Heaven Shall Burn
Whatever It May Take

by Kyle Ward EMERITUS
August 23rd, 2007 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

The rawness of Whatever It May Take really drives home the point that Heaven Shall Burn are making. They are, and always have been, a very political band, and Whatever It May Take is easily their most angry, most gritty, and most politically-charged album. Fitting, then, that Heaven Shall Burn’s sophomore effort is also their heaviest and most aggressive, because these attributes bring the sincerity of their message to another level entirely. The slicing riffs are both heavy in the rhythm and winding in the lead, unleashing melodies that have a bite to them due to the sheer weight of the crushing instruments backing them. The subtle catchiness of tracks like “The Martyrs’ Blood” works alongside the more overt leads of “Implore the Darken Sky”, or even the brutal aggression of “The Fire” or the soaring keys of “The Few Upright”, giving Whatever It May Take a depth that Heaven Shall Burn have yet to touch since.

This type of metalcore is hard to get right, because not only does its message have to be sincere, but the songwriting has to be up to par to support the weight of the lyrical inspiration. Not only have Heaven Shall Burn penned a masterstroke in terms of songwriting, they have produced it right and laid it out with frightening precision. The muddiness of the riffing lends a sense of deep heaviness to the record that is reminiscent of many death metal releases, accenting the relatively simple melodies in a way that gives them a lot more body than they may have otherwise. The band later re-released this record with a cleaner production akin to their later material, but with it they lost a lot of the attitude and effectiveness that the original pressing of Whatever It May Take contained. There is rarely a break in the smashing instrumentation, but then again there is enough melody for the listener to not need one. Their cover of Point of No Return’s “Casa de Coboclo” showcases a vocal range from Marcus Bischoff that we have not heard before or since, with gutturals, punk-like grunts, and ripping screams that gives the track a huge boost of variety.

Amidst fierce drumming and punishing chords the bass is lost, but that is really minor given the grand scheme of things, because the guitars pack enough punch to carry the album forward. The order of the tracks is perfect, and the fact that it is worth pointing out is proof of that, with the more intricate numbers spread evenly around the short, brutal tracks. The uniqueness of tracks like “The Few Upright” - a short song at just over two minutes – with its impossibly heavy opening giving way to surging keyboards and a heartfelt explosion of screams from Bischoff is something that is completely out-of-character for this band, but in the best possible way. There are surprises all over Whatever It May Take, whether it be a crushing verse, an unexpected catchy riff, or a fantastic cover song – the album stays with you long after it is over. I have listened to Whatever It May Take more than any other metalcore record, and to this day there isn’t a more fully-realized work of art than this simple – but deep – display of pure, heartfelt aggression.

Kauan KaihoInsomnium Winter's Gate
Be'lakor VesselsNovembre Ursa
Swallow the Sun Songs From The North I, II & IIIKauan Sorni Nai
Damrod EMERITUS (3.5)

jrowa001
August 23rd 2007

i have Antigone and Deaf To Our Prayers which both i like a bit, ill give this one a listen soon i guess. good review

Zoo
August 23rd 2007

Is this really that good? I think Antigone was pretty decent so I will probably check this album out.

August 23rd 2007

It's more straightforward than Antigone, I like it because it sounds heavier.

Zoo

[quote=Crysis]it sounds heavier[/quote]

That's always a good thing.

Damrod
August 24th 2007

I really want to check out the re-recorded version of this. The production was what always kinda turned this down for me.

Good work on the review though :thumb:

Confessed2005
August 24th 2007

Brutal band, pretty good stuff. Nice little review.

August 24th 2007

kinda turned this down for me.

Good work on the review though

The production on the original is much better imo

Wizard

20201 Comments

Excellent review, but I feel Antigone was there only solid release. This was just a taste of things to come.

August 24th 2007

This is their best record

Writer
November 21st 2009

The remastered version of this sounds like their more recent albums as far as production goes; this is definitely a good thing in my opinion.

Since it is more heavier, this is taking more time to grow on me. I think I'm starting to hear the tracks I'll like the best.

FR33L0RD
August 10th 2011

Powerful & very heavy straight to the point album with almost no weakness in the genre.

InFlamesWeThrash666
July 10th 2014

I should check this,band is solid as fak

Digging: Sabbat (JPN) - The Dwelling

FearThyEvil
September 9th 2014

growing on me a lot.

Toondude10
November 11th 2014

Album is sweet, but I like Antigone a bit more.

Digging: Ice Nine Kills - The Silver Scream

InFlamesWeThrash666
March 20th 2015

Title track fuckin rules

Toondude10
April 29th 2015

shame that you rarely see the original version of this.

DeadGuy
June 20th 2015

Never heard the reissue and I don't want to. I hate when they change the tracklist on shit

Digging: Pig Destroyer - Head Cage

BlackwaterPork

WE ARE THE POISONED YOUTH

Digging: mewithoutYou - [Untitled]

swipenet

Damn, dat rating discrepancy

AdolfChrist
November 23rd 2017

the kick drums sound like absolute shit on the original.

Digging: Ad Nauseam - Nihil Quam Vacuitas Ordinatum Est