The Bled
Silent Treatment

by IsItLuck? EMERITUS
September 30th, 2007 | 52 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Bled’s third full length, Silent Treatment, is not much different from their first two albums in a featureless collection of songs.

The Bled have come a long way since their debut album Pass the Flask. It was a hit with the vast majority of the hardcore scene as their exposure seemed to exponentially blow up with each month that passed. The latest proof of The Bled’s increasing exposure has come with the Projekt Revolution tour that featured mainstream hits such as My Chemical Romance and Linkin Park. This increasing publicity can further catapult their name in the music industry. Unfortunately, with their latest album Silent Treatment, The Bled are quickly running out of ideas and running away from what once made unique.

The album does not take long to explode with “Shadetree Mechanics,” a song that is an energetic explosion of guitar riffs and meticulously constructed drumming. They picked the best choice for the first song because it gives you a glimpse of the pieces of the rest of the album. Unfortunately, with that fact, the rest of the album becomes less and less of a surprise as it goes along. “You Should Be Ashamed Of Myself,” as cheesy lyrically as it is a song title (‘I’m one lucky son of a bitch/ you need to keep your losing streak/ I’ve got one more trick up my sleeve/ does that work for you" It works for me baby’), is another intricately planned hardcore assault. With high-pitched guitar screeches and the occasional audible bass, it maintains the same adrenaline level that “Shadetree Mechanics” left. Equally loud, “Threes Away,” does not have anything that stands out musically. It is loud, has a chorus like the last song (clean singing with an attempt at catchiness), and just sounds far too similar. After which, there is a change in pace and sound with this album with perhaps the best song on the album.

“Asleep On The Front Lines,” is easily the most intimate song on the album. In addition, it is where James Munoz’s vocal work is the best it has ever been. His vocals have progressed light years in the aspect of ‘clean’ singing. “Asleep On The Front Lines” and “The Silver Lining” are one of the few that showcase Munoz’s surprisingly good, non-screamed vocal work. In addition to that, the guitar and bass riffs are actually interesting in the beginning of “Asleep On The Front Lines.” With a unique and melodic guitar riff that eventually pairs up with the second guitar, it sounds strikingly good. Yet, the guitars are slowly drowned out as the song changes back to the normal, heavy intensity level.

Touching back upon Munoz's vocal work, while occasionally having a deeper scream, (“Some Just Vanish”) it has not been refined to be any better than it was. Elsewhere musically, the sixty-one second “Platonic Sleepover Massacre” packs a powerful and beautiful feel, between brutal guitar and drum fills and the ending vocal harmony. “Breathing Room Barricades” and “Some Just Vanish” are two songs with the most technical guitar work The Bled have done so far on the album. They include, what have become apparent, subtle and almost low key breakdowns with noticeable tapping riffs to make the two songs stick out. Besides that point, the album becomes unremarkable and forgettable. “Starving Artiste,” “The Silver Lining,” and “Beheaded My Way” all lack serious instrumental clarity. There are barely any melodies between guitars (unless it is during the chorus where the harmonize power chords, watch out for these guys) which hinder any attempt to make the album to sound gorgeous and technical at the same time.

Silent Treatment is an album I want to like, but there is no way around the fact it is uninspiring. Maybe I do not get what they are doing, or what they are aiming for as a band, but I tend to disagree. The biggest problem with this album, that ultimately gives validity to my previous statement, is they did it twice already. Worse than that, this album has barely the amount of standout songs that made Pass the Flask and Found in the Flood more than enjoyable. If this was The Bled’s debut album, I would probably think higher of it, but Silent Treatment is a blur, lost with its repetitive sound that is comparable to their past albums. At times, it is simply a wall of sound, and it is hard to decipher anything. I hope that for their sake, The Bled can recover from a very same-y album and ultimately look past what has become a wall of sound.

Glassjaw Coloring BookNo Age Everything In Between
United Nations Never Mind the Bombings, Here's Your Six FiguresFar At Night We Live
Nas & Damian Marley Distant RelativesLCD Soundsystem This Is Happening
cryptside (3.5)
They prove here that they have the ability to write songs that push the envelope and challenge the n...

McDiggitz (4.5)
Don't count your chickens before they become a hardcore band and rock....

IsItLuck?
September 30th 2007

Ugh I forgot to mention how the album artwork is simply terrible.

September 30th 2007

They sucked at Projekt Revolution.

Nah the tour was good.

September 30th 2007

I liked pass the flask, not sure if im gonna check this out.

Digging: CZARFACE - Every Hero Needs a Villain

ToWhatEnd
September 30th 2007

Yeah dude the tour was good. The Bled were decent at my stop. Plus no one's suckage could keep up with Julian K's, yikes. But I'm not surprised this is merely average, it was shaping up for a 3 at best. Also fix the "an featureless" your summary.

IsItLuck?

thx babe.

plane
September 30th 2007

review sucks. why didn't you get someone to proofread it :|

edit: okay now i actually read it. is good. i never liked the bled so i won't check this out.This Message Edited On 09.30.07

September 30th 2007

Plus no one's suckage could keep up with Julian K's, yikes.

Oh God they were so bad. Them and Placebo.

CushMG15
September 30th 2007

This is about what I expected to hear about this album. I liked what I listened too off of the stream, but it's only because I did it in pieces.

i am the robots
October 1st 2007

average metalcore is average, and consequently boring

ToWhatEnd
October 1st 2007

Julian K was like has-been rock, except for the fact that they are nobodies. I was in concession lines for Placebo and only heard a little bit. The funny thing about this whole little bit about Projekt Revolution is HIM hasn't even been brought up. I was actually surprised a bit during their set. The number of cigarette's Ville smoked wasn't even the only thing that impressed me, they were solid.

Confessed2005
October 1st 2007

Pass the Flask was cool but I'll think I'll take a pass on this one.

Xenocide
October 1st 2007

People who say "they will skip the album" really pisses me off.

You don't know how good/bad it is until you listen to it.

I haven't heard the album yet, but i will soon.This Message Edited On 10.01.07

jrowa001
October 1st 2007

this was a disappointment for me. i really enjoyed Pass the Flask and Found In the Flood. this is just boring even though i like one or two of the songs

Aficionado
October 1st 2007

My friend is in love with this album. He thinks its abstract and really "original". Bad taste, but great guy.

Two-Headed Boy
October 1st 2007

Horrible band, especially live.

Regi

Its an "ok" album,

Slightly better than Found in the Flood,

Not quite Pass The Flask though

But Starving Artiste and The Silver Lining are definitely good songs from this album!

lunchforthesky
October 1st 2007

It's boring. Found in the Flood showed promise it's a shame they just went back to the thrash so to speak rather than building on the more progressive and eclectic elements.

spades777
October 2nd 2007

I agree with this review, i've pretty much found that every release by this band has just been a mishmash of good and bad songs, rarely anything in between. You could fit all of thier good songs from their entire catalog on a single album, where the fewest amount of songs featured would be those from this album.

CushMG15
October 3rd 2007

I obtained a copy of this today, and thus far I'm pretty underwhelmed.