Aerosmith
Permanent Vacation

by shema13 USER (1 Reviews)
December 26th, 2006 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is great album that has a lot of very strong songs on it and is (in my opinion) one of their best efforts.

Aerosmith

Permanent Vacation

Steven Tyler - Lead vocals, Piano and harmonica.
Joe Perry - Guitars and backing vocal.
Brad Whitford - Guitars.
Tom Hamilton - Bass guitar.
Joey Kramer - Drums.

Aerosmith, one of America's most successful bands of all time, formed in 1970 in Boston Massachusetts by Steven Tyler.
Permanent Vacation was Aerosmith's 9th studio release and sold around 6,000,000 copies. Permanent Vacation has songs that we all know like "Dude (looks like a lady)", "Rag doll" and "Angel" plus many other tracks that are great to listen to. On this record Aerosmith experimented with a more "pop-rock" sound on some of the tracks than previous releases, and even though I'm not a huge fan on pop-rock, this is my favorite Aerosmith album.

Song ratings:

Heart's done time - this song starts off with the sounds of birds chirping in a rain forest and around 20 seconds in has the feed back from a guitar followed by the drums and Steven Tyler's jungle call thingy he does (Don’t know how to explain it exactly), then this awesome riff comes in with the verse. This is a track that I've skipped in the past but over time I've grown to love it. 4.5/5

Magic touch - This track starts with the drums and guitar with this guitar fill thingy after a few bars. This song is good too but is not as good as the opener. 3.5/5

Rag doll - One of my favorite Aerosmith songs, it talks about life in show business. Starts with a short drum intro followed by the guitars and then the bass. The verse is awesome musically and vocally and the chorus is just as great. This is one of the songs on the album that uses brass instruments; this song uses them in the chorus and bridge. 5/5

Simoriah - This song is another that I never really listened to but just recently discovered how good it was, the verse is fairly upbeat and driven by the guitars and Tyler's vocals. 4/5

Dude looks like a lady - This is one of Aerosmith's most well know songs and is a good one too. This is another of the albums tracks that use brass instruments, this works well with the song. The solo is awesome, as are the drums, bass and vocals. 5/5

ST. john - This song starts with Joey doing a swing beat on the hi-hat and a very dark and evil sounding blues riff that lasts most of the song. It's a real good song track that isn't one of my favorites, but is still great to listen to. 4/5

Hangman jury - This is a song that I've always liked cause it's pretty catchy, plus I like the sound of the harmonica in it. It's a very bluesy song like ST. John but is slightly better than it in my opinion. 4.5/5

Girl keeps coming apart - Another song that uses brass in it. I can't quite put my finger on it but I just don’t like this song that much, it's ok but I tend to skip it a lot. 2.5/5

Angel - This is a great song with a lot of feel in it. It starts with Joey doing a little drum intro then gets straight into it. It's a typical 80s power ballad, but just I love it so much. 5/5

Permanent vacation - The title track, and it's a good one. It starts with the guitar riff and jungle sounds followed by a plane landing and Joey with the snare drum. The song has steel drums in it and makes me feel like I'm in the Caribbean. I love this song; therefore I'm giving it. 5/5

I'm down - This is a song that was written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney and performed by the Beatles. I've never heard the original but this version is a good one, very upbeat and rocky. 4/5

The movie- This is an instrumental song that is very strange and mysterious. It's not the best song here but is far from the worst. 4/5

Best tracks:
Dude (looks like a lady)Rag doll
Permanent vacation
Angel

Album rating: 4.5/5

shema13
December 26th 2006

This is my first review so be gentle

Fuff24
December 31st 2009

okay

thetempler
November 7th 2012

good review, i think this album is awesome one of if not the best aerosmith album

okay [2]

lol wow 3 comments in 6 years

April 19th 2013

must be a fantastic album

April 19th 2013

rag doll is a sick track

April 19th 2013

is it anything like crazy?

way better

Titan
June 22nd 2013

Magic Touch is awesome

miketunneyiscool123
June 22nd 2015

Ending with "The Movie" was odd imo, but it's a good release.

jayt851
December 29th 2016

This is a very underrated album

Digging: Anthrax - Chile On Hell

jayt851
December 21st 2017

This was one of the best comeback albums of its time