Jimi Hendrix
Smash Hits

by sonictheplumber USER (114 Reviews)
April 10th, 2007 | 5 replies

Release Date: 1968 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Another compilation review. This time it's Jimi Hendrix instead of Queen.

Jimi Hendrix is usually considered as the greatest guitarist of all-time. Some people agree with this. Some don't. Some don't like his distortion. Some just like the styles of other greats such as Brian May of Queen and Duane Allman of The Allman Brothers Band better. I, however, think that he is an excellent guitarist. He is one of the greatest guitarists of all-time, and you can't really argue with that. I suppose you can, but you have to admit that he is good.

This album, which was originally titled Smash Hits, was released in 1969 in the USA. It was the first Jimi Hendrix compilation album, but many more came over the years. This one was rereleased in 2005 under the 20th Century Masters series. Now, I usually hate those type of compilation albums. Especially the Motley Crue 20th Century Masters CD. But this is a great compilation. I can guarantee that it wouldn't be as good as it is if it wasn't just Smash Hits in a different CD case and different cover.

This is a great album to just kick back and relax to. The songs are laid-back and fun to listen to, and they have that distinct 60's sound to them. The guitar, of course, is excellent. Hendrix could certainly play. The guitar sounds in the solo of the Bob Dylan cover All Along The Watchtower are extremely innovative and excellently played. I'm talking about the part that goes "beeew, beedeew, beebeew," or whatever. That's the best I can describe it.

Jimi Hendrix is the vocalist, guitarist, and main member of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, but the drums and bass are great too. The drums are fast and innovative, especially in songs like Fire. The drums in that are extremely fun to listen to, and they sound great. The bass is very good too, performed by the now deceased as of 2003 Noel Redding. He is a very underrated bassist I think. He adds that funky 60's sound to the music, making it sound even better. Of course he's not as good as the likes of Geddy Lee of Rush, Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, and others, but still very good.

Now that I have described the instrumentation, it's time to discuss the twelve songs on this cheap little seven dollars and fifty cents CD. Twelve songs doesn't sound like a lot for a compilation, but since this is so cheap, it's worth it. Plus, these twelve songs that were picked out for this album are some of the best Hendrix had to offer. Of course, there's Purple Haze, Crosstown Traffic, Foxey Lady and the aforementioned classics Fire and All Along The Watchtower, but there are some lesser known songs as well that are great songs too. Stone Free, The Wind Cries Mary and others are great and fun songs. Every single song has something good about it.

So, boys and girls, what have we learned" We have learned that even if a compilation doesn't have two discs containing thirty songs on each disc with four hours of material, it doesn't mean it's not good. This is a great buy for the casual Hendrix fan, because it has all of the classic rock radio staples, as well as a few lesser known gems. It's probably the cheapest CD they have at my local Wal-Mart besides some $5.88 compilations of bands that no one's interested in, like The Cars and such. It's a fun and laid-back listen and it's just an overall great compilation.

Best Tracks:
Purple Haze
Fire
All Along The Watchtower
Hey Joe
Crosstown Traffic
Stone Free

But every track is great, or very good.

4/5

Recommended for purchase by Sonictheplumber

ZZ Top Tres HombresBeherit Seventh Blasphemy (Demo)
Johnny Winter Live Johnny Winter AndCeltic Frost Emperor's Return
Fates Warning No ExitWatchtower Energetic Disassembly
metallicaman8 (4.5)

MrKite (4)

Two-Headed Boy
April 10th 2007

Little Wing is the only Henrix song I love. Otherwise, I could live without.
Good review, though.

monkey_dancer
April 11th 2007

Nice short review there, but I really can't listen to Hendrix. Sure, he was an alright guitarist, but I just get bored of the pointless solos and otherwise poor songs.This Message Edited On 04.11.07

CockeyedMaverik
April 12th 2007

im happy you're just getting into hendrix but you dont seem to have an understanding of what jimi has to offer. sure these are a few of his classics but he has soo much more to offer. i think this compilation is misrepresented in a lot of people's minds. a lot of poeple will listen to it and think this is the best jimi has to offer and thats why its in the greatest hits. really this is just what was popular while he was still alive. if u want a greatest hits compilation, u have to listen to the boxset. as true with most good musicians, there's just to much "best stuff"

March 5th 2012