very much intact. The music is, however, even more minimalist than that of Cancer and in particular sees guitarist Ben Andrews coming up with some extremely interesting and unique tones. "You Came to Me Like a Cancer Lain Dormant Until it Blossomed Like a Rose" makes use of some of the most unique feedback in existence which sounds just as much like a didgeridoo as it does a squealing guitar. Drummer Rohan Rebeiro plays some of his most angular and danceable beats to date while Liam Andrews continues in his dry, almost spoken approach to vocals and manages to make his basslines significantly more minimalist than on Cancer.

Paradise was recorded with Steve Albini and his influence is very heavily felt to the extent that My Disco are now using metal necks in their guitars (Albini uses aluminium Travis Bean guitars in his band Shellac). The production is very stripped down with few overdubs and the amount of space between instruments is quite incredible. But what's most impressive about Paradise is how much My Disco seem to have matured in their songwriting, harnessing their minimalist leanings in a way that Cancer only dreamed of. "An Even Sun" is the album's 9-minute centrepiece and perhaps the best example. Consisting of a one-note bassline for its entirety and a single vocal line, the guitar of "An Even Sun" manages to colour the sound in such a way that the song remains fascinating for its entirety and it's not until about 7 minutes in (after mountains of feedback and dissonant riffing) that Andrews plays a riff that finally reveals the song's tonal centre.

"An Even Sun" isn't the only stand-out though; long-time live favourite "A Christ Pendant Comfort Her Neck" features some of the most interesting instrumental interplay on the record underneath the coolest vocals of the band's career. "Pair & Pear" is probably the catchiest song on the album and is improved from the live version that the band were kicking around last year with the addition of vocals. "German For Attention" is easily the most technically stunning track on the record, not to mention the most sonically dense and abrasive.

Paradise does one sound and it does it to absolute perfection; tight, dissonant minimalist rock almost devoid of warmth or emotion. With this much of an improvement and a deeper realisation of their minimalist ideas, it's hard to tell where My Disco will go with their next record but if at this point they've proved anything, it's that they're full of surprises.

White Suns Waking in the ReservoirPurplene Purplene
Quiet Steps Think AloudGrinderman Grinderman 2
Jakob DominionNorma Jean Meridional
xNintendoCorex (4.5)
Biting noisy guitars, repeated phrases of rhythmic rigidity, raspy sporadic vocals and a penchant fo...

br3ad_man
July 7th 2008

Pretty hard to think of similar albums.

pixiesfanyo
July 8th 2008

so much better than Cancer. but really not anywhere near as cool as the eps.

iarescientists

been meaning to check My Disco out for a while

guess i'll check this out

slep
July 8th 2008

Really great review dude. I have their split with Off Minor on vinyl, and their side is damn awesome. I'm going to track this down asap.

br3ad_man
July 8th 2008

Be warned, it's pretty different from that song. Still cool though.

so much better than Cancer. but really not anywhere near as cool as the eps.

I normally hate it when people say things like this, but it's almost as if they're different bands. They never play anything pre-Cancer live. I like the EPs better as well, but most people around here seem to prefer the newer stuff.

sgrevs
July 8th 2008

This album is the only My Disco I have heard, but it's pretty good. I'd definitely like to see them live.

Fort23
July 8th 2008

really good review, i've only heard these guys on their split with of minor.

joshuatree
July 8th 2008

never heard of this band, sound awesome though

StreetlightRock
July 8th 2008

Yay! A My Disco review! Really cool album.

ilikemusicthatsucks
July 8th 2008

Need to check these guys out, my friend has been raving about these guys to me for a while now.This Message Edited On 07.08.08

AtavanHalen
July 9th 2008

Wow, people outside Australia know these guys??

xNintendoCorex
October 25th 2008

this is killer especially 'an even sun'

The Jungler
December 15th 2008

have been getting into this band a lot recently. might set them up with a show in Connecticut, but i don't know yet.

this album is great. it just snuck onto my top albums list. i would like to get some of their earlier stuff too. the song on the Off Minor split is great. This Message Edited On 12.15.08

xNintendoCorex
February 2nd 2009

this just keeps getting better and better with every listen. time to raise my rating

rasputin
February 18th 2009

Listening to this for the first time, not sure if I like it. Will have to give it a few more listens.

windpromoteshate
February 23rd 2009

The tightest band I have ever seen live. Fucking genius.

pixiesfanyo
March 16th 2009

saw these guys tonight. fucking great.