">

Judas Priest
British Steel

by caspian USER (6 Reviews)
January 21st, 2005 | 8 replies

Release Date: 1980 | Tracklist

This and Painkiller have generally been recognised not only as Priest's finest's albums but also as metal classics. One listen to this album and its not hard to see why. This album is pretty old, it was made in 1980. Yet it still sounds fresh, and except for the few cheesy moments, it could be written today.

Judas Priest's strengths lie in 3 different areas. The first one is Rob Halford's incredible voice. He has one of the most influential voices of all time. He can do high pitched screaming, he can do some great growling, and he can also sing really well. A good example of this would be the song Rapid Fire, and United., but really, this entire album has great singing.

Another area is the riffs. Yu dont have to go very far for great riffs in this record.. Breaking the Law, Rapid Fire, Metal Gods, Living after Midnight, every single song has a great riff in it. The riffs Judas Priest wrote have inspired evertyone from Metaliica to Killswitch Engage to Slayer to Decapitated. They're crunchy, ballsy riffs.

The 3rd is Judas Priest's commitment to Metal, and to Youth. You dont really have to look any further then the cheesiest song on the album "United." The chorus "United united united we stand, united we stand one and all." There's also "You dont have to be old to be wise" and the like. Bands who try to sell with teenage angst should take note of Judas Priest. Instead of whinging about there childhood, theyre trying to lift the next generation up. Good stuff.

So from the points I made there.. Judas Priest have it all. Good heavy riffs, great vocals, and a down to Earth connection with the kids. All this is a great recipe for one of the best metal albums ever made.

Standout tracks:
Breaking the Law
Rapid Fire

Jars Of Clay If I Left The ZooThe Dillinger Escape Plan The Dillinger Escape Plan
Khanate Things ViralISIS Panopticon
Jars Of Clay Jars Of Clay

EdwardTheGreat
January 22nd 2005

Whilst you make some very good points about Judas Priest, you dont mention the songs very much.

caspian
January 23rd 2005

I know. Wasnt one of my best reviews.

Priestmetal
February 9th 2005

Personally i cant agree more with everything u said about Priest but personally i think British steel is a poor album.

sunsinger
August 10th 2005

I agree. It has some good songs, but it's really quite over-rated. There are many other better Priest albums.

Priestmetal
August 11th 2005

Yea most people who say they dont like Judas Priest have only heard songs form this album and/ or Turbo.

Sunsinger check out my Sad Wings of Destiny review.

gnrowns
October 15th 2006

I just bought this album and I heard it was the best Judas Priest album out there but I was kind of dissapointed when only Breakin the Law and Livin After Midnight stood out but the added track red, white, and blue was okThis Message Edited On 10.14.06

Baldrick
December 20th 2006

Not their best, yes, but still awesome.

Except for "You don't have to be old to be wise"

That blows

Mikesn
December 20th 2006

This whole record blows.

Except for "Metal Gods," and "Breaking the Law"

Those are pretty cool.This Message Edited On 12.20.06