12 Stones
12 Stones

by tripleb2k USER (2 Reviews)
June 4th, 2008 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: For a major label release by a group of guys that were under 21, it was an impressive debut. Eric was a great guitar player at the time and his ability has grown since than. Paul has gone on to win a Grammy for his performance on the song Bring Me To Life

12 Stones is:
Paul McCoy - Vocals
Eric Weaver - Guitar
Kevin Dorr - Bass
Aaron Gainer - Drums

12 Stones saw commercial success with this album. Broken, Home, Running Out of Pain and Back Up were all used by the WWE for pay-per-views or their desire videos (videos focused on certain wrestlers). A close relationship between WWE and Wind-Up records helped push 12 Stones. My Life was also featured on the soundtrack for The Scorpion King.

12 Stones are religious and their name reflects that. The meaning behind their name is that of the 12 disciples who followed Jesus along with the 12 stones the Israelites raised when they crossed the Jordan River. Though their songs are not all about their relationship with God, there is a Christian undertone to the songs.

1. Crash 4/5
The highlight of the song is Eric's great solo.

2. Broken 5/5
The first single off the album. The song is deceiving by the beginning. Paul begins the song by screaming "Bring It" leaving listens to believe the song would be filled with screaming and loud guitars. The majority of the song is absent of screaming till the very end with Paul repeating "Broken". Regardless of that, the song shows Paul's vocal talent along with Eric's guitar skills.

3. The Way I Feel 3.5/5
The second single off their album. Considered by some to be one of the slower songs on the album, the songs follows the same formula as the previous two. A slow beginning with a heavy ending.

4. Open Your Eyes 4/5
One of the heavy songs on the album. On a personal note, I'm not a fan of the ending. Whenever songs fade out, it feels incomplete. Almost as if they did not know how to end it. That's a personal thing that shouldn't impact other peoples opinion of an overall good song.

5. Home 5/5
The stand out song on the album. It best depicts Paul's ability to sing and scream at once. "I hide in darkness blind to sense, Chasing a dream with false pretense, Help me find the fracture in this dark sky" - my favorite lyrics on the album.

6. Fade Away 3/5
One of the weaker songs on the album. Not to say it isn't good or consider it filler, compared to some of the other songs, it doesn't stand up with the rest of them.

7. Back Up 3.5/5
The heaviest song on the album. The band performs well here together but there is something missing. I've listened to this song dozens of times but I can never put my finger on it.

8. Soulfire 4/5
Another heavy song by the band showcasing their ability to rock. Paul delivers a rap reflecting on his relationship with God. One could argue it's about a person in his life that's been good to him but to me, it reflects something else.

9. In My Head 3/5
Much like Fade Away, the song is slow that doesn't go anywhere. Could have been a good song but without a guitar solo, it feels unfinished.

10. Running Out of Pain 4/5
I wouldn't say this is a slow song but compared to the rest of the album, this is the slowest one. It reflects the struggle of trying to help someone that will not take the offer. It's the type of song you could imagine becoming a pop hit but with the electric guitars, it keeps it in the grunge sound that will never allow for a crossover hit.

11. My Life 4/5
Another good song that contains good solo. The solo is short but delivers.

12. Eric's Song 4.5/5
The song takes a different approach than the rest. It's the stand out track that shows Eric's great guitar ability. The song has a southern rock feel that reflects their roots (being born and raised in New Orleans). One of my favourite songs of the album.

3.2
good
ReturnToRock (2)
Bland, by-the-books radio-rock that neither offends nor particularly excites....

June 4th 2008

This is the first time writing a CD review. Any feedback positive or negative would be appreciated. Regardless, hope you found it helpful.

Thank you.This Message Edited On 06.04.08

Poet
June 4th 2008

Decent for a first review. The only song I've heard from 12 Stones is Adrenaline because it was the 2007 World's Strongest Man theme on ESPN.

DaveyBoy
June 4th 2008

Not bad for a first up track by track review with decent descriptions of each track. I was also a convert on this band from WWE & was very impressed with this album as a whole. The first 2 singles are the highlights to me and it may even have been 'The Way I Feel' which clinched me into becoming a fan.

ninjuice
June 4th 2008

If you're gonna to TBTs (something a serious reviewer should move away from), then it would nicer to have a bit more detail about the songs. Decent enough for a first however.

SHOOTME
June 4th 2008

Decent review for a first, but try to stray from a TBT review. That is all I have to say.

Rock N Roll Superstar.

June 5th 2008

Thank you all for the feedback, it's much appreciated!

Cheers

jason_f90
June 5th 2008

I thought this album was hideously generic. The solos were cool but didn't really add much to the songs and bring em to the 'next level'.

Nice review, I'll vote yes.

AtavanHalen
June 5th 2008

As I saw "12 Stones are..." I feared a track by track. You fufilled my fears. Congratulations.

Wizard

20202 Comments

Hey Bobby,
Hows the lit review coming?

Not bad for a first review. TBT's don't usually fly well around here and I would probably describe the sound a bit more. Good to see someone I personally know using this site now!

June 5th 2008

hey if I can fulfill something, I'm happy haha.

I've read some TBT reviews on here and thought it was an interesting way of doing it. Had I done more research, I would have realized they're not a favourite. I'll try something different on the next review.

AtavanHalen
June 6th 2008

It's just not a professional way of doing it. You'll never see a reviewer for RS or whatever doing it like that. They rarely ever write in third person, as well, so try not to.
Take track-by-track notes and then turn that into a proper review. More detail, as well:

1. Crash 4/5
The highlight of the song is Eric's great solo.

That doesn't, for example, tell me a goddamn thing.

ReturnToRock
May 20th 2009

meh...generic as all hell get out.

my life and fade away are GREAT songs, but instead of delivering on that, the guys just play it safe and end up being the kind of band you devote attention to for three minutes when the song plays on the radio, then forget forever.

Maniac!
September 18th 2010

Love this album, even if it is just pure nostalgia

BROKEEEEEEEN

Emim
May 17th 2011

The Way I Feel is far and away my favorite song from this.

foreverendeared

Potter's Field

May 17th 2011

The Way I Feel is definitely my favorite too.

YouGotLucky
May 7th 2012

this is oome of the worst mainstream rock ive ever had the displeasure of hearing jesus H christ this is awful

'hate da way i feel 2nite' 'promise 2 make da sacrifice' wow really clever cassanova

Emim
May 8th 2012

I see they let you out of the enclosure.

May 8th 2012

It's no Slipknot, that's for sure